I am so stupid that......

Feologild

Probably just phonetically more appealing, but it could have significance. Though, I've known people to call the series A Song of Fire and Ice. But there are also people who call the book series, A Game of Thrones, so there you go...

59 minutes ago, Raven_Osiris said:

Further to this, do we think that Ice being before Fire is relevant? Is it just phonetically more attractive or is there a different reason?

There's a poem by Robert Frost called fire and ice, that uses the debate over the heat death of the universe / the cold death of the universe to discuss how destructive human hatred and desire can be. 

GRRM likely chose it for the title because this is a story about a war between icy and firy magical forces, being used as a backdrop to many human hearts at conflict with themselves. 

31 minutes ago, MinotaurWarrior said:

There's a poem by Robert Frost called fire and ice, that uses the debate over the heat death of the universe / the cold death of the universe to discuss how destructive human hatred and desire can be. 

GRRM likely chose it for the title because this is a story about a war between icy and firy magical forces, being used as a backdrop to many human hearts at conflict with themselves. 

This and the bit from dante's inferno "into fire and into ice" but I like that quote, so maybe I'm biased, it is my location after all... Actually I think that's where frost got it, given that the whole two roads in a yellow wood is a straight reference to the start of Dante... I also always thought the star references in the series were very reminiscent of Dante... Anyway for fun:

Some say the world will end in fire, 
Some say in ice. 
From what I’ve tasted of desire 
I hold with those who favor fire. 
But if it had to perish twice, 
I think I know enough of hate 
To say that for destruction ice 
Is also great 
And would suffice.
-Frost

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice.
-Dante
(Fire and ice being the punishments in hell for various crimes)

In my country the series are called (Crônicas de Gelo e Fogo) that would be something like "Ice and FIre Chronicles". Wich i think is very dumb, as the song of ice and fire seems to be something very important to the story.I think they just wanted to make it sound like the Chronicles of Narnia and put aside the importance of THE song.

Archived