Tories in turmoil

Gove and May engaged in their tedious arguments

And exiteers intents

to lead the kingdom to a solitude decission

Oh do not ask what is it.

Let us go and make our visit.

In the room journalists come and go, 

talking of little BoJo

I sinerely apologize for butchering good ol' T.S. Eliot, but I couldn't resist after seeing the thread title. 

And indeed there will be time to wonder, "Do I dare?", and "Do I dare." :) 

3 hours ago, Leap said:

Gove promises to spend 100m extra on the NHS per week if he wins. Well, fantastic. Is that on top of the other 350m?

I think it's probably 'instead of' rather than 'on top of'.

Speaking of Gove, someone got to the http://www.gove2016.co.uk/ domain before he did and decided to bring back the classic 'Gove fights an alien invasion' cartoon from a few years ago.

Andrea Leadsom is now considered the runner up to May. It looks like Gove, in destroying Johnson, has probably overreached. So bizarre that the two Brexit leaders look like they'll both fail to take the leadership. Farage might even be on the ropes too. Aaron Banks is allegedly considering a big rebrand of UKIP possibly without Farage.

It's kind of hard to run on a ticket of betrayal, skullduggery and knifing people in the back. Maybe if you don't do it in the full glare of the country's media and admit you did it but it was okay because you believed it was a good idea at the time, honest.

The question now is are Gove and Johnson finished in front-line politics? I understand Gove and May are not on good terms and any kind of front bench job for Gove in a May cabinet would be unlikely. And it looks like Osborne is shrewdly moving around to a backing May position without committing fully to it just yet. He might be trying to swing remaining in his post under May.

9 hours ago, Notone said:

So let us go then, Wales and I, 

while the Pound is falling from the sky

like patient etherized upon a table,

let us go thru half deserted streets,

the muttering retreats

of restless nights in Downing Street

Tories in turmoil

Gove and May engaged in their tedious arguments

And exiteers intents

to lead the kingdom to a solitude decission

Oh do not ask what is it.

Let us go and make our visit.

In the room journalists come and go, 

talking of little BoJo

I sinerely apologize for butchering good ol' T.S. Eliot, but I couldn't resist after seeing the thread title. 

And indeed there will be time to wonder, "Do I dare?", and "Do I dare." :) 

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

One of my favourite poems.  You did it justice.....

By my only question was, who the hell is A. B. de Pfeffel Johnson?

Holy smokes.  :o

That is the name of nightmares.  Think of what kind of a childhood poor Boris had.

BJ was apparently one of the most popular kids in his set. Captain of the school, star of the Wall Game (:P), president of the Oxford Union etc.  His name probably added to his rep.

Speaking of the oxford union, I keep hearing commentators saying Gove's actions are more like student politics. Really? Is that the kind of thing that goes on? I'm only aware of amusing campaign videos and song parodies.

7 hours ago, john said:

Speaking of the oxford union, I keep hearing commentators saying Gove's actions are more like student politics. Really? Is that the kind of thing that goes on? I'm only aware of amusing campaign videos and song parodies.

Yeah, I wondered about that as well.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I understand Gove and May are not on good terms and any kind of front bench job for Gove in a May cabinet would be unlikely.

They had a big row about extremism in schools a couple of years back when Gove was at Education.

15 hours ago, john said:

BJ was apparently one of the most popular kids in his set. Captain of the school, star of the Wall Game (:P), president of the Oxford Union etc.  His name probably added to his rep.

It should be noted that the Oxford Union is a debating society, and not to be confused with the Oxford student union.

28 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Maybe at Eton having a common Scottish name like 'David Cameron' might have been more notable?

On a very slightly related note, I have found out today that a majority of the Tory leadership candidates are Scottish - I already knew about Gove, but it turns out both Fox and Crabb were also born north of the border.

4 minutes ago, Maltrouane Fellaini said:

On a very slightly related note, I have found out today that a majority of the Tory leadership candidates are Scottish - I already knew about Gove, but it turns out both Fox and Crabb were also born north of the border.

You cannot hide. We are everywhere. We are taking control.

2 hours ago, Maltrouane Fellaini said:

There can't have have been many Tory leadership elections where there wasn't an English man competing for the post. It would be ironic if it was a Scottish Prime Minister who presided over Scotland becoming independent.

We should obviously keep better control of our Scottish-born politicians, they seem to go a bid mad if we let them venture south of the border (see also Tony Blair or IDS).

The question now is are Gove and Johnson finished in front-line politics?

Maybe Johnson will seek what he sees as his political destiny further afield, after all he was born in America and they have an inexplicable fondness for eccentric populists with unlikely hair?

Archived