Is the romance between aunt and nephew the incest in Westeros?

Debra Morgan

It's not normal.  The degree of consanguinity (3) falls between siblings (2) and first cousins (4).  We know that First Cousin marriage is not unusual in Westeros, so aunt-nephew marriages probably are not anathema, but may not be encouraged either.  I don't know of any examples.  I looked, but we don't have enough family trees.  At some point people were under the impression that Rickard Stark's wife was his aunt, but she was actually a 1st cousin once removed (5).

1 minute ago, The Wolves said:

Plus who the hell would want to marry their aunt or nephew. 

Someone whose aunt or nephew has a claim to something.  Or someone whose aunt or nephew can protect them.  Or, I suppose, someone with a really attractive aunt or nephew.

I feel as though this is one of those gray areas. As ShadowCat Rivers pointed out, Aeron supports a union between Victarion and Asha. If I'm not mistaken, Victarion's response to this is something along the lines of, "Well I never thought of her like that." He didn't think that it was against the Drowned God per se, but it certainly didn't strike him as "normal."

On a side note, I did once hear someone make the argument that there were uncle and niece marriages in the Stark family line. I don't know who those would be, though. Rickard and Lyarra were cousins, for example, which is not incest by Westerosi standards.

I don't think Westeros would have a problem with an aunt/nephew marriage - especially when there are few other options.  We have extremely recent examples of people marrying babies and hostages for claims.  All's fair in the world of political marriages.  Add in the long history Targaryens have in this particular area, and I don't think people would bat an eye.

8 hours ago, CJ McLannister said:

Fun fact: Hitler's father was her mother's uncle.

And look how well that turned out. Lol. New topic "If Hitler was Lord of Harrenhall During Aerys II Targ's reign"

Their kids can come out with some problems...still, out of necessity such as the most advantageous marriage for two people who have almost the same claim to the throne...it can be considered.
Targs married inside the family exactly to avoid extending the family to other houses so then they can start rebellions

Honestly it's a taboo but Targs were doing it and no one cared as long as they kept their own privileges.

Archived