A moment for Margaery

Sigrid

Poor Margaery.  She was still the smartest person in the room, but unfortunately the room got blown up.

I'm really going to miss this character on the show.  I thought Natalie Dormer brought a lot to her.  I get it from an adaptive perspective as I think her purpose was to be Cersei's foil and there are now other people on the way to do that, but she'll definitely be missed.

I believe it was a the AV Club Experts review that described Margaery as being a great game player who was getting her pieces all arranged and Cersei was more the type to go crazy and just flip over the board.   Pretty apt I'd say.

She, like her House, would have likely been the person (House) to lead Westeros. She and her House just chose the wrong route to combat the Faith Militant. This was a fight of the heart of the masses. Her House has a history of charity and consideration to the "small people" which they didn't use at all to "shame" the Faith's cherry picking. Point out the Faith's targeting of them is a selfish power grab to usurp the power of the Monarchy. Point out the reality of zero sum game the Faith plays and where it leads in the long run.

As beloved as she was she should have had her Lady Godiva moment to shame the Faith while others whisper ill about the Faith. Have loyal small people bait the Faith into engaging into unjustified violence to further expose them. Later arm a counter movement of "small people" and conspire w/leaders of other Faiths to take out the leaders and their indoctrination facilities.

I don't think she chose the wrong way to fight the faith militant. She was a prisoner with few options. Even after her release she was being constantly shadowed by the septa-who-got-what-was-coming-to-her. She had to be very careful in handling the faith if she herself was yet to get out of it all in one piece, let alone Loras. She was smart enough to know her position was too weak to take on the faith and Cersei simultaneously. Cersei could never survive the trial, so she was content to let one enemy destroy another. She just bet on the wrong party coming out on top. She realised her mistake, but by the time she tried to leave it was too late anyway. She couldn't have gotten far enough away to survive.

I seen the blast twice.  

Think she's done. 

The thing is, the actress Natalie who played her was great, and we were not ready to say goodbye to this character.  

Margaery it seams wasn't as important to the future plans of the series.  They definitely got shock value out of that, because let's be honest who else in that Sept do we even really care about? 

27 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

Are we really sure that she's dead? Even in real life there were suvivors in the WTC after it collapsed on 9/11. The High Sparrow exploded, no discussion on that, but Margery and Loras? Don't know.

IT was confirmed by production they were all dead - Lancel, High Sparrow, Loras, Margaery, Mace, Kevan. There is no way anyone could have survived that blast.

It was such moment of emptiness for me. Like, WTH have I just seen? I needed a minute just to understand the consequences of that blast. Margaery was one of those characters that worked nicely on the show. Originally, Dormer was copycatting her own work from "The Tudors" as there were several lines of Anne Boleyn and Margaery that were the same. But, as it progressed, Margaery became a character of its own. And it was a version of the character that you could have preferred over the book counterpart. There were some moments where the plot demanded of her to be as stupid as possible, plus the logic of her arrest was shady at least, but nonetheless, she shall be missed. Dormer was a nice addition to the cast.

44 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

Are we really sure that she's dead? Even in real life there were suvivors in the WTC after it collapsed on 9/11. The High Sparrow exploded, no discussion on that, but Margery and Loras? Don't know.

She was standing pretty much next to the High Sparrow and he got Dr. Manhattan'd. Only way Marg could've survived is if she was a secret Targaryen and next season will start with her walking naked out of the smoking rubble with three roses growing from her body like some sort of Poison Ivy wannabe. 

8 hours ago, Vastet said:

I don't think she chose the wrong way to fight the faith militant. She was a prisoner with few options. Even after her release she was being constantly shadowed by the septa-who-got-what-was-coming-to-her. She had to be very careful in handling the faith if she herself was yet to get out of it all in one piece, let alone Loras. She was smart enough to know her position was too weak to take on the faith and Cersei simultaneously. Cersei could never survive the trial, so she was content to let one enemy destroy another. She just bet on the wrong party coming out on top. She realised her mistake, but by the time she tried to leave it was too late anyway. She couldn't have gotten far enough away to survive.

She failed to identify the source of power of the Faith and attack it.  If she had she would have accepted the "walk of shame", but made it into a Lady Godiva moment to shame the Faith (assuming they even let the Faith get that far, she took the wrong approach to Tommy as well).  She was She was beloved by the masses and even managed to rehabilitate Joff's image with them for a short while, she'd have been equally able to turn the Faith's image.  The queen of Thorns should have seen this as well and rejected the armed invasion of Westeros by the Tyrell's (invasion of armed pseudo commoners on the other hand to turn their backs et al would have been more successful).  Again, this was completely misplayed by the Tyrell's.  All they did was concede their sway with the masses to an unknown holier than thow no one.    

I will miss her too.

Yes, Cersei won in the end, but to be honest, I don't think you can blame Margaery for not knowing, that there was so much wildfire under the city and that Cersei would use it blow up one of the most important places of the city.

She was my favorite.  But in terms of the show there's no more need for her.  The actress even explained it that way.

Nevertheless, the way matters are left, if there was to be a Westros left to rule after the WW are finished ravaging it, it seems to me of all of them Margaery would have made the best ruler, and / or the best queen to someone's king.

I'm not so sure if we can say that Cersei won.

Margaery was cunning, and her influence was so big that with her death, she had one of the last dearest things for Cersei taken from her, which is Tommen,
And we still have the Queen of Thorns thanks to her. I would have really hated to see her blown up too.

I should point out that as much as I've pointed out flaws in the tactics and strategies of Margaery and the Tyrells, they were one of my favorite Houses and Margaery and the QoT were among my favorite characters.  Not just b/c they've seemed the most descent of all the people/Houses on the show, but they did play most games very well FM not withstanding.

On 6/28/2016 at 9:23 PM, Sigrid said:

Poor Margaery.  She was still the smartest person in the room, but unfortunately the room got blown up.

I'm really going to miss this character on the show.  I thought Natalie Dormer brought a lot to her.  I get it from an adaptive perspective as I think her purpose was to be Cersei's foil and there are now other people on the way to do that, but she'll definitely be missed.

I believe it was a the AV Club Experts review that described Margaery as being a great game player who was getting her pieces all arranged and Cersei was more the type to go crazy and just flip over the board.   Pretty apt I'd say.

Good stuff there.

I always thought the High Sparrow was off the charts foolish to think he could humiliate Cersei the way he did and everything would continue to be just dandy.

In fact, I believe it was a miracle for the High Sparrow that Jaime did not kill him on sight at Myrcella's wake.

Archived