Jorah Mormont going to Asshai and the return of Quaithe in season7

3 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I think Jorah would go to Oldtown, bcause there is Citadele, the center of knowledge. He would probably meet Sam there.

I think this is most the plausible option. The show is merging the cast together, not spreading them further away. Wherever Jorah goes, it will be to interract with an existing main cast member. That leaves only one option for Ser Jorah which is Oldtown and Sam. It was a Maester who cured Shireen. It is the most logical place for him to go. He already has the connection with Sam via Jeor Mormont. I think Ser Jorah will believe Sam about the Whitewalkers and that will be the turning point to sending Dany north to help fight the Whitewalkers.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:46 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Show Quaithe was warding a guy to keep him safe from Valyiria, so it would make perfect sense she would know something about how to cure Greyscale.

Indeed plus of course she also comments on him loving Dany and its highly likely I'd imagine that the reason for giving Jorah greyscale in the first place is that however cures him will also give him greater purpose in Dany's role against the WW's.  Quaithe already hinted at Jorah's feelings for Dany as well so the connection is there plus it seems likely that he might well miss out the more conventional battles for the throne only to return in time for the supernatural conflict that follows.

The big issue we don't know of course is exactly what role Asshai(and the darklands) might play in the story of the walkers and indeed the R'hllorish religion. Is it just a mysterious place created to give a sense of a wider world or will it be involved in whats happening with the Walkers? that the children created the Walkers to me tends to suggest the former and honestly my guess is that all the more supernatural elements will be more a manifestation of innate "magic" in the world(rather than gods) that might potentially have to be purged to defeat the Walkers.

I spose you could say even if Asshai and the shadowlands don't have some deep significance in themselves they could still make an interesting place to travel though for Jorah looking for Quaithe or perhaps someone similar.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:46 PM, Dornishwoman's Husband said:

If the rumors which I have heard are true, one of the new location to be introduced in season 7 will be Asshai by the Shadow. Though GRRM said there will be no POV characters directly in Asshai, the show could make it just opposite. Only person which I can see going there is Jorah Mormont. There, he could find a cure for his greyscale disease and have a reunion with Quaithe.

Back in season 2, Jorah was the only person who ever talked with Quaithe, which was very sucks. If the show already introduced her, it would be stupid not to show her again. We should really find out more about her identity, and other mysteries and secrets which she could reveal to Jorah.

Interesting post, great thoughts!

I think Kinvara might have a connection to Asshai though too, right?  I've kind of thought for a while that Kinvara would be involved in Jorah's healing from the grayscale, and frankly I'd be more interested in seeing Kinvara than Quaithe again.  

My recollection of Quaithe is that she basically said a few vague, mysterious lines, then disappeared, so to speak. Kinda boring, I thought more a prop than a character.  

Kinvara, on the other hand, seemed to be a real player, sticking her nose in current events and dominating Varys during their meeting, which is no mean feat.

On 3 July 2016 at 3:25 PM, grufolo said:

All of them would be awesome!

The biggest disappointment for me in season 6 was that very little was revealed about the world mechanics (except in the North, where WW origin and the fact that the North ised to be temperate are revealed).

Asshai and Skaagos should reveal some secres, i believe

True but GRRM didn't reveal much of anything about them. And the show has gotten a lot of backlash for taking the initiative and progressing the story, so maybe they want to stay clear of that.

I would love to see more of Ashai or Skaagos though. I would love to see some wild dragons, that would be so awesome.

• 7 months later...
On 6.9.2016 at 4:18 AM, Cron said:

My recollection of Quaithe is that she basically said a few vague, mysterious lines, then disappeared, so to speak. Kinda boring, I thought more a prop than a character.  

Not how she was in the books, but the show appearence seemed particularly intriguing because she came off like some sort of supernatural SD6 agent pretending to be a massagist just to tell vague helpful stuff to Jorah specifically - kinda makes you want to know more, you know?

On 5.9.2016 at 6:49 PM, MoreOrLess said:

and honestly my guess is that all the more supernatural elements will be more a manifestation of innate "magic" in the world(rather than gods) that might potentially have to be purged to defeat the Walkers.

That might be particularly interesting actually, because Arya might not like that one bit: to her, magic primarily presented itself as a salvation against worldly human horrors, i.e. being held captive in a torture prison and being unable to do anything about it.

True there's a downside to that as the FM dish out death without moral discernment, but she seems to be kinda somewhat blind or indifferent to that; and she probably clings to the possibility of resurrection even if she got annoyed with the BwB for some stupid reason at some point.

So she might try or be tempted to counteract this valiant collective effort against the WWs, probably by joining in with some countergroup with common or similar interests.

If that's what it's gonna be about, that is.

On 5.9.2016 at 6:49 PM, MoreOrLess said:

The big issue we don't know of course is exactly what role Asshai(and the darklands) might play in the story of the walkers and indeed the R'hllorish religion. Is it just a mysterious place created to give a sense of a wider world or will it be involved in whats happening with the Walkers? that the children created the Walkers to me tends to suggest the former and honestly

Well, it's called the "Long Night" - the event was a Long Winter, and a Long Night.

The book Others seem to shun or fear the light of day, though not so much the show ones - their leader's called the Night King though.

Then, in the Red Religion, night and darkness appear to be the main antithesis to the Lord of "Light" - fire and light, against cold and darkness.

Melisandre and her cult of fire priests hail from Asshai; they use "shadow assassins" (haven't quite gotten how those are supposed to be servants of Light, but what can you do), and then you've got the "Shadow Lands" right next there.

So all that seems to clearly indicate that, yes, that mysterious Eastern area is very much "central to the mythology"; maybe the unexplored far-East is the source of the Night and the unexplored far-North is the source of the Winter?
I don't think he'd just break the map off at what seems like the edges of the 2 respective continents for no reason at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 7:58 PM, Pink Fat Rast said:

Not how she was in the books, but the show appearence seemed particularly intriguing because she came off like some sort of supernatural SD6 agent pretending to be a massagist just to tell vague helpful stuff to Jorah specifically - kinda makes you want to know more, you know?

Sure, I'd welcome more information about Quaithe.

HIghly doubt we'll ever get it, though.

My belief is that when both the books and show are done, there will be many loose ends that are never tied up, especially in the show (I believe this b/c the story is so huge, and the time they have to wrap everything up is so highly limited, only 7 episodes this year and 6 episodes next year to cover the biggest and most important events of all, so I highly doubt they'l be spending time wrapping up loose ends regarding very minor characters)

Well, I expect Asshai / Shadowlands to get a pay-off since that stuff does seem to be of central importance (i.e. as opposed to the underground monsters from LOTR, or the Deep Ones associated with the Ironborn) - Quaithe herself doesn't have to come back, but maybe the group or agenda she belonged to.

Archived