Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

The fairy tale final for me would be Wales/Iceland. However, O think that dream may be completely trashed in this round.

My team has their work cut out for them against Belgium. I'll be wearing my brand new Wales jersey but even that might not be enough.

Germany/Italy should decide the winner of this year's tournament. They are both far and away the best sides. 

Iceland has a chance against France. I actually think that England was the tougher opponent between the two teams because of France's weak back line. It is a small chance, but I will be pulling hard for these guys. They are by far the best story of the Cup.

Poland looked like they were finished in the last match. I'm thinking that Portugal will let them know that.

Portugal will definitely win, yes. Poland looked really poor by the end and it seems like Portugal is the kind of team that does much better in the knockout stage.

Wales vs Belgium could be a close one, but I would give Belgium the edge.

I think Italy will beat Germany, because they're more prepared, the Germans haven't been tested yet and probably think very highly of themselves for not receiving a goal yet. If Italy is able to score, the Germans will be shell-shocked and collapse.

France vs Iceland is interesting, because the French defense did look incredibly weak last match. Rami isn't going to play because he got two yellow cards, so France will have to come up with someone to replace him. Substituting a defender in the middle of the tournament usually weakens a team, but Rami has been kind of poor, so maybe they're stronger with a different guy. I think France will be able to handle Iceland and win something like 2-1. They will look really bad in the process, because Iceland has the strange ability to make any team look bad.

• Portugal - Poland - Portugal seems to have found the way to win close games and the match against Croatia could be just what they need to snap out of their slump. Or at least I'm hoping for that. Another snooze fest like pretty much their every match so far would be too much to bear.
  • Wales - Belgium - This one doesn't seem that close. Despite the obvious quality of Bale, Belgium has a serious advantage when it comes to talent.
  • Italy - Germany - Italy is the clear favourite to win the whole tournament, with the way they managed to cancel out both Belgium and Spain's attacks. Germany still don't seem to have found their feet in this tournament, despite beating Slovakia comfortably.
  • France - Iceland - Though I'd like nothing more in this tournament than another Iceland's victory, I don't think it's in the cards. Beating England has been a great result but I doubt France will just vanish from the game like England did.

Portugal ... I'm not sold on them. They did beat Croatia, but they were utterly non-threatening for 115 minutes. They did score three against Hungary, but only after Hungary scored themselves - and Belgium put four past the same Hungarian team. 

If Poland get a goal (and Lewandovsky, like Ronaldo, isn't one to write off), I think they'll get through. And I can't see the Poles doing a Croatia - that is every man in attack and invite a counter.

It'll be close, but since I still detest Pepe - Poland through. And Pepe sent off.

Poland v. Portugal: Tough one to call. Both sides have been pretty average. I'm going for a Poland win because.... Fuck Pepe!

Wales v. Belgium: The first goal here will be crucial. If Belgium get it then I see the game going similar to the Hungary match. If Wales get it then it will be a long evening for Belgium with Wales defending deep. I think the greater quality that Belgium possess will see them through.

Germany v. Italy: Another game where the first goal will be absolutely crucial. Tactically, Italy are the best side at the tournament. Conte understands his teams limitations and has instituted the perfect gameplan. Once again, I think that the extra bit of quality Germany possesses will tell in the end.

France v. Iceland: This is where the fairytale comes to an end. France to win comfortably.

I'm surprised at how many people are writing us off entirely. We haven't played the best, and the last half hour against Switzerland was a worry, but (1) we've had several days to recover (2) it probably won't be quite as hot later in the evening, which I think factored in that, (3) we're set up to play best on the counter, which we haven't really been able to do so far (except the end against Switzerland where our wingers were especially knackered), but which Portugal will invite, and (4) we've been average; Portugal have been worse.

I don't think we're any worse than Croatia at the moment, all this 'if they beat them they must beat Poland' which I've seen going around is nonsense. Croatia are definitely set up to control a game better, keep possession and all that, mostly because they have Modric, but that just isn't what we're going for. Reasonably solid defence and lightning counters down the wings to get the ball as quick as possible to the world-class- off form so far at the tournament but still dangerous- forward line, that's what we're after.

I think we'll surprise a few people. Certainly would be very disappointed to see us rolled over, if we lose it'll be close.

Eta: also hoping for an epic clash between Kung-Fu Pazdan and Pepe. As long as Pazdan doesn't get himself sent off, of course.

I really hope Poland win. They have actually been pretty good, but as Lewandowski and Milik have struggled for form they have not won as convincingly as they should've. In my opinion, Pazdan and Kapustka have been two of the most impressive unknowns of the tournament.

Though a bit late now, to post predicitons (sorry, the server is incredibly slow and takes ages for me to load a thread).

Poland - Portugal: Poland will go through (I wanted to post it before they took the lead)

Italy - Germany: Italy. They are Germany's boogieman.

France - Iceland: France. France are simply a better team than England, and they can outplay the Icelandic defense.

Belgium - Wales: Belgium. Simply too much of a difference in overall quality.

Archived