A wee question I have- (WoW Spoilers).

A wee question. 

Arianne is at Ghost hill on the Dorne coast beside the broken arm west of the stepstones, talking with Lady Nymella and Valena. They are speaking of troubles in the sea close to home and something made me curious.

First, this is WoW so the journey of the Redwyne fleet through stepstones could well be them returning home to face Euron Greyjoy. If we assume it is. 
Next, they speak of Ironborn reavers, are we to believe they mean that Ironborn are reaving north of the stepstones up the narrow sea? I thought when Victarion headed east to Slavers bay, and he stopped off the stepstones, he split his fleet in three but all still headed east. I don't recall any conmand for a party of reavers to pass the stepstones and head north. And I'm not sure if Euron sent ahead reavers in that direction either.

Check the quote. 

"You were wise not to come by sea. Since the Redwyne fleet passed through the Stepstones, those waters are crawling with strange sails, all the way north to the Straights of Tarth and Shipbreaker's Bay. Myrmen, Volantenes, Lyseni, even reavers from the Iron Islands."

Any thoughts? 

13 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

First, this is WoW so the journey of the Redwyne fleet through stepstones could well be them returning home to face Euron Greyjoy. If we assume it is.

It is. Loras storming & (supposedly) taking Dragonstone is what finally allowed Cersei to release the Redwyne Fleet so they could return home to defend their region (they should've just left some ships there & gone anyway once news reached them, in fact; taking just about the entire fleet to the Narrow Sea was stupid overkill from Paxter when the Ironborn under Balon, although quite intent on the North, could still easily raid the Reach at the same time).

18 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Any thoughts?

This likely isn't all happening simultaneously (though some would be close to each other), just the Tolands receiving various reports. It's likely that Vic's fleet engaged in some opportunistic reaving whilst in the Stepstones (seaborne at least) & even if not; the Stepstones have been the major area where the Ironborn have done much of their reaving since at least the Conquest (with only Dalton, Dagon & Balon really renewing it to any notable level in Westeros), due to the naval & military power of the unified Seven Kingdoms (plus dragons especially in the early days). I'm guessing Valena is just expressing surprise at such though as the Ironborn had been occupied in the North & far more recently in the Reach under Euron.

3 minutes ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

It is. Loras storming & (supposedly) taking Dragonstone is what finally allowed Cersei to release the Redwyne Fleet so they could return home to defend their region (they should've just left some ships there & gone anyway once news reached them, in fact; taking just about the entire fleet to the Narrow Sea was stupid overkill from Paxter when the Ironborn under Balon, although quite intent on the North, could still easily raid the Reach at the same time).

This likely isn't all happening simultaneously (though some would be close to each other), just the Tolands receiving various reports. It's likely that Vic's fleet engaged in some opportunistic reaving whilst in the Stepstones (seaborne at least) & even if not; the Stepstones have been the major area where the Ironborn have done much of their reaving since at least the Conquest (with only Dalton, Dagon & Balon really renewing it to any notable level in Westeros), due to the naval & military power of the unified Seven Kingdoms (plus dragons especially in the early days). I'm guessing Valena is just expressing surprise at such though as the Ironborn had been occupied in the North & far more recently in the Reach under Euron.

There is a distinct mention of "all the way north to the straights of Tarth and ship breakers bay". It doesn't seem like she is expressing a concern of pirate activity just around the stepstones, she makes a point of saying all the way north. Is Ironborn reeaving around the stepstones much of a surprise? I didn't think so personally. I was wondering if There is a possibility a party of ironborn are reaving north of the stepstones, now that is something that would merit a surprised response like "even reavers from the iron islands".

I don't think she specifically says that the reavers from the Iron Islands are north of the Stepstones just that at least 1 of the types of ships she mentions are. We know that Aurane Waters would have come down from that direction, and that the ships that transported the Golden Company landed all over that area.

11 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I don't think she specifically says that the reavers from the Iron Islands are north of the Stepstones just that at least 1 of the types of ships she mentions are. We know that Aurane Waters would have come down from that direction, and that the ships that transported the Golden Company landed all over that area.

Agreed. Whilst it may be possible for that there actually are offshoot Ironborn reaving a fair way north of the Stepstones, it makes virtually no sense to do so in the open ocean (a myriad of benefits to be found in the waters in the Stepstones instead) unless they were specifically catching up with & targeting say the Volantene ships carrying the GC to the Stormlands, but then again that makes even less sense. Valena was just listing off all the groups of ships that had been around & through the Stepstones lately, whilst pointing out some non-specifically had been in the Stormlands waters though.

@aryagonnakill#2 @Lord Corlys Velaryon

I hear you guys, I do. It's strange though, every time I read the passage, it honestly seems like she has an element of surprise that there's Ironborn ships in sight, which wouldn't be a surprise around the stepstones. And the passage definitely seems to lump them together as being spotted north of the stepstones although for sure it can be interpreted to mean there's ships  around the stepstones and also North. 

Its cool, in any event my interest was concerning another topic I'm writing on that would be slightly more interesting if there is Ironborn still in the area, which we can be sure there are. 

There certainly seems to be another party of Ironborn reavers in the area that have either been left behind/lost by Vic(he did lose ships I'm sure), or sent ahead to scout by Euron but we haven't read specifically about them yet. 

15 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Actually, Redwyne had no choice but to send all his ships to Cersei. Cersei was holding his twin sons hostage. When the Reach sided with Renly, Redwyne remained loyal to the crown (Lannisters) because his twin sons were in KL when Mace took most of the rest of the Reach with him to Renly.

@Macgregor of the North I've long thought that Euron was tailing Vic & the Iron Fleet, especially when taking into consideration Red Ralf Stonehouse missing himself, along with the majority of the fasted third of the fleet that Vic had put under his command (perhaps tying into Euron possibly being the Corsair King). So whether true or not, that could be a possibility that they are attached to Euron (scoping out the Stormlands waters area given all the recent activity & perhaps for a landing? Though I'd guess after the Arbor/Oldtown, Euron seems like the kind of guy who would just go straight for KL) ...

Spoiler

But with Aeron I, though still really quite early within the very late Feast (maybe)/late Dance/early TWoW timeline wise, it seems that Euron plans to deal with the Redwyne fleet first before heading off to Slaver's Bay (if he does at all).

Alternatively, I suppose it could be possible that they are laggers of Vic's fleet who got blown off-course in a storm (seems unlikely though, because the numbers add up to basically none being lost before Vic split the Iron Fleet into three parts & they started making their way east - presumably such longships would have to be blown through the Stepstones!). It might even just be a group of Ironborn that have made their haunt in the Stepstones at least since before ACoK, without returning home, & mayhaps all of the larger parties in the Stepstones recently had them decide to flee north to one of the (possibly uninhabited) islands around Estermont.

32 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Actually, Redwyne had no choice but to send all his ships to Cersei. Cersei was holding his twin sons hostage. When the Reach sided with Renly, Redwyne remained loyal to the crown (Lannisters) because his twin sons were in KL when Mace took most of the rest of the Reach with him to Renly.

Cersei holding Horos & Hobber hostage only kept Paxter & the Redwyne Fleet neutral, o/w there likely would've been time for it to be used against Stannis. The reason that the Redwynes still get so handsomely rewarded (30 years remission of taxes on certain Arbor vintages for one) is because the "Baratheon" regime had sfa naval power after the Blackwater & the Redwyne Fleet was meant to effectively act as the Royal one for quite a time to come (likely through the rest of autumn & winter at least). The Redwyne fleet doesn't set out until at least the Purple Wedding & doesn't make it to Dragonstone until well into Feast:

"Until Lord Redwyne brings his fleet up, we lack the ships to assail Dragonstone." (A Storm of Swords, Tyrion I)

And Paxter Redwyne claimed his fleet would soon set sail from the Arbor, to begin the long voyage around Dorne and through the Stepstones. Stannis's Lyseni pirates would be outnumbered ten to one. (A Storm of Swords, Tyrion VIII)

"Only the Arbor has sufficient galleys to retake the mouth of the Mander from the ironmen and protect my brothers from their longships during their crossing. I beg Your Grace, send word to Dragonstone and command Lord Redwyne to raise his sails at once."
At least he has the sense to beg. Paxter Redwyne owned two hundred warships, and five times as many merchant carracks, wine cogs, trading galleys, and whalers. Redwyne was encamped beneath the walls of Dragonstone, however, and the greater part of his fleet was engaged in ferrying men across Blackwater Bay for the assault on that island stronghold. The remainder prowled Shipbreaker Bay to the south, where only their presence prevented Storm's End from being resupplied by sea (A Feast for Crows, Cersei VII)

I doubt that the Redwyne fleet really has 200 warships & 1k merchant ships, & obviously some number would be off elsewhere in the world conducting business, along with a small number at home for defense & logistics; but the fleet with Paxter was overkill - even with ferrying forces for Dragonstone & patrolling Shipbreaker Bay. They knew Stannis wasn't at either too (by that last quote certainly), but all the way up at the Wall instead. It's like the extravagance of the Purple Wedding itself, simple cock-stroking, & having say a couple hundred extra ships than needed (even if just a few dozen could of been of some help in defending the Arbor &/or retreating back to Oldtown with people/goods) cost the Arbor & the Reach dearly when Euron had the Ironborn attack. Yes they presumed them tied up in the North, but they should all know as recently as Dagon that the Ironborn can reave much of the Sunset Sea, especially when so unopposed.

@Lord Corlys Velaryon i had read theories about Euron being the Corsair King but ive never delved too deep into that topic personally, yet. Im sure i read somewhere that Euron was in the Iron islands when the Corsair king was supposed to be raiding tall trees town? Id have to check all that though.

My question was just really to warm up to another thread i started today involving Salla, the claw isle treasure, VS axe, the kraken horn and potential for a battle with these ironborn reavers with all sorts of carnage with axes and krakens etc.

13 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

snip

12 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Snip

We know from the Damphair chapter recently read that Euron is still on the west coast of Westeros and is not the corsair King or tailing Vic. 

8 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

We know from the Damphair chapter recently read that Euron is still on the west coast of Westeros and is not the corsair King or tailing Vic. 

I'm not claiming Euron is/or is styling himself as the Corsair King, this thread is not about that in any way, the Damphair chapter read recently doesn't confirm or debunk it, and in any event it's irrelevant here. And I never mentioned he was trailing Vic either. 

And we actually know from the chapter that 

Spoiler

Euron is not still on the west coast but is sailing from a rock just off the Arbor to give the Hightower and Redwyne fleet battle. Which if he's successful, which I think he will be, should then see him attempt to sack Oldtown.

Archived