Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

1 hour ago, MercifulChief said:

isn't this like when ragnar attacked paris?

At this point it's more like the King of France punching Ragnar in the face, taking his longships, then sacking his mead hall.

The game was over in the first half where Iceland were completely outclassed. Credit to the Iceland side though, it would have been very easy for heads to drop and the game turn into an embarrassment. They showed alot of character and at least won the second half.

Iceland didn't play badly at all, but the slight drop in level from the Austria and England games was enough to let France in a little, which was all they needed. From the chances France had in the first half, you would expect only a goal or two but they were so ruthless and took four.

Yeah, loads of respect for the way Iceland neither gave up nor just turned it into a score-limiting exercise, but actually came out in the second determinded to play their way back in.

46 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

France's defense will have a lot of problems against Germany if they play like this.

Why? Apart from against Slovakia Germany have looked pretty tepid up front considering the control they can exert, and most of the problems Iceland caused France came from the kind of play Germany don't really do (and even less so with no Gomez).

If France turn up playing anything like that I think they'll win comfortably. The players Germany are missing will play into their hands perfectly.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, loads of respect for the way Iceland neither gave up nor just turned it into a score-limiting exercise, but actually came out in the second determinded to play their way back in.

Why? Apart from against Slovakia Germany have looked pretty tepid up front considering the control they can exert, and most of the problems Iceland caused France came from the kind of play Germany don't really do (and even less so with no Gomez).

If France turn up playing anything like that I think they'll win comfortably. The players Germany are missing will play into their hands perfectly.

The French defenders are still slow. Muller, Gotze, Draxler will beat them for balls when it counts.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The French defenders are still slow. Muller, Gotze, Draxler will beat them for balls when it counts.

The fullbacks are a little, Koscielny isn't and I haven't noticed Rami being particularly ponderous either. In any case in this match it wasn't pace that really did them in, most of their problems came from balls in the air and being outmuscled once Iceland managed to get past Matuidi and Pogba.

It's not a flawless defence, I just don't think Germany are the team that are going to really stick it up them.

Archived