Will Tyrion and Sansa maintain their marriage?

cleffa

Now that Tyrion is coming back to Westeros, I wonder will Tyrion and Sansa maintain their marriage or will they abandon the marriage and make it invalid because they simply don't love each other?

We know that Sansa didn't like Tyrion at all I remember one part she talked about how the Lannisters were tormenting her and that "they (the Lannisters) married me to the Imp".

For Tyrion he always viewed Sansa as a child and is pretty much the only Lannister that felt sorry for her about how his family had been playing and torturing her and he tried to protect her in many occasions while she was in Kingslanding (which is one of the reason why Tyrion is one of my favourite characters still). But I think it's more of a sympathy on the horrible things that his family had done to the Starks family than love for Sansa.

But now the situation is different, Sansa is back in Winterfell and is overall a stronger character now (just look at the scene between her and LF she has the guts to say no now) and Tyrion is sided with Daenerys isntead of the Lannisters (Cersei). Upholding their marriage will perhaps make good alliance between the North and Daenerys's forces and will also drive creepy LF away at least thinking he could be the warden of the North? Sansa + Sweet Robin will also be impossible if this is the case which will further give LF troubles to his plans in marrying Sansa to sweet robin and then perhaps kill Robin and then marry Sansa for himself and make himself lord of the Vale?

Thoughts?

I doubt it, but that is going to be an awkward scene when Sansa and Tyrion meet up.  I certainly hope they do a good job writing that conversation where Tyrion and Dany find out about the Starks.  Why yes, I was married to Sansa Stark.  

15 hours ago, cleffa said:

Now that Tyrion is coming back to Westeros, I wonder will Tyrion and Sansa maintain their marriage or will they abandon the marriage and make it invalid because they simply don't love each other?

We know that Sansa didn't like Tyrion at all I remember one part she talked about how the Lannisters were tormenting her and that "they (the Lannisters) married me to the Imp".

In the show, the relationship between Tyrion and Sansa was much friendlier than in the books. In show, Tyrion warned Sansa beforehand and Sansa kneeled for him. Their talks were much warmer, too.

Tyrion's advice about a political marriage for Dany seems to point at Jon Snow, given that she already has Dorne and the Reach without any apparent males to marry. Other candidates are limited (Sweetrobin being the main one - not very likely). It was also made clear in the agreement with Asha/Yara that the 7Kingdoms must remain united, as far as Dany is concerned.

So, a Jon/Dany marriage would make much sense to pull the north in again. And since Tyrion and Sansa are already married, with both potentially being heirs of their respective sides (as long as Jon nor Dany have children), a second marriage between north and south could be seen as a good idea.

I noticed that Lyanna Mormont reminded the audience that Sansa is married to Tyrion, too, not only Ramsay (at the time).

Their next meeting should be pretty awkward. I would think that he would be kind of angry that he stood trial for Joffrey's murder while she left to parts unknown. I don't think there is any way, even on the show, that she would willingly go back to Tyrion. 

Yes, definitely. They will reunite and stay married for political reasons, but they will not have kids of their own. They will parents to three kids: little Ned Stark, "prince that was promised" (son of deceased Jon and Dany), and twin brother and sister (kids of Jaime and Brienne). Tyrion will be endgame Chancellor/Prime Minister/Hand of the new realm, while Sansa will be ruling as Queen Regent in the name of little Ned.

11 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

Their next meeting should be pretty awkward. I would think that he would be kind of angry that he stood trial for Joffrey's murder while she left to parts unknown. I don't think there is any way, even on the show, that she would willingly go back to Tyrion. 

"Willingly" is a strong word. It would be a political marriage, not at swordpoint like originally but still involving negotations and political pressure. If Dany is really serious about keeping the kingdoms together, tying the north strongly to the south could be appealing. If Tyrion turns out to be a Targaryen, there is extra motivation to keep the bloodline going (and Stark-Targaryen marriages are all the rage, recently...).

There is no marriage to "maintain": "Tyrion never consumated the marriage. By the law of the land, she's no man's wife." Sansa cried when she found out she had to marry Tyrion. On an official inside the episode, Turner said, "Marrying Tyrion was the worst day of Sansa's life."

The HBO viewer's guide:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-6/episode-10/houses/15/house-bolton

The marriage doens't exist in the show anymore. While the annullment was dealt with in a lazy manner in S5, it is nevertheless a plot point that Sansa is not considered to be Tyrion's wife anymore. And the show will not re-address it anymore, since they never actually re-address stuff, except to talk about "a man", send someone "off to ride into the sunset" or to kill it off. So, no. 

Lyanna Mormont didn't seem to be sure. Was it Sansa Bolton, or Sansa Lannister? The Bolton ceremony was done under the Old Gods and may be considered invalid by southerners (following the Seven or the Lord of Light), depending on their political interests.

AFAIK, nobody told Tyrion that Sansa had re-married (and is already widowed from that other guys). When he comes back to Westeros, expect the issue to come up, in both show and books.

Of course , in the books, Sansa is still a virgin, proof that her marriage to Tyrion was never consummated. In the show, she is not a virgin (ugh), and Ramsay and Roose are dead , so legally, the question might depend entirely on whether Tyrion would tell the truth. On the one hand, the truth would reflect poorly on him (and his virility) in the eyes of some ... but OTOH, might not be believed by others, given his reputation.

In the books, Tyrion thinks Sansa may well have killed Joffrey because of her disappearance. I don't recall if anything much was made of this in the show. Even though no-one misses Joffrey, the matter of regicide would have to be addressed (and Sansa knows the truth).

I think Book Tyrion would normally be disposed to tell the truth, unless it was politically imperative to lie, for some reason. The show has apparently decided that none of this matters.

Book Sansa realises that Tyrion was kind to her, but has to tell Lysa that Tyrion preferred whores...

Tyrion / Sansa also fits a BatB theme, so I'm not sure what will work out in the end..

In the books, the situation is a bit different as we know that non-consummation by itself is not enough to make the marriage null and void. It requires intervention by the High Septon (currently, in the books, an unpredictable loose cannon) or by "a council of faith" to sideline it, short of Tyrion getting killed.

3 minutes ago, Wouter said:

In the books, the situation is a bit different as we know that non-consummation by itself is not enough to make the marriage null and void. It requires intervention by the High Septon (currently, in the books, an unpredictable loose cannon) or by "a council of faith" to sideline it, short of Tyrion getting killed.

Of course.. but in asking for that, someone would have to have grounds. There could be many , but non-consummation would be one.

3 minutes ago, bemused said:

Of course.. but in asking for that, someone would have to have grounds. There could be many , but non-consummation would be one.

True, but decisions of the High Septon are ultimately political in nature. If he feels the Faith can win by dissolving the marriage, he will find a reason to do so. And if he feels the Faith is better served by letting it stand (maybe just because the asking party doesn't have his favour or has nothing to offer), he will find a reason to let it stand.

13 minutes ago, Wouter said:

True, but decisions of the High Septon are ultimately political in nature. If he feels the Faith can win by dissolving the marriage, he will find a reason to do so. And if he feels the Faith is better served by letting it stand (maybe just because the asking party doesn't have his favour or has nothing to offer), he will find a reason to let it stand.

Oh, I agree.. Since I expect Tyrion to survive, it will all come down to the politics of the moment.

If they meet again, I don't think they will continue their marriage. Though I do expect their next meeting to be amiable. Part of me wanted to see Tyrion's reaction to hearing she had been married off to Ramsay. I think he would've been quite concerned for her in that regard. Either way, I hope they see each other again. 

8 hours ago, bemused said:

In the show, she is not a virgin (ugh), and Ramsay and Roose are dead , so legally, the question might depend entirely on whether Tyrion would tell the truth.

There was a witness at her wedding night with Ramsay - Theon - who can attest she was a virgin prior or not (ugh!). So, no, it does not solely rely on Tyrion telling the truth.

Oh, yuck! Of course, Theon... Mind you, on the show he wasn't looking and (Thank goodness!) didn't participate.:rolleyes: I'm joking... but if Sansa actually tried to use it as grounds to escape the marriage with Tyrion, would she want Theon as a witness? Could he keep it together ? Will he even survive?

As I said, I think Tyrion would be disposed to tell the truth, unless there was a very important political reason not to..

I agree with Wouter that the main consideration would be political, and it's a "Show" question, which I really think is futile to predict.

I was typing another post on my notepad when I had a lengthy interruption. I'm off to finish it.

Archived