Can a woman wear a mens watch?

TheTygerAndTheLamb

Without it looking out of place?. I appreciate watches just as much as a lot of other jewelry but I feel like not nearly the same attention to detail or effort goes into most womens models and they on the whole seem too glitzy and a lot are too small. There's a rather gorgeous model of watch I'd like but its a mens one and it's quite big at 42 mm and I don't have the biggest wrists, I just wanted to gauge the opinions of others to see if it would be completely ridiculous as it's not exactly cheap and I don't want to make a mistake.

1. Try the fashion thread

2. 42mm sounds pretty big for a woman's wrist unless you also use other outsized accessories: bag/purse, sunglasses, jewelry, whatever.

3. Men's watches also come in 38mm and even 34 smaller.  You have other options without going clown shoes on it. 

4. For a pricey watch, best strategy is to buy one you really like, wear it with confidence and don't keep worrying about whether others like it. 

I do wear big sunglasses but overall I'm not that big with the whole outsized accessorising. I want something tasteful and beautifully made but durable and,without meaning to sound snobby isn't likely to be seen being worn by a reality TV star, and the one I really like only comes in 42mm.

http://www.deployant.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/5500V-110A-B148_RV.jpg

12 minutes ago, Arkhangel said:

No, because as we all know lady-wrists are like the delicate stems of roses, far too weak to bear the literal and metaphorical weight of a man's watch.

Exactly.

But seriously, it's a watch. It has styling but it has NO gender. So if it feels comfortable and you like the way it looks, buy it. The Apple watch, for example, comes in 42mm and 38mm but it's not broken down by men or women. Just size.

I myself do not have delicate stems for wrists and have in the past purchased a traditionally male watch because most women's bands aren't wide enough/long enough for me.

For sure.  Go for it.  Personally, I probably wouldn't notice a large watch.  But I can't recall ever seeing a woman in extra large sunglasses and thinking 'great choice', so possibly our tastes aren't entirely congruent.

I have tiny tiny wrists but I only wear large "men's" watches.  They work for me the way large sunglasses, big rings, and large bracelets work.  Someday I'll inherit my Grandfather's Rolex watch currently being used by my Father and I will absolutely be wearing that when its my turn.  So go for it if you like the watch and its comfortable.

I have fairly lean/small wrists for a man and I think most men's watches look ugly, clumsy and too large. (completely agree with Starkess here)

But if you find a 30 or 35 mm that looks good, why not? My sister (about 30 years old, but this might have been a few years ago) used to wear an (in my eyes insufferably ugly) 80s style digital watch (that no woman would have worn in the 1980s, I think) for a while. Apparently some retro-chic...

Try a smart watch maybe? 

Those tend to be same size on the face for either gender because the screen needs to be a certain size.

They're starting to make really good looking stylish smart watches.

Stylish enough for Beyonce anyway.https://www.google.com/search?q=beyonce+smart+watch&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM073Q78_NAhXH24MKHTxZD2MQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=wwuzNhgAciQbGM%3A

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

the question isn't the size but which wrist do you wear it on.  if you wear it on the right hand you are clearly a witch. 

Oh, you caught me. Burn me at the stake or drown me then, but do it swiftly!

I've seen plenty of women wear watches with a large enough watch face that it looks "man sized" and aside from being socially conditioned to expect to see a smaller watch, there's nothing wrong with it. 

Personally I always thought it was strange that women had to try to read the time from such a minuscule timepiece, that a watch revolution is past due. 

Then again, I haven't warn a watch since I got a mobile phone with a clock. So I think watches are redundant and if I wanted to wear something on my wrist it wouldn't be a watch.

Archived