shmewdog

What's the basis for Cersei's claim to the Iron Throne?

275 posts in this topic

I think that, once again, the showrunners would have done themselves a favor had they skipped Dorne in S5 and just have Doran team up with Dany and the Tyrells at the end of S6.

Then Myrcella would be still alive and queen after Tommens death, but since she is a ward/hostage of the Martells, Cersei sitting the Thorne as regent in her place would make sense.

Also it would create a lot of interesting conflict within the Dany alliance. Olenna would certainly want Myrcella dead asap, while Tyrion would never have her harmed. Doran would object morally but might consider it as a necessary political move. What would Dany choose ? Maybe compromise and exile her to Essos (oh, the irony) ?

Damn Sand Snakes, ruining everything.

Edited by Rhollo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cersei's claim isnt the problem, more so her ability to hold it

 

 

The Stormlands, Riverlands, Vale, Iron Islands, The North, Dorne, and Reach are in open rebellion. That only leaves the Westerlands and Crownlands in support of her. 

And even the Crownlands are iffy.  Without using any book knowledge, we never hear of any of the noble Crownland houses supporting the crown under Joffery or Tommen.

While the Lannisters are called the most powerful house, The show does give hints that the Reach has more citizens(larger army).

It makes plenty of sense for her to take the thrown, but there is no way she can keep it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know there is a 7th and 8th season. Some people will oppose Cersei next season, I'm sure of. And probably the people in Kingslanding will choose Dany or someone else who has a (minor) claim, but it may take some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is article that explain that a Corwen Baratheon is the great, great, great, great Grandfather of Robert Barathron that one of his daughter marry a Lannister (That about 200 years ago) I have look every where for this family connected and I can't find it.  here the article mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-hier/#9MfxEq3MGZqi       

www.reddit.com/r/asoiaF/comments/4hmto1/spoilers-everything_who_is_the _rightful_king/

https://winter is coming.net/2016/05/13/game-of-thrones-theory crafting-who-becomes-king-if-tommen-dies/

Edited by Sophia [email protected]
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

There is article that explain that a Corwen Baratheon is the great, great, great, great Grandfather of Robert Barathron that one of his daughter marry a Lannister (That about 200 years ago) I have look every where for this family connected and I can't find it.  here the article mashable.com/2016/05/03/game-thrones-hier/#9MfxEq3MGZqi       

www.reddit.com/r/asoiaF/comments/4hmto1/spoilers-everything_who_is_the _rightful_king/

https://winter is coming.net/2016/05/13/game-of-thrones-theory crafting-who-becomes-king-if-tommen-dies/

Yeah, I saw online that Elyanna Baratheon married Mathis Lannister about a century before Robert's birth so she does have Baratheon blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stannis and Renly are dead, with no heirs (Shireen is also dead). Since Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella were legally Baratheons. So the Throne was up for grabs, and Cersei was the person closest to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Stannis and Renly are dead, with no heirs (Shireen is also dead). Since Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella were legally Baratheons. So the Throne was up for grabs, and Cersei was the person closest to it.

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, that Cersei could claim the throne is convenient for the writers (usually read: the wrong choice), but in a way, I suppose it works that she's gotten away with it so far. As many others have said, she's surrounded by people who are (at least for now) supporting her position. And as for the people rising up in revolt... it actually makes sense that they haven't. This isn't, say, America, where regular people are raised to believe they have a role to play in the shaping of the country. This is a world with a solid class system. The only time the common people would revolt is when they are suffering, blame the monarchy, and are made to feel like they have no other recourse. As Jorah said, "The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."

In the eyes of the people, committing mass murder and blowing up the Sept of Baelor would be an unforgivable crime... if anybody suspected. Of course, everybody who knows Cersei knows that she was responsible, but the common people don't know Cersei, and the official story is that it was a tragic accident. They may be completely ignorant of her role. And that's about the only reason the common people would have for revolt, at least until winter starts in earnest and they realize they have no food.

[Edit] Never mind. I was half-asleep when I wrote that last part. I'd completely forgotten that it was common knowledge that, when the Sept blew up, Cersei was supposed to have been there, because it was the day of her trial. If she wasn't responsible, she'd be dead along with the rest of them. So... yeah, why aren't the people in revolt?

Edited by Katerine459

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:32 AM, SeanF said:

I don't think Cersei has any Baratheon ancestors.  Her father married a Lannister, her grandfather married a Marbrand,  her great-grandfather married a Webber, and her great-great grandfather married a Brax.  Those are all nobility from the Westerlands or Reach, and not royalty, or the families of Lords Paramount.

This is more like the way that in Rome, Byzantium, or Russia, people who were in some way connected to the royal family might make a bid for the Throne, when the outgoing ruler died.

There is article that states that the Lannisters have ancestor a Corwen Baratheon. That 200 years ago  one his children marry a Lannister.  http://www this is inside.com/who-has-the-rightful-claim-to the-iron-throne-after-the-game-of-thrones-finale-2016-6

Edited by Sophia [email protected]
mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katerine459 said:

To me, that Cersei could claim the throne is convenient for the writers (usually read: the wrong choice), but in a way, I suppose it works that she's gotten away with it so far. As many others have said, she's surrounded by people who are (at least for now) supporting her position. And as for the people rising up in revolt... it actually makes sense that they haven't. This isn't, say, America, where regular people are raised to believe they have a role to play in the shaping of the country. This is a world with a solid class system. The only time the common people would revolt is when they are suffering, blame the monarchy, and are made to feel like they have no other recourse. As Jorah said, "The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."

In the eyes of the people, committing mass murder and blowing up the Sept of Baelor would be an unforgivable crime... if anybody suspected. Of course, everybody who knows Cersei knows that she was responsible, but the common people don't know Cersei, and the official story is that it was a tragic accident. They may be completely ignorant of her role. And that's about the only reason the common people would have for revolt, at least until winter starts in earnest and they realize they have no food.

[Edit] Never mind. I was half-asleep when I wrote that last part. I'd completely forgotten that it was common knowledge that, when the Sept blew up, Cersei was supposed to have been there, because it was the day of her trial. If she wasn't responsible, she'd be dead along with the rest of them. So... yeah, why aren't the people in revolt?

Plus, Cersei’s a kinslayer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, her claim is that she sat on the throne and no one as of yet has kicked her off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She has just blown-up the last ones contesting her. No one else is strong enough to contest her. No one seems likely to make the living better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2017 at 8:32 AM, The Sunland Lord said:

Stannis and Renly are dead, with no heirs (Shireen is also dead). Since Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella were legally Baratheons. So the Throne was up for grabs, and Cersei was the person closest to it.

 

On 12/1/2017 at 9:10 AM, Angel Eyes said:

This. 

Yeah this.

In the normal run of things a council would be convened to name a suitable male heir.  Obviously anyone likely to be named to such a council is dead, as are any likely male heirs. Even if it were proven that Gentry is Robert's son, he's a bastard.  

If anyone were to actually contest the succession, they better have an army to back up their objection.  Cersei has the lannister army so, good luck with that.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

If anyone were to actually contest the succession, they better have an army to back up their objection.  Cersei has the lannister army so, good luck with that.

Exactly. Euron captured the dornish dissidents and Jaime took care of the Tyrells. And Jiame said to Olenna that the small folk wouldn't care so long as there is peace and prosperity in the seven kingdoms. Unless someone with a stronger army challenges Cersei, her claim stands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now