UK Politics: The Love Song of A. B. de Pfeffel Johnson

Datepalm

On 27/07/2016 at 8:34 PM, Liffguard said:

I honestly wonder what Labour's strategy is if Corbyn retains the leadership. He's deeply unpopular with the population as a whole but I can't see how the MPs could legitimately unseat him if he handily wins a second leadership election. Fall-in behind him and try make the best of a bad situation? Give up 2020 as lost and start positioning for post-election leadership challenges? Break away either to other parties or to form a new one? None seem like good options.

Making the best of the situation, I think, in the hope that Corbyn does become a better and more inclusive leader (and the fact he isn't when that was a central part of his platform would be quite damaging if it was better articulated) over the four years. There's nothing else they can do if they don't want to destroy the party.

The Labour Party is in serious trouble and it's not helped that the Tories have resolved their party issues (at least for now) very quickly and rallied around a new leader, whilst also mentioning their championing of the gay marriage bill and now having multiple female leaders (typically policies you'd expect from Labour) whilst rolling back the worst excesses of austerity. In a matter of weeks the Conservatives have almost completely moved into the area - at least in rhetoric - previously occupied by New Labour. It's leaving the Blairite wing of the party with nowhere to go.

Things can change rather rapidly so who knows what Labour's fortunes will be in two or four years, but they do seem in danger of making themselves completely irrelevant. Smith was quite right when he said it takes decades for a party to build up but days for it to destroy itself.

3 hours ago, Denvek said:

So who gets Disraeli?

Well, the Home Office is the only Great Office of State without an official mouser, although the man himself never held that position.

Yougov poll, 20-25 July, Scotland, online.

This is the first poll since the ones done immediately after the Brexit vote, all of which showed independence in the lead.

Should Scotland be an independent country 53/47 to NO.

Should Scotland be in the UK and out of the EU or be out of the UK and in the EU, 55/45 to the UK.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, Werthead said:

Making the best of the situation, I think, in the hope that Corbyn does become a better and more inclusive leader (and the fact he isn't when that was a central part of his platform would be quite damaging if it was better articulated) over the four years. There's nothing else they can do if they don't want to destroy the party.

The Labour Party is in serious trouble and it's not helped that the Tories have resolved their party issues (at least for now) very quickly and rallied around a new leader, whilst also mentioning their championing of the gay marriage bill and now having multiple female leaders (typically policies you'd expect from Labour) whilst rolling back the worst excesses of austerity. In a matter of weeks the Conservatives have almost completely moved into the area - at least in rhetoric - previously occupied by New Labour. It's leaving the Blairite wing of the party with nowhere to go.

Things can change rather rapidly so who knows what Labour's fortunes will be in two or four years, but they do seem in danger of making themselves completely irrelevant. Smith was quite right when he said it takes decades for a party to build up but days for it to destroy itself.

Labour are safe from complete destruction in England and Wales, so long as they have no rival on the Left.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Labour are safe from complete destruction in England and Wales, so long as they have no rival on the Left.

Well, there is the Green party, who have already picked up a little of Labour's vote. (They got 3.8% in 2015, compared to Labour's 30.5%.)

But complete destruction does look unlikely. Irrelevance though ...

15 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

I'm still waiting for the real plp challenger. You know, the electable one.

That's fair. Myself, I'm still waiting for Jeremy Corbyn to achieve something as Labour leader. I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting a long time.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

That's fair. Myself, I'm still waiting for Jeremy Corbyn to achieve something as Labour leader. I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting a long time.

Well, he did achieve Brexit, which he would have been openly in favour of if i) he didn't have to side with a bunch of xenophobes and conservatives and ii) he wasn't Labour Party leader and had to be seen to be supporting the party's official position.

I see this stabbing incident in England got a whole bunch of news coverage with the T word being liberally bandied about and publicly not ruled out by the Met. And now just a short time later they have ruled it out. Is every criminal incident that involves the death or injury of more than 1 person now going to be provisionally labelled as terrorism unless there is some other crime (like robbery) attached to it? It's a good way to keep people on edge and near panic. Is the t word trotted out early on as standard practice because the enforcement agencies don't want to risk looking bad if they don't use it at the earliest opportunity and then it does turn out to be a terrorist / terrorism inspired attack?

Who trotted out the T Word? The Met was careful not to rule it out, while saying they thought it was a mental health issue, and the government and the BBC carefully kept to that line. Who do you think is trying to keep the people on the edge of panic and for what purpose? 

5 hours ago, Hereward said:

Who trotted out the T Word? The Met was careful not to rule it out, while saying they thought it was a mental health issue, and the government and the BBC carefully kept to that line. Who do you think is trying to keep the people on the edge of panic and for what purpose? 

Almost every media report I saw on this side of the world had the T word in the headline and if not it was in the first paragraph. And the first salient quote taken from the Met was that "we can't rule out terrorism". Some articles used the T word 3 or more times. But I must admit I did not read any reports from the Beeb.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, he did achieve Brexit, which he would have been openly in favour of if i) he didn't have to side with a bunch of xenophobes and conservatives and ii) he wasn't Labour Party leader and had to be seen to be supporting the party's official position.

I keep hearing this from people who've never met the guy and never spoken to him about the subject. Yet Corbyn's position was and is, before, during and after the referendum, consistent and it was against Brexit.

There are only two possibilities: either he's telling the truth, or for political reasons he has been lying about his views all along and continues to do so. I prefer the first, if only because the evidence for the last is actually pretty sketchy (consisting largely of 'well he used to be against it' and 'it was the official party position', as if Corbyn as leader hasn't publicly gone against the party position whenever he disagreed with it). But the second, if you prefer that one, doesn't reflect well on him.

In any case, even if we were to accept that he's a secret Brexiteer, like most achievements claimed for Corbyn, this is something that happened while he was leader but not because he was leader. It's no achievement.

It is entirely possible to dislike the EU but think the parameters for leaving it were all wrong. Just look at George Monbiot, who essentially said of the referendum that the EU "is a cesspool" but leaving it would likely be even worse.

Looking to liven up your life?

Look no further.

Take this test on buzzfeed to determine how Blairite you are!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/what-percent-blairite-are-you?utm_term=.adm56yMa4#.airqaJGv7

My result:

''You Got: I'm 31% Blairite! You're officially not a Blairite! You may or may not be a Jeremy Corbyn fan, but just because there's been a challenge to his leadership, doesn't mean you're about to abandon your politics.''

If you got near a 100% they call you 'Blairite Scum' apparently.

In other news:

I am distressed that the cybernats have driven David Torrance off twitter. I like David Torrance.

I only learnt yesterday how close Russell Square is to my route back to King's Cross Station. I narrowly missed the knifeman on Wednesday!

On 5.8.2016 at 5:32 PM, Chaircat Meow said:

Looking to liven up your life?

Look no further.

Take this test on buzzfeed to determine how Blairite you are!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahjewell/what-percent-blairite-are-you?utm_term=.adm56yMa4#.airqaJGv7

My result:

''You Got: I'm 31% Blairite! You're officially not a Blairite! You may or may not be a Jeremy Corbyn fan, but just because there's been a challenge to his leadership, doesn't mean you're about to abandon your politics.''

If you got near a 100% they call you 'Blairite Scum' apparently.

In other news:

I am distressed that the cybernats have driven David Torrance off twitter. I like David Torrance.

I only learnt yesterday how close Russell Square is to my route back to King's Cross Station. I narrowly missed the knifeman on Wednesday!

My result was:

You got: I'm 21% Blairite! You're officially not a Blairite! You may or may not be a Jeremy Corbyn fan, but just because there's been a challenge to his leadership, doesn't mean you're about to abandon your politics.''

Although I am not even british. I was just genuinly interested what I would get.

I would appreciate if someone who is british/or very experienced with british politics tries to explain to me in a few sentences what makes Jeremy Corbyn a bad leader for labour? From what I've read in our newspapers I do not agree with some of his statements, but I didn't like Tony Blair either...

Not totally unsurprised. 

You Got: I'm 80% Blairite!You're a Blairite through and through! You think it's time for Corbyn to go, for heaven's sake, so that Labour can get back to business. You're confident in your opinions, but good luck dealing with those friends of yours on Facebook! You know, those ones...

Archived