Do you think Robert would have killed Jon?

DominusNovus

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

It's a hard call when you're trying to place Roberts love for Ned vs his hate of the Targs.

Tywin who "loves" Robert said it himself... he could not do it...

Lyanna knew his love for Ned, his hate for Targs not so much, he killed one in righteous battle... and the dragonsapwn comment stayed in KL

Even his hate for Targs is magnified by his great ability to talk with his heart close to his mouth... he's 1/4 Targ himself

With Dany he was the King... it was her vs thousands of children killed by savages... would any of us risk so many lives in his position? protector of the realm, and then burying thousands of women and children killed my dothrakis or dragon fire... tough, very tough call for a king, not so much for the rest

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

He sent Stannis to arrest them not to kill them. Its only natural that the new King would need to have his enemies under control.

Sure thing man, sure thing.

I love Robert, but the guy hated the Targs with a passion. Even his best bud Ned knew this. I wouldn't trust the man when it came to saving ones life, especially when this kid caused the death of the woman he loved. Also Robert drinks a lot and we all know people do stupid stuff while drunk. So I say Ned made the right call.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

Sure thing man, sure thing.

I love Robert, but the guy hated the Targs with a passion. Even his best bud Ned knew this. I wouldn't trust the man when it came to saving ones life, especially when this kid caused the death of the woman he loved. Also Robert drinks a lot and we all know people do stupid stuff while drunk. So I say Ned made the right call.

This is what we know from the books. As @Laughing Storm Reborn said that even Tywin has already told that Robert wouldn't had hurt 

Yet he saw himself as a hero, and heroes do not kill children

So everything that we have been told from people who knew Robert is about how he isn't a cruel man. 

This is what we know from the books. As @Laughing Storm Reborn said that even Tywin has already told that Robert wouldn't had hurt 

So everything that we have been told from people who knew Robert is about how he isn't a cruel man. 

So what are the odds of Tywin or someone else who wanted to get in good favor with Robert trying to kill Jon. I mean it worked with Tywin and Jamie, so why now.

Just now, sifth said:

So what are the odds of Tywin or someone else who wanted to get in good favor with Robert trying to kill Jon. I mean it worked with Tywin and Jamie, so why now.

I have already told that someone else could had killed Jon because they would thought that this is what Robert would want. I am saying that Robert wouldn't had done it and he wouldn't had ordered it.

I have already told that someone else could had killed Jon because they would thought that this is what Robert would want. I am saying that Robert wouldn't had done it and he wouldn't had ordered it.

Makes sense I suppose, either way the kid would be doomed though.

Let me say this... i don´t care who jon´s parents are, the boy is a good person (a true Ned "boy")...

I could not, for the life of me, be a fan (i cannot hate fictional characters mind you) of characters long dead before the books but that´s fine, they can be angels for all i care...

"I failed you, Robert, Ned thought. He could not say the words. I lied to you, hid the truth. I let them kill you."

Last time Ned thinks of Robert... REGRET , REGRET,  REGRET ... because in Bob's deathbed Ned truly knew his childhood friend was there all along, just needed someone to catch him, before the stranger did

22 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I have a question. Does any one has to punish someone for what he has done before he came into power?

Maybe not but that doesn't mean you can't. Aegon V had Blood Raven arrested and exiled after he tricked a Blackfyre claimant into entering KL for the 'election' and then killing him so that Egg could take the Throne.

53 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I have a question. Does any one has to punish someone for what he has done before he came into power?

That argument might have merit if Robert hadn't been declared King at the Trident, before the murders of Elia and her children, and if those bodies hadn't been presented to him as King in the throne room with his arse sitting on the Iron Throne.

I actually agree that Robert is not a cruel man although he is still capable of cruelty, as his treatment of Cersei in bed shows. However, he is unstoppable when the wrath is on him - ours is the fury and all that. It was Robert's rage that Ned feared.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

If Robert had to punish Tywin for something  he did before he became the King should Robb had punished Hoster for something he did before he became the King?

Tywin murdered the Targ babies AFTER Robert declared himself king. 

Robert hated the Targaryens and hated Rhaegar most of all.

Yet, he also loved Ned as a brother and Jon is Lyanna's son (also Rhaegar's too).

Tywin comments that Robert would not kill children while Robert himself ordered Dany's death (though relented on his deathbed). Is there anything to say that Robert's love for Lyanna and Ned would outweigh his hatred of Rhaegar and the Targaryens?

I'm leaning towards the idea of Robert killing Jon, at least enough to agree that Ned made the right call in keeping Robert in the dark.

Robert would have had him killed.

Without question.

He was struck with grief.  He just lost the woman he loved, the woman stolen from him, that was kept hostage and raped repeatedly (so he believes).  Her captor was a Targaryen.  She died birthing the child of these atrocities.   He would then blame the child for her death, and he would seek vengence.

I doubt he would kill the child himself, but he would definitely make the order.  

Think about the fact that Ned kept this lie a secret all those years.  Tarnishing his name, his lady wife's name, his honor, and the quality of life that Jon would have.  All because he and Lyanna believed that Robert would kill Jon.

Let's not forget about him beating his hands bloody when he found out his first son with Cersei died.  This illustrates his inability to act in a calm way when he is emotional.  He looses it, and hurts himself.  I don't believe he would be able to control his rage, not even with Ned. He even says about himself "back then all I wanted was to Crack skulls and f*** girls", illustrating his volitility.  Violence was his answer for settling everything.

Lyanna's death hurt him so deeply he dreams about killing Rhaegar every night for the next 15 years, and it still isn't enough.  He is still as full of rage as when it happened.  

It isn't until his deathbed that he has a moment of remorse and calls off the order to kill Dany.

I don't think he would have killed Jon because of the threat he posed to his kingship, he would have killed him because Jon killed Lyanna.  She is what the war was over, not the iron throne.

Even if he came to regret the order to kill Jon, his massive level of pride would have prevented his withdrawing the order. 

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Tywin murdered the Targ babies AFTER Robert declared himself king. 

Tywin murdered the Targ babies after Ned and Jon made Robert their king, don't forget there are three idiots in that story, not only the one you dislike.

As for Jon, I don't think we can take Tywin's word as a proof that Robert would have never killed Jon, unlike his two half-siblings, Jon was the very proof of Lyanna's love for Rhaegar, the proof that she never loved him. I can't say he would have killed him but I definitely think he would have secretly been satisfied by his death.

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

No. Robert would had never killed Jon, Tywin on the other hand he would had done it in a heartbeat and even the Tyrells or maybe the Martells but definitely not Robert.

They would kill them in front of Robert while he turned around and left the room to get a drink.

Probably not when sober, but it could definitely happen when he gets really drunk.

3 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Ned shook his head, refusing to believe. "Robert would never harm me or any of mine. We were closer than brothers. He loves me. If I refuse him, he will roar and curse and bluster, and in a week we will laugh about it together. I know the man!"

Catelyn II AGOT

Robert had Lady killed and arranged a marriage between Sansa and Joff even though he was aware that Joff was really messed up.

Well, if Ned who knew Robert best couldn't tell about Jon it's because he knew what Robert would do.

I mean really, the guy was ok with Tywin butchering the Targaryen babes, you think he would be fine with having the the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna walking around? I mean, in his pea brain he would think that not only Rhaegar raped Lyanna but she was forced to have his demon child, so the kid have to be put down as some sort of justice to his beloved. lol

Archived