Loyal houses

Golden Royce

I know this topic is mostly an opinion but which house is the most loyal? I know the Royce's ,manderlys,cleganes, and umbers all come to mind but what about Cassel? Who lived and died for Stark's out of love with little reward in return. Same goes for panye. They served lannisters selflessly. Does anyone know of other minor houses who serve only for their LP for the other houses? House that serve the LP out of love and respect instead of rewards?

57 minutes ago, the wolf that never was said:

umbers

The Greatjon was about to abandon the Starks because Robb wasn't going to give him the position he wanted. This immediately should disqualify the Umbers. Admittedly he was very loyal after.

2 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

The Greatjon was about to abandon the Starks because Robb wasn't going to give him the position he wanted. This immediately should disqualify the Umbers. Admittedly he was very loyal after.

One may argue he was testing Robb. 

When he threatened to leave Robb could have done two things:

1) what he did which puts him as strong and brave leader

2) actually name Greatjon leader of van which shows everyone he is not strong leader but he would have stayed in army anyway, situation where Tobb has balls to say him to leave but Galbart will keep the van is just not an option.

4 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

Yea I hear you but that has more to do with fierceness than loyalty 

Umbers will never be and never have been a traitorous house (no matter what a certain show might make one believe)

The greatjon just has a lot of pride and is quite boisterous and fierce like most northeners. He may simply have been testing Robb

Even after the red wedding Hothor and the remaining umbers only swear allegiance  to the boltons because the Freys have greatjon captive(though I'm eagerly waiting for when a giant might break through his chains) and they think "Arya" is married to ramsay

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Actually he was testing him.

Sure he was.

How come the Umbers didn't bother to show up when Winterfell was captured? The Karstarks, who live further away did.

Or how about how the Greatjon is quick to beat Rickard Karstark rather than defend an actual ally? Or how about his advice to Robb in the Westerlands to attack the Freys, who he had fought side by side with, after Robb has betrayed them?

I really don't think there is such a thing as a loyal House, you may get more or less loyal rulers/members of a House that dictate their present day relationship with their liege but primarily every House and its members are always going to put their own interests first.

1 minute ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Sure he was.

How come the Umbers didn't bother to show up when Winterfell was captured? The Karstarks, who live further away did.

Or how about how the Greatjon is quick to beat Rickard Karstark rather than defend an actual ally? Or how about his advice to Robb in the Westerlands to attack the Freys, who he had fought side by side with, after Robb has betrayed them?

I really don't think there is such a thing as a loyal House, you may get more or less loyal rulers/members of a House that dictate their present day relationship with their liege but primarily every House and its members are always going to put their own interests first.

The Umbers live further away than the Karstark. 

45 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

From Winterfell? Nope, the Last Hearth is closer than Karhold.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/c/cd/The_North2.jpg

which instance are you talking about is it when theon and ironborn capture winterfell because if that is what you're talking about then i think i remember that there was para where hothor whoresbane umber talks about how half their harvest might be lost, according to the wiki

"Hother reports that the Greatjon took so many of the Umber men south with Robb, that they lost half of their harvest because they have too few men to swing the scythes. " 

i don't know if i'm right but perhaps because umbers are the northernmost house and thus have to face the harshest winter (and more erratic because they're not close to the coast like the karstarks) they had to keep more men for harvest and couldn't afford to give even a few to retake winterfell till they could salvage some of their harvest also its possible karstarks just have more men in reserve than umbers or that they sent less south than the umbers plus even after that just before winter in  winterfell its revealed apart from 300 men(fit but not soldiers) all thats left are old men and green boys

Aside from a fair few Northern houses I could name (Manderly, Mormont, Umber, Reed) I would say Blackwood and Tarly. The Blackwood's are the last house that holds out for the Starks in the Riverlands.

Randyll Tarly deserves a medal for how loyal he is despite all the slight's he's been dealt by Mace.

There are some Houses that actually serve other Houses households. The Cassel for example. The Poole too. We don't know if they have their own castles, but I assume they don't. 

Vassal Houses with their own seats can be more or less loyal, but it depends on the human beings at charge for me.

Archived