Which of the nine regions have the Targaryens married into?

Emie

I haven't read the books in some time so my memory is a little fuzzy from remembering the marriage alliances of the Targaryens when they still ruled the Seven Kingdoms. Anyway, I don't care about the main houses of each region, like the Lannister's of The Westerlands or the Starks of the North, what I'm curious about are just which of the nine regions of Westeros have the Targaryens been married to any of the families of those regions, and which of them have they never formed marriages with? For example has a Targaryen ever been married to one of the Houses of the North? I know they have been married to people from the Riverlands and Dorne, but I can't remember the others. :(

Riverlands (Blackwoods, Brackens (if you count misstresses))

Dorne (Martell, Dayne)

Crownlands (Velaryon)

Reach (Hightower)

Stormlands (Baratheon, Penrose, Plumm, Dondarrion)

Westernlands (Westerling)

Vale (Arryn, Royce)

It is likely I missed some some house, but that house is certanly not from iI and North, there were negotiations to marry a Targ to Stark durin DoD but it never happened.

In addition to @dariopatke's list:

• Riverlands: Harroway (used to rule Harroway's Town on the Trident & then was rewarded with Harrenhal during Maegor's reign after the extinction of the previous holder, House Qoherys, a Valyrian-descended House loyal to the Targs since before the Conquest).
  • Reach: Costayne (vassal House of the Hightowers, somewhat prominent in their own right)
  • Stormlands: Bolling (cadet branch of House Durrandon, the previous rulers of the region before the Baratheons & who they descent from in the female-line), Tarth (they have recent "ties" to the Targs, along with Houses Durrandon & Baratheon, the former at least we know they have intermarried with; likely from one of Egg's sisters, Princess Daella or Princess Rhae).
  • Westerlands: Plumm (a prominent vassal of the Lannisters & the son of that union was possibly one of Aegon IV's bastards & not the trueborn son of the Lord Plumm with Princess Elaena).
  • Vale: Corbray (one of the most prominent of House Arryn's vassals).
  • Essos: The Rogare family (very powerful & wealthy Lyseni noble-merchant family tracing their descent from Valyria, Lady Larra married Prince Viserys, future second of his name & had the future Aegon IV, Prince Aemon the Dragonknight & Queen Naerys. I also think Aegon IV's last mistress & mother of Shiera Seastar, Serenei of Lys, was actually a descendant of the Rogares herself), unnamed family from Tyrosh, Kiera, daughter of the then Archon (or political rival of the Archon) in an alliance against the Blackfyre supporters in Tyrosh who had their own marriage alliance with Daemon I, in Rohanne of another powerful family.
  • One of Jaehaerys I & Good Queen Alysanne's daughters, Princess Viserra, was betrothed to the Lord Manderly at the time, but died from a fall when drunkenly racing through the streets of KL before they were married.
  • Egg's kids were betrothed to Houses Baratheon (Prince Duncan), Tully (Prince Jaehaerys), Tyrell (Princess Shaera) & Redwyne (Prince Daeron) but they broke all of them off!

A Stormlands headcanon: Another Dondarrion (Daena the Defiant being the mother of Jena Dondarrion, who went on to marry Prince Baelor Breakspear, having two sons, Princes Valarr & Matarys). It's also rumoured, from a semi-canon source, that Prince Jacaerys Velaryon, heir of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, secretly married Lord Cregan Stark's unnamed bastard sister.

The Riverlands: The Harroway's, The Blackwood's and the Bracken's.

The Reach: Hightower, Costayne

Vale: Arryn

The Stormlands: Baratheon, Dondarion, Penrose,

Dorne: Martell, Dayne

Crownlands: Velaryon

Essos: Rogare, zo Loraq

Westerlands: Plumm, Westerling

None from either the North or the Iron Islands.

Egg had two sister's, but we don't know which house they were married to. Possibly one was married to a Tarth (mentioned to have ties to the Targaryen family) but I have no idea where the other could have gone.

@Lord Corlys Velaryon where did you find the evidence for the Corbray and Bolling ties? I have looked and can't seem to find anything.

4 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

@Lord Corlys Velaryon where did you find the evidence for the Corbray and Bolling ties? I have looked and can't seem to find anything.

Scratch Bolling - I was thinking of Elinor Costayne's first husband. Princess Rhaena, daughter of Prince Daemon & Lady Laena Velaryon was married to Ser Corwyn Corbray, one of Aegon III's Regents, before he was killed by a crossbowman at a parley at Runestone in 134. The MUSH even has Rhaena having had a stillborn child by him. Sometime after she would go on to marry Garmund Hightower.

Crownlands: Velaryon.
Dorne: Martell, Dayne, Vaith and Manwoody.
Reach: Hightower and Costayne.
Riverlands: Blackwood, Harroway, Lothston, Bracken and  maybe Strong.
Stormlands: Baratheon, Penrose and Dondarrion.
Vale: Arryn, Corbay and Royce.
Westernlands: Plumm and Westerling.

From Essos; 
Braavos: Otherys
Tyrosh: Kiera of Tyrosh's family
From Lys; House Rogare and  Serenei of Lys' family

9 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Plumm

They are fom Westerlands.

3 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Scratch Bolling - I was thinking of Elinor Costayne's first husband. Princess Rhaena, daughter of Prince Daemon & Lady Laena Velaryon was married to Ser Corwyn Corbray, one of Aegon III's Regents, before he was killed by a crossbowman at a parley at Runestone in 134. The MUSH even has Rhaena having had a stillborn child by him. Sometime after she would go on to marry Garmund Hightower.

Ah okay, fair enough. Guess I missed that when I was looking at the family tree. It's just so damn big!

Thanks everyone! This is awesome. So pretty much every region except the North and the Iron Islands. You're right Ser Few of the Fingers, that does make Jon more special. :D 

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

They are fom Westerlands.

Yes, I dont know why did I put them in Stormlands.

3 hours ago, Emie said:

Thanks everyone! This is awesome. So pretty much every region except the North and the Iron Islands. You're right Ser Few of the Fingers, that does make Jon more special. :D 

I find even more special Stark marriages, they managed to arry either in the North or Blackwoods (origins from North) and Royces (ancient First Men house) before Ned married Cat (Andal house), I wonder if that will have some impact on our story.

About Iron Isles... well two Greyjoys want to marry her but I think I have more chances to marry Daenerys than them. Also there might be two reasons why this marriage never happened: they are minor, important, isolated,...(unaviable) and that "When Kraken weds a Dragon" thing.

8 hours ago, Ser Few of the Fingers said:

I think it is deliberate that the Targaryens married everyone except the northern houses, thus making Jon much more special. There's even a tease of this almost happening with the Pact of Ice and Fire that never came to fruition.

jacareys already married a stark bastard woman to fulfil this pact. 

in fact, it is himself who created this pact with cregan stark. 

8 hours ago, Ser Few of the Fingers said:

I think it is deliberate that the Targaryens married everyone except the northern houses, thus making Jon much more special. There's even a tease of this almost happening with the Pact of Ice and Fire that never came to fruition.

Well as I said, there was the betrothal of Princess Viserra to the then Lord Manderly (mayhaps Desmond from the MUSH), & that was a message to the Starks by Jaehaerys & Alysanne (among others on their progress to the North where they took six dragons) that the Targ-backed Manderlys would replace them if they continued to be belligerent. Of course Viserra died before they married though & interestingly, the Manderlys sided with the Starks (among other Northerners) to vote for the Velaryon faction at the GC of 101, without the Viserra match to keep them tied to the Targs - an adolescent Desmond as the Lord at the time of the progress would make extra sense in the royals likely being able to manipulate him & advisers easier & it would fit in with the timeline of his later marriages & children.

As to the Pact of Ice & Fire, Rhaena was possibly already married to Corwyn Corbray having been in the Vale for most of the Dance & Baela was likely married to her cousin (i.e. uncle) Alyn before Corlys died to bind their claims to Driftmark. But of course whether one or both were still unwed when Cregan Stark was Hand, he chose Black Aly Blackwood instead when she offered herself in exchange for Corlys letting newly Aegon III's edict of pardoning Corlys (arranged by Baela & Rhaena) stand. There was no Targaryen princess of an age a/v later after Aly had passed or when his eldest son, Rickon, was old enough. Then when his next oldest sons, Jonnel & Edric, were older enough along with Aegon III & Daenaera Velaryon's daughters Daena, Rhaena & Elaena; Baelor Butthole (courtesy of Jaime!) wasn't letting them out for anything, let alone to marry a "heathen" Northerner. So I'm guessing that this is when Cregan dueled Prince Aemon the Dragonknight in a first-blood trial by combat over it, but the Pact was essentially dissolved when he lost (though Aemon said he was the best swordsman he ever faced & Cregan was around 30 years his senior!).

But yes, it does help to make Jon's lineage especially interesting.

@Jon's Queen Consort I can't believe I forgot Elaena with Ser Michael Manwoody, especially when she is one of my favourite female historical characters, let alone Targ/Velaryon! And almost certainly Strong - those features, especially as I think Corlys' mother was Princess (formerly Queen) Rhaena, are only really maybe possible from Rodrik Arryn (their maternal great-grandfather) besides. Rhaenyra & Laenor's actions as well certainly pointed to Harwin Strong being the biological father of Jace, Luke & Joff.

9 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Ah okay, fair enough. Guess I missed that when I was looking at the family tree. It's just so damn big!

That it is & that's without Rhaena's possibly being the mother of my username with Lord Daemon Velaryon's son, Aerea &/or Rhalla's almost certain marriages & children, Baela & Alyn's children, Rhaena's six daughters with Garmund Hightower, Alyn & Elaena's bastard twins Jon & Jeyne, Aegon IV's legitimised bastards & the Blackfyres, possibly Daena being the mother of Jena Dondarrion, & finally Daella & Rhaelle's marriages & kids.

8 hours ago, Emie said:

Thanks everyone! This is awesome. So pretty much every region except the North and the Iron Islands.

No worries. Yes, neither the North (well, officially anyway) or the Iron Islands - once Dorne had finally joined the Seven Kingdoms, the most isolationist & troublesome (certainly the Ironborn anyway) of the regions. Viserra's marriage to the Lord Manderly didn't go ahead due to her death & the Pact of Ice & Fire was never fulfilled in terms of a Targaryen princess marrying a Stark. The Iron Islands were generally kept at bay with Westerosi unification meaning larger fleets against them & of course with the potential threat of dragons whilst they were still around. The Westerlands were assisted against the Red Kraken's Ironborn by the Velaryon fleet under Oakenfist & then in the invasion by the Reach fleet under Ser Leo Costayne. Dagon's Ironborn were resisted by the Westerlands & North & eventually with overpowered with the included help of the Crown (perhaps also with say the Redwynes). And of course, seemingly every region bar Dorne joined the party against Balon the Bitch. I think it would've taken at least a couple of generations of Quellon-esque rule of the Ironborn for the Targs to ever consider a political marriage with the Iron Islands.

@dariopatke I think the Starks' (plus the Targs') Blackwood lineage has already had a HUGE impact on our story & will continue to do so (if you're interested on more why & how, follow this thread, where I'm part way through a rather large response to). And I think the Royce ones too have had major impacts as well & will continue to do so, especially with Sansa's arc. Heh, yeah Vic certainly has no chance & Euron could perhaps charm, be beneficial & keep hidden his nastiness shall we say perhaps for Dany to possibly consider this "Daario-heavy" for a while, but even he is far to extreme for her & I think they have a far greater chance of being in conflict than allied/married.

@purple-eyes Well, yes & no, imo. The Pact was for a Targaryen princess specifically, not a Prince. Unless a Prince of Dragonstone like Jace (who was betrothed to Baela) where there would eventually be a half-Stark on the Iron Throne, a princess would be of more benefit to the Starks.

4 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

@dariopatke I think the Starks' (plus the Targs') Blackwood lineage has already had a HUGE impact on our story & will continue to do so (if you're interested on more why & how, follow this thread, where I'm part way through a rather large response to). And I think the Royce ones too have had major impacts as well & will continue to do so, especially with Sansa's arc. Heh, yeah Vic certainly has no chance & Euron could perhaps charm, be beneficial & keep hidden his nastiness shall we say perhaps for Dany to possibly consider this "Daario-heavy" for a while, but even he is far to extreme for her & I think they have a far greater chance of being in conflict than allied/married.

I will join that thread, Blackwoods are one of the most misterious houses.

About Euron... well I think he can be her Westerosi Daario for a while (until she realises who he is, I mean Daario is a bit mad, but Euron is 100% mad) but she wont marry him and she wont bear his children (or anyone's for that matter). Yes, I too think they will end up on oposing sides. I just hope she doesnt end up like poor Falya Flowers.

However I think it is really liekly that Greyjoys take one dragon.

@dariopatke Agreed. Dany could very well be some kind of nominally allied to Euron for a while before she sees more of his true colours, though hopefully she doesn't get too deep in with him say with a marriage. I think Euron is the one getting a dragon, pulling one last fast-one on Vic before he dies who will facilitate such for his elder brother. It may be that a dragonriding Euron is what draws Dany in the most to begin, but what makes her eventually oppose him ... Oh, Falia Flowers! Sure she's a rather ordinary person herself, but she certainly didn't deserve anything near that - not quite the Cinderella story she thought it was =O

On 2/7/2016 at 5:58 AM, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

she is one of my favourite female historical characters

I agree. I really like her and she is one of my fav Targs.

I think Corlys' mother was Princess (formerly Queen) Rhaena

I had never thought abou it before. I like it!

Harwin Strong being the biological father of Jace, Luke & Joff.

Even if I agree that they were most likely Strong's sons which wouldn't matter since their claim came from their mother and not their father, I think that it could be Laenor's children who happened to look like their Arryn or Baratheon ancestor.

Archived