Ser Scot A Ellison

About Dany's Movements at the end of the episode?

44 posts in this topic

Am I the only person wondering how the Dragons will stop to rest on this voyage?  None of those ships looks large enough for them to light upon and rest when they get tired.  Further, when they try, aren't they going to destroy the ship and its rigging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the dragons won't travel the entire route with Daenerys and the others. I believe they'll go to the nearest land to rest but they'll still keep up with the fleet. Especially considering how in the series Drogon sometimes vanishes yet returns to Daenerys seeming to know her whereabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Into the Weirwood said:

I think the dragons won't travel the entire route with Daenerys and the others. I believe they'll go to the nearest land to rest but they'll still keep up with the fleet. Especially considering how in the series Drogon sometimes vanishes yet returns to Daenerys seeming to know her whereabouts.

 

I pretty much thought this. I'm not sure where Dany's armada is located since Dornish ships are with her, but since Drogon likes to fly by the ruins of Valyria, I liked to think thats where they rest on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there something to indicate the dragons can't float? Otherwise, that seems like an easy solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the maps - the Narrow Sea is not that vast.  I bet they can cross it in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swiming takes energy and birds feathers help them float.  That's a lot of hand waving to suppose "the dragons will find her after resting on shore".  What happens if the dragons find a nice area with lots of sheep and shepards and decide to spend a few months eating roast mutton instead of fighting for Dany?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you check the map, the dragons can use the Stepstones between Dorne and The Free Cities to cross the narrow sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Swiming takes energy and birds feathers help them float.  That's a lot of hand waving to suppose "the dragons will find her after resting on shore".  What happens if the dragons find a nice area with lots of sheep and shepards and decide to spend a few months eating roast mutton instead of fighting for Dany?  

Based on the show Dany can call them to her and they listen. Before she flew off to torch the ship, Drogon landed with his head at the exact spot Dany was pointing to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Swiming takes energy and birds feathers help them float.  That's a lot of hand waving to suppose "the dragons will find her after resting on shore".  What happens if the dragons find a nice area with lots of sheep and shepards and decide to spend a few months eating roast mutton instead of fighting for Dany?  

What makes you think dragons can't float? Reptiles in the real world can float and swim so why wouldn't a dragon? Maybe they swim like a crocodile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like birds, I want to believe that dragons can exploit thermal currents while they fly, therefore preserving energy. There is also no notion that dragons cannot float, and positive flotation is strictly a matter of geometry and water-tightness. I have to disagree about the feathers keeping birds float (in real life at least,, it may not be the case in Planetos). We do not have any specifics as to the maximum velocity that each dragon can achieve, however we are talking about dragons therefore finding land every now and then will not be so difficult. In addition why should we exclude the existence of wooden barges being towed only for the dragons to land and rest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Look at the maps - the Narrow Sea is not that vast.  I bet they can cross it in no time.

1 hour ago, Chilli said:

If you check the map, the dragons can use the Stepstones between Dorne and The Free Cities to cross the narrow sea.

It's extremely unlikely they're at the Narrow Sea yet. Likely they're still in Slavers bay.

But the route would never take them far enough from land that the Dragons couldn't just fly to land. Dany at this point does appear to have enough control of the dragons that they will follow her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It's extremely unlikely they're at the Narrow Sea yet. Likely they're still in Slavers bay.

But the route would never take them far enough from land that the Dragons couldn't just fly to land. Dany at this point does appear to have enough control of the dragons that they will follow her.

Exactly. Aside from a short jump across the Narrow Sea from the Stepstones to Dorne, the voyage from Meereen to King's Landing basically follows the coast. The Dragons can pretty much rest and hunt at any point during the journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they've already hooked up with the Tyrells and Martell's so i don't think they are all that far from landing in Westeros. An d there's really nowhere they could go where there would not be land close by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the show guys didn't even think about that. Good observation ha ha. They screw up quite a bit.. a lot of things don't make much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailors historically did not sail far from land, thats why Euron sailing away from land was such a surprise when he attacked the Reach.  If Dany thinks her dragons are getting tired she can hop on drogon and lead them to land.  However I would point out that Rhaegal and Viserion should be very weak having not flown for months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tall Tyrion Lannister! said:

they've already hooked up with the Tyrells and Martell's so i don't think they are all that far from landing in Westeros. An d there's really nowhere they could go where there would not be land close by.

How fricking small have D&D made Westeros and Essos?  Slaver's Bay is now mere days from Westeros?

There is a lot of hand waving being used regarding serious details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How fricking small have D&D made Westeros and Essos?  Slaver's Bay is now mere days from Westeros?

There is a lot of hand waving being used regarding serious details.

Pretty much. Littlefinger flits around so fast you'd think he was Nightcrawler.

Arya still suffering a serious injury left Bravoos got to the Twins, infiltrated it and then murdered Walder Frey in two episodes.

Varys gets from Meereen to Dorne, and back again in two episodes, with at least a few Tyrell ships which would have had to come even farther.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brightflame princess said:

I think the show guys didn't even think about that. Good observation ha ha. They screw up quite a bit.. a lot of things don't make much sense.

You know lizards (all lizards) can swim, right? Even dragons. We even saw them diving for fish a couple of seasons ago. And sailboats are not exactly fast and the dragons simply fly ahead. They don't have to be as slow the fleet. 

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How fricking small have D&D made Westeros and Essos?  Slaver's Bay is now mere days from Westeros?

There is a lot of hand waving being used regarding serious details.

No, it's not mere days. The scriptwriters simply skip ahead. The point was not to show you how the ships travel for several months from Meereen to Westeros, it was only to show you that she's on her way. The same goes for Varys and Littlefinger. They just skip their travel and go straight to the action. Apparently the show creators were wrong. You guys are not smart enough to figure these things by yourselves. You must be spoon fed all the details.

30 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Pretty much. Littlefinger flits around so fast you'd think he was Nightcrawler.

Arya still suffering a serious injury left Bravoos got to the Twins, infiltrated it and then murdered Walder Frey in two episodes.

Varys gets from Meereen to Dorne, and back again in two episodes, with at least a few Tyrell ships which would have had to come even farther.

Read above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.