What does the title allude to?

My thinking the Winds Of Winter is in reference to the re emergence of the Starks. In days long gone the Starks were the Kings of Winter and their words winter is coming didn't speak of a change in the weather but the the belief that one day the king of winter (like king Arthur) will return. But over the centuries the true meaning of their words was forgotten - like the north forgot the wall wasn't built to keep out wildlings but the real threat the others, and in the past the Starks of legend were furious when stirred to wrath, if winter is coming for you your doomed. House words that are also an implied threat. The king of winter is coming.
The north will rise again.

The remaining Starks will  probably play into the title quite nicely and they will take back Winterfell, but I really don't think the entire book will be dedicated to them. Most probably, the title is related to the Others coming South and to the literal change of seasons. 

Winter's coming, the Others with it, things are going to get worse than they have been, etc. I imagine the north will be in trouble, the Wall probably overcome, and the south completely unprepared for an attack thanks to the WOTFK + the new wars just beginning in ADWD.

Last book was originally titled A Time For Wolves before it became A Dream For Spring, so my guess is that will feature the Stark resurgence. 

The most obvious interpretation is probably the coming of the Others as well as the change of season. I also like the idea that it suggests the Starks are on the rise for a change. More symbolically, winter is a time full of hardship and challenges, and I'm sure there will be plenty of that for all the characters in the story.

Words are wind, so Words of Winter?  

Words can be a story or a tale, so one can interpret the title as something along the lines of the Tale(s) of Winter.   (Note that words=wind, so winds in the plural can be interpreted as words in the collective sense, not just the plural.)

Words are also another term for vow(s).  "Saying the words" is often referred to "making a vow."  So, vows might be a prominent feature in WoW.  With regard to the Starks, there's Arya's "death list" vow and the vow of a Stark always in Winterfell.  Wedding vows... there might be many more marriages taking place in WoW.  Other vows might be allegiances that are forged, with regard to swearing fealty to someone. 

I think it refers to the coming of Winter, and the harshness of the coming conflict. The Others , the wars the sheer hellish nature of the weather conditions. And yes the coming back together of the Starks.  See the Quote in my signature. 

As to House Words, a warning, Winter is Coming and with it the Others. Starks are sworn IMO to protect from the Others, and to hold the North in the hard winter years. 

The titles mean nothing anymore as the series is out of sync.  ADWD was originally meant to focus on Dany's return to Westeros and the presumed ADWD that came with it.  In the actual released ADWD the DWD didn't happen.  It'll probably happen in ADOS now.

I think there is a double meaning.The first one, which is obvious, is that winter has come and Westeros is devastated by war.The second meaning is that the characters (at least the main) will become more ruthless and more determined to do what they want.I see the Stark uprising to be a part of the last book.

Archived