Will Tommen Die In This Book?

[Deleted]

I think that he has to die in the next book but inclined to think that his death will be very tied in with the Valonquar prophecy playing out and that it would be towards the end.  Okay, just going on a hunch here as opposed to any factual evidence but I think that somehow, although it will be different to the show, Cersei's actions are going to, directly or indirectly, precipitate the whole set of events.

Something that caught my attention long ago is that she nearly killed Tommen herself when she thought all was lost at the time of the Blackwater battle.  Now if, say, Aegon successfully takes KL and she goes for this and drinks herself too then  that's Valonquar out of the window.  However, how about (just a theory though), KL gets sacked by Aegon, she believes all is lost, tries to feed Tommen again some poison but delays doing so herself because of either some Deux ex Machina intervention or because he dies very quickly and she has time to despair before drinking herself.  Then Jaime (although still thinking that even Jaime is too obvious a candidate for this) sees what she is done and loses it and strangles her.  I mean I am sure it will not pan out exactly like that but that scene in the throne room got my thinking at the time.

As for Myrcella, I don't think the golden shrouds referred to in the prophecy can refer exclusively to a monarch's funeral.  Both kids would be given a state funeral as it were so maybe that is enough to satisfy the prophecy.  If this is the case she might die before Tommen.  Now how is another matter.  Things point at Dorne but I would like to see a surprise here especially if the Valonquar ends up being either Tyrion or Jaime which is to me too easy.  

Whatever the weather the one thing I would predict is that Cersei's own actions will be the detonator for the deck of cards coming down.

1 hour ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I think that he has to die in the next book but inclined to think that his death will be very tied in with the Valonquar prophecy playing out and that it would be towards the end.  Okay, just going on a hunch here as opposed to any factual evidence but I think that somehow, although it will be different to the show, Cersei's actions are going to, directly or indirectly, precipitate the whole set of events.

Something that caught my attention long ago is that she nearly killed Tommen herself when she thought all was lost at the time of the Blackwater battle. 

That only happened on the tv show.

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

That only happened on the tv show.

Oh, okay, sorry I do get the two mixed up.  Still maybe they put it there for a reason.  As long as he is not killed just by an invader in battle or something and it is a direct or indirect consequence of Cersei's shortsightedness I am happy though, although I like Tommen but plot wise he has to go.

Now, the Faith turning against him or the Tyrells in retaliation for what is happening to Margaery and blaming him and not just Cersei could fit very nicely also.  I just think that a potential wow moment could be lost if he were killed by general enemies as it were, like say Aegon or Dany or even the Northerners.  Hang on, tinfoil theory coming:  how about Ser Robert Strong's identity is revealed accidentally in combat or something and the mob and the Faith just go on a rampage and he ends up dead?  She gave them the power in an attempt to write off some debt so yeah...  I would be happy with that too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think poison is a too obvious option. Moreover, if anybody got close enough to Tommen actually poison his food, they would do better to try other ways of killing because after all, Tommen does have a food taster, as opposed to competent guards. Varys could replay his trick with secret passageways (even a Kingsguard is powerless against a foe he does not see), Tyene will be well positioned to unexpected attack as well (if she will attend Cersei, for instance).

However, I rather like the theory of Cersei killing one of her children, even if unintentionally, and not just because the show went that way. So far, she has unknowingly done everything she could to make sure Maggy's prophecies are fulfilled (probably killing Melara, not having children with Robert...). It would just make so much sense if she went nuts and kills Tommen to "protect" him from enemies, or if she did something stupid like enraging the mobs and Tommen's death was a byproduct.

Anyway, I believe in the (self-)fulfillment of the prophecy, so I think Tommen will die before Myrcella does, probably soon after Myrcella arrives to KL. That leaves Tyrells apt to change sides, Margaery free to wed again :D, Cersei going even crazier which is what we want to see, all the lords of the realm desperately looking for a stronger ruling force than two Lannister queens... Varys will jump for joy.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:35 PM, Net-Viper X said:

I think they will get him with some type of poison that is not immediately fatal, but rather has to build up a certain fatal amount in your liver or something. Ser Boros is a very large guy and Tommen just a boy, so Tommen could end up with enough poison in him to be fatal to his small body without Boros ever ingesting enough to effect a man of his size. End result is Tommen dies and Boros is still fine so poison in the food is not suspected.

People remark on Boros looking unhealthy throughout feast, it is possible that Boros is slowly being poisoned through another means to build up a tolerance to a certain poison.  Then when he tastes Tommens food he will be ok but Tommen will die.

5 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

People remark on Boros looking unhealthy throughout feast, it is possible that Boros is slowly being poisoned through another means to build up a tolerance to a certain poison.  Then when he tastes Tommens food he will be ok but Tommen will die.

That could very well be so. I have seen people say he is looking unhealthy because of all the extra food he is eating, but that just doesn't add up. He tastes Tommen's food, he doesn't eat his entire meals for him. Something is definitely up with Boros, and its not just eating too much.

I thinka death of a young healthy boy would be suspicious in any case, even if  the poison will leave no trace.  I think Tommen is more likely to die from an accident, f.e. falling from horse. He is interested in jousting and he has already fell from a horse during Joff's nameday tournee (could be kind of foreshadowing).

• 3 weeks later...

No idea what happened above but surely the show has already answered this question, it may happen a little differently but I can't see Tommen getting out of the next book alive, in fact I think he will die fairly early and I doubt he will be alive when either Young Griff or Dany reach Kings Landing.

In terms of show divergence from the plot, I think it is safe to assume Myrcella's can't be the same. So possibly Tommen's won't be either. Though I must say, that was some ending in the show. Didn't see that coming (pre-episode, anyway). 

With no Aegon in the show, there is going to be significant divergence on the KL storyline. And Dorne has been for a while now. Dorne and Aegon are factors in the KL storyline in the books, big ones.

Still, I think Tommen and Myrcella expire in Winds. No question. Only question is how. One thing nags at me. Has Myrcella worn a crown yet? That has to happen first, yes?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:23 PM, YouKnowNothingJonSnow said:

In terms of show divergence from the plot, I think it is safe to assume Myrcella's can't be the same. So possibly Tommen's won't be either. Though I must say, that was some ending in the show. Didn't see that coming (pre-episode, anyway). 

With no Aegon in the show, there is going to be significant divergence on the KL storyline. And Dorne has been for a while now. Dorne and Aegon are factors in the KL storyline in the books, big ones.

Still, I think Tommen and Myrcella expire in Winds. No question. Only question is how. One thing nags at me. Has Myrcella worn a crown yet? That has to happen first, yes?

Well, it has been suggested that Darkstar's blade was poisoned and that will or already has killed Myrcella, that would actually be pretty similar to the show.

I still like my idea that Doran has her killed.  He said that his party is scheduled to be attacked by some people Cersei arranged, and that would be the absolutely perfect cover for her being killed.  Even in her paranoid mind she would know she set that attack up.

On 26/9/2016 at 7:49 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I still like my idea that Doran has her killed.  He said that his party is scheduled to be attacked by some people Cersei arranged, and that would be the absolutely perfect cover for her being killed.  Even in her paranoid mind she would know she set that attack up.

The Sand Snakes are possible too. As we have seen, they move indepentely. They can arrange an attack to Myrcella despite their oath to follow Doran's commands. Cersei can't accuse them as the ambush was her plan.

In ADWD epilogue, Boros Blount seem to be poisoned by someone:

He did not look well. Of late Boros had grown notably heavier about the face and belly, and his color was not good.

Blount is Tommen's food tester. I believe someone is slowly poisoning him, increasing poison by small doses, increasing his resistance to poison. It is called Mithridate. When ready the same dose will be put in Tommen's food. Boros will taste it and detect nothing. But the dose will be fatal for Tommen.

My guess is Varys doing it. To help fAegon. The plan must have started too early for the Sand Snakes and need some agents in the Red Keep.

I have a tinfoil theory that UnGregor will somehow kill Tommen. Probably accidentally when Tommen gets in the way of something....(maybe to try and save Margaery?), just like the stableboy that he chopped up during Oberyn's fight.....Cersei's savior will also be her grief. That would definitely drive her nuttier.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:43 PM, Bazil said:

I'm pretty sure he will. GRRM has said s few people will polish the iron throne with their bottoms before the end so with only a couple books left...

Yeah, I would just remind people that there have already been three people on the throne since the beginning of the books. I think there will be only one or two more at this point.

Neither Tommen nor Myrcella make it out of TWOW. While Myrcella's death may be similar to the series, Tommen's most assuredly won't. It is important to remember Tommen is an 8 or 9 year old boy in the book. I think both children will be killed by third parties. Martell for Myrcella and Aegon and GC (which includes Varys) for Tommen. I also think Cersei will go by the end of TWOW.

On 9/23/2016 at 0:23 AM, YouKnowNothingJonSnow said:

I think Dany will take some of Aegon's role in the show and sit on the throne a little sooner.  Definitely both die in the next book IMHO.  As for Myrcella being Queen it is possible and the show would have just given this role to Cersei but the personalities are different and what would Myrcella make out of Ser Robert Strong? lol  As I said further up, I am certain the prophecy would come to pass but prophecies are hard not to take too literally.  My point was that maybe not necessarily.  Mayhaps all it means is that they will both have state funerals as prominent members of the royal family.  Say, Tyrion or Jaime wouldn't I don't think, but they are not so directly in line to the throne, but I could be wrong.  

No idea what the method will be but the one thing that I am certain of is that Cersei would have been an unwilling contributor.  To me, George is playing us with prophecy; the more you try to fight it the more it happens because the paranoia that can result from it makes it so.  Could be wrong on this too, but on the opposite note, I don't think, for instance, Dany really is infertile just simply because Mirri made her believe she is, although whatever Mirri did "medically" at the time might be another matter (but this is a bit out of topic, I know...) and that line from Varys about where power resides to me sums it up.  It's not what it is but what you believe it is that matters.

Archived