Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

Great stuff from Wales and fully deserved too. A proper team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Shame that Ramsay and Davies will miss the semi.

Belgium have great individual talent but the performances are too inconsistent. Wilmots should do the honourable thing and resign. He clearly does not have the ability to take this talented side to the next level.

I'm feeling ambivalent about this. On the one hand, at the end of the game (before the 3rd Wales goal), the referee ignored several fouls in and around the Wales penalty area and one Wales handball definitely inside. He did give the Wales defenders yellow cards earlier on, but on the whole Wales had a bit of help there.

On the other hand, Belgium simply does not deserve to go to the semifinals with that defense. Practically every Wales corner led to either another corner or a scoring opportunity (the Belgians are lucky Wales only scored once). And for the second Wales goal, there were three defenders hanging around Robson-Kanu who did a grand total of nothing (I believe J. Lukaku was even so polite as to get out of the shot's way). I realize they're missing some players because of the yellow cards, but that defense is just terrible.

Incidentally, the yellow card suspensions are annoying. They should either do what the World Cup did and wipe the slate clean at the semifinal or implement some system wherein one needs more cards to be suspended in later rounds. There's some value to having the possibility of suspension, but it's not worth degrading the performance of teams in what should be the most exciting part of the tournament (i.e. the later rounds).

The yellow cards are wiped after the QF stage.

Belgium's defence was terrible and they are missing a number of players in that area through injury plus one suspension, which is a mitigating factor, but the major problem is that Belgium's gameplan simply boils down to 'give the ball to Hazard or KdB and hope they produce some individual brilliance'. Whenever they come up against a well organised side that are resolute in defence, they have no gameplan to cope with that and don't control the game very well. They also lack the mental toughness and character to overcome adversity. When thing are going well for them, they play great. When things are not going well, they fall apart far too easily.

What an unbelievably fun time I just had. There were a couple of hundred people in the bar I went to watching the match and there were about 15 cheering for Wales. I fully expected a loss today as I picked Belgium to get its act together during this tournament and live up to their potential. For the first 15 min, it looked like I was going to be right. Then came Ramsey, who was the center of everything today, and the rest of the team just gelled around him. 

What is so impressive about this win is that they did this on a night that Gareth Bale had an average match. He wasn't bad at all, but there isn't a scenario at all I could have foreseen with Wales beating Belgium that didn't include him having a phenomenal showing. To see this team come together and act in unison was a thing of beauty. Belgium should have won today. Wales had more heart.

Archived