Quarterfinals : Poland/Portugal, Wales/Belgium, Germany/Italy, France/Iceland

Awful stuff.  Pelle and Zaza what the hell.  And Muller looked like he couldn't give a fuck (although he was probably exhausted).  Howedes face when it was over was classic - cheeks puffed out in sheer relief.

8 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

I think this one beats both to be the worst ever.

It does. 

Tonight was actually a perfect drama. What in seven hells made me pick Thomas Müller as captain for my fantasy team?  Bonucci and Chiellini brought in probably a quater of all my points, respect to them. 

And I feel really sorry for the exit of Buffon, he became almost as dear to me as Dino Nazionale a long time ago.

The players looked afraid of the keepers. To be fair, these are two of the best keepers out there right now so it's justified, but if one doesn't know how to kick an unstoppable penalty, it's better to test the keeper than to miss the goal altogether while aiming for a corner.

Amusing fact: two fairly reliable trends collided in this match. On the one hand, Italy always beats Germany in the playoffs of major tournaments (I don't think Germany has ever beaten them before), but on the other, if a game in a major tournament goes to penalties, Germany almost always wins (their last loss was 40 years ago).

It's a pity that these two teams had to meet in the quarterfinals (the only way to avoid it was for one of them to deliberately play for second place in the group stage). The game was less exciting than some, but this is mainly because both sides made very few mistakes in the first hour or so. France is going to have a pretty hard time with Germany even if the latter is missing Khedira as well as Hummels.

29 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The players looked afraid of the keepers. To be fair, these are two of the best keepers out there right now so it's justified, but if one doesn't know how to kick an unstoppable penalty, it's better to test the keeper than to miss the goal altogether while aiming for a corner.

Amusing fact: two fairly reliable trends collided in this match. On the one hand, Italy always beats Germany in the playoffs of major tournaments (I don't think Germany has ever beaten them before), but on the other, if a game in a major tournament goes to penalties, Germany almost always wins (their last loss was 40 years ago).

It's a pity that these two teams had to meet in the quarterfinals (the only way to avoid it was for one of them to deliberately play for second place in the group stage). The game was less exciting than some, but this is mainly because both sides made very few mistakes in the first hour or so. France is going to have a pretty hard time with Germany even if the latter is missing Khedira as well as Hummels.

I think you mean Iceland, right? ;)

Cruel fortune scorned the Italians tonight. They used all their craft to eke out a draw against a better team and take it to the shoot-out, and then couldn't capitalize.  The Germans remain invincible in shoot-outs, albeit slightly crap. 

Time to end extra-time.  Just go straight to a shoot-out, which they used in the Copa this time.  The extra 30 minutes is rarely good football, makes the players too tired to take a good penalty, and exhaustion takes a toll in the next match too. 

I hope the Wales/Iceland final happens.  That would make this really memorable. 

2 hours ago, Immobile Buffon said:

Cruel fortune scorned the Italians tonight. They used all their craft to eke out a draw against a better team and take it to the shoot-out, and then couldn't capitalize.  The Germans remain invincible in shoot-outs, albeit slightly crap. 

Time to end extra-time.  Just go straight to a shoot-out, which they used in the Copa this time.  The extra 30 minutes is rarely good football, makes the players too tired to take a good penalty, and exhaustion takes a toll in the next match too. 

I hope the Wales/Iceland final happens.  That would make this really memorable. 

I'd much rather see play extended indefinitely to a golden goal. 

I wonder if the very poor extension performance is due to the main game having become faster and more strenuous. Of course, it is a long time ago and for some of them I was fairly small kid but I seem to remember rather exciting extensions (with 2 goals for each side or so) from the 1980s and 90s.

Or maybe it is because the tactics were less defensive and with more tired players there was a better chance for goals. Fewer goals and lots of draws/extensions seem to be the prize for an overall faster and more athletic game.

I hate penalties. It is exciting to watch but I always feels that it is a lottery.

Despite the disastrous failings at penalty shooting last night, I felt the end result was deserved because the penalty because of the handball was regular but somewhat excessive. This is another problem with so few goals: if a typical score was 5:3 instead of 1:2, a penalty for a mild (non-decisive, he did not grasp a ball that would have scored a goal) offense would usually not matter so much.

Very entertaining game in the end, but the right result, I felt.

If I live to be 100 I will never understand what possessed Boateng to do what he did. It was a blatant handball and very much a merited penalty. It was a shame, because he played extremely well for 119 minutes and 50 seconds and then in one moment, he does something inexplicably stupid. But I was impressed by how he played afterwards: he must've been upset (in fact, you could see he was, at the end of normal time) but he kept playing well. And he scored his penalty, so some measure of redemption there. (I was pleased Kimmich scored as well: he seemed really nervous for most of the game, a missed penalty could have really damaged him.)

The loss of Khedira could be critical: let's see how bad his injury is. I suspect he'll be OK by the semi-final.

Conte can be proud of what he achieved with limited resources: Italy played well but just lost out.

6 hours ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

Very entertaining game in the end, but the right result, I felt.

If I live to be 100 I will never understand what possessed Boateng to do what he did. It was a blatant handball and very much a merited penalty. It was a shame, because he played extremely well for 119 minutes and 50 seconds and then in one moment, he does something inexplicably stupid. But I was impressed by how he played afterwards: he must've been upset (in fact, you could see he was, at the end of normal time) but he kept playing well. And he scored his penalty, so some measure of redemption there. (I was pleased Kimmich scored as well: he seemed really nervous for most of the game, a missed penalty could have really damaged him.)

The loss of Khedira could be critical: let's see how bad his injury is. I suspect he'll be OK by the semi-final.

Conte can be proud of what he achieved with limited resources: Italy played well but just lost out.

Well, I can tell you what he said. He put his hands as far away from his opponent as possible, so that there's no chance the referee can award a penalty to the Italians. Then the ball came flying, and he could get his hands out of the way fast enough. The result was a penalty all the same. 

Costly victory for Germany.

Gomez (the only real forward in their squad) is out for the rest of the tournament, Khedira very likely out for the semi-final, and it's doubtful whether he could play in a final, Schweinsteiger also possibly out for the semi-final with some strained ligaments in his knee, and Hummels is suspended for the semi-final. 

Funny side note, every EPL player on the pitch yesterday has missed their penalty.

Schweinsteiger (United), Özil (Arsenal) for Germany.

Pelle (Southhampton), Darmian (United) for Italy. 

10 minutes ago, Notone said:

Gomez (the only real forward in their squad) is out for the rest of the tournament, Khedira very likely out for the semi-final, and it's doubtful whether he could play in a final, Schweinsteiger also possibly out for the semi-final with some strained ligaments in his knee, and Hummels is suspended for the semi-final.

Losses of this order would be devastating to most teams, but Germany has a reasonably deep bench, including a few people who played in the last World Cup. Also, sometimes it is better to let the young guys play. They're untested, but that also means that they have more to prove. I'm sure Löw will figure something out.

For the Iceland-France game, the Icelandic fans have apparently been reinforced by the arrival of their president. Unlike most dignitaries, he said that he'll be in stands rather than in a VIP box. 

21 minutes ago, Notone said:

Costly victory for Germany.

Funny side note, every EPL player on the pitch yesterday has missed their penalty.

Schweinsteiger (United), Özil (Arsenal) for Germany.

Pelle (Southhampton), Darmian (United) for Italy. 

Hopefully Emre Can gets a shot with those two midfield injuries. His play kind of reminds me of Khedira anyway. 

At the moment they hope to get either Khedira (very unlikely) or Schweinsteiger (a bit more likely) back in time for the next match. Yes, Can would look like the most natural fit to play Khedira/Schweinsteiger role. But I would not rule out, that they move Can to the right back and play Kimmich in the Khedira/Schweinsteiger role. Which would still be a bit weird, since Can has never convinced in that role, and Kimmich has managed to play that part rather well. 

I am curious who will fill in for Gomez upfront. Probably 0 goal Müller, with Draxler making his way into the starting XI. 

Archived