How can Jon be King when Bran is still alive?

I didn't get the impression that meeting was to elect a king.  It happened spontaneously, due to some rousing speeches and general uneasiness about the war to come with the Night's King.  The North has been fractured and decimated for years, and now the Boltons are gone, the lords can live in their keeps without fear of their families being flayed, and more importantly they're united as a force.  Jon Snow DID avenge the Red Wedding - he took back Winterfell, the seat of power in the North.

The Bran aspect is redundant.  Jon was their commander, he inspired the men to follow and fight for and with him (despite what anyone thinks of his tactics).  He was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, he fought and killed a White Walker and has the respect of the wildlings (no easy feat).  He's a leader and that meeting was all about a room full of people getting carried away by the occasion and raising him up in their time of need.

Sansa is still Lady of Winterfell.  She's the King's sister and keeps his castle, just as many daughters or sisters took on the role of the Lady of the House for a widowed father or an unmarried brother.

7 minutes ago, maudisdottir said:

Sansa is still Lady of Winterfell.  She's the King's sister and keeps his castle, just as many daughters or sisters took on the role of the Lady of the House for a widowed father or an unmarried brother.

Agree. Sansa makes a fine châtelaine for her family home and castle.

7 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Agree. Sansa makes a fine châtelaine for her family home and castle.

Spoiler

Sorry, I can't help but remember how Arya thought in the first book that Sansa sucks at managing a household - and she hoped that Joffrey had an excellent steward who will manage the household, because Sansa is unable to do so :)

It wasn’t fair. Sansa had everything. Sansa was two years older; maybe by the time Arya had been born, there had been nothing left. Often it felt that way. Sansa could sew and dance and sing. She wrote poetry. She knew how to dress. She played the high harp and the bells. Worse, she was beautiful. Sansa had gotten their mother’s fine high cheekbones and the thick auburn hair of the Tullys. Arya took after their lord father. Her hair was a lusterless brown, and her face was long and solemn. Jeyne used to call her Arya Horseface, and neigh whenever she came near. It hurt that the one thing Arya could do better than her sister was ride a horse. Well, that and manage a household. Sansa had never had much of a head for figures. If she did marry Prince Joff, Arya hoped for his sake that he had a good steward. 

16 hours ago, dancinglion said:

the north and all his lord dont see sansa as stark. they see her as a bolton..according to lord of north sansa is not even the lady of winter fell forget about queen in the north..

I agree that she's a Bolton, the show did it, it's a thing now.

She can be Lady of Winterfell or the Dreadfort, depending on what Jon wants to do now. But the point I think was that they wanted someone to follow that was charismatic (well... enough anyway, everyone did like Ned, and Jon is a lot like him), and would lead in the battles.

Plus with Westeros being traditionally patriarchal, they wouldn't have elevated Sansa unless they had absolutely no other choice.

I think Sansa should take the Dreadfort and Jon would Keep Winterfell as the seat of the Northern Kingdom.

Give Karhold to Tormund, send men to Eddison Tollett to hold the wall. This would help keep the peace between the Wildlings in the Gift and the Wall itself.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:37 AM, Rhaegun said:

Some of this discussion focuses on kingship being inherited.  This is true only if there actually is a kingdom.  The North surrendered to the Targareyens, so there is no kingdom of the north to inherit.  It has to be won by rebellion.  Warden of the North is an appointed title, Lord or Lady of Winterfell is an inherited title, but King in the North has to be won,  The lords of the north can swear fealty to whoever they want, but until the North is recognized as independent from the Seven Kingdoms, the title is an empty one.

Also ... inherited Kingship is typically forced on the Nobility by an uber-powerful 'Royal Family'.  Otherwise, a King would be elected/chosen by said Nobility.   Disagree re. recognition being required by the government in KL.  The North has, in effect, redeclared their independence.  What or whom the Six Kingdoms ;-) recognizes or accepts matters not one jot in the North.

On 9 July 2016 at 11:25 AM, Tchzaelous said:

I think Sansa should take the Dreadfort and Jon would Keep Winterfell as the seat of the Northern Kingdom.

Maybe after the wars, if any of them are still alive, but for now they need to stick together and show that the Starks are back and unified, and Winterfell is where the power is.  If they split up again as soon as they've found each other it weakens them.

And the Dreadfort sounds like a house of horrors so I doubt Sansa would want it.  But I agree that all the empty holdfasts should be given to his men, to strengthen the North and prepare for winter and what's to come.

2 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

"If you keep all your treasures in one purse, you only make it easier for those who would rob you." - Robb Stark

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. ."

- Eddard Stark

21 hours ago, Kytheros said:

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. ."

- Eddard Stark

Being in a different location doesn't mean you are "without your pack". The quote I used was literal in response to keeping people in the same location, that quote is about not fighting against your family. 

• 1 month later...

Archived