Cersei, Light of the West

Thia Stark

So, I was re-reading A Game of Thrones when this caught my eye: when Joffrey holds his first court as king, Cersei is, among her other titles, introduced as 'Light of the West'. I think this title appears only that one time throughout the series, but nevertheless I find it really interesting. Do you think it's just a title she styled for herself or it's the common title of the queen/queen regent (in a sense that Elia Martell, had she become queen, would have been Light of the South etc.)?

• 3 weeks later...

She's actually on the east coast, isn't she? Unless some people from Essos are present, the title doesn't make much sense - just suggests she's only a light back home at Casterly Rock.

I think the true, meta meaning is that Cersei is the sunset queen, the last monarch before the Long Night.

On 7/18/2016 at 0:27 PM, Springwatch said:

She's actually on the east coast, isn't she? Unless some people from Essos are present, the title doesn't make much sense - just suggests she's only a light back home at Casterly Rock.

I think the true, meta meaning is that Cersei is the sunset queen, the last monarch before the Long Night.

Casterly Rock and the other Lannister lands are in the West. The West part is OK, but Cersei isn't the brightest character in the books.

Women in the books are usually linked to the moon, I think - but Cersei gets the sun. I wonder if it says something about her?

This is Kevan comparing Lyanna and the young Cersei:

"... however bright a torch might burn it could never match the rising sun."

Poor Cersei, seems her arc is nearly over.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, Springwatch said:

Tolkien uses the same title for the same reason in LoTR to describe Arwyn. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived