Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

I think a a lot of people have been wondering the same thing. In my opinion, these prices may be here to stay. They seem to be going up, but will plateau at some point. I wish I had bought more sets when there were no bidding wars :)

As for lettered sets, I think 10k may just be the beginning. The rules of supply and demand would have kept the price astronomical even. Before the series took off. Now that millions more around the world are discovering this truely awesome series, there are just more people after these precious collectable.

We'll have to wait and see, or just take the plunge and pick one up.

Can't remember who mentioned it last, but I really think those Valyrian Steel swords will be the next hotly sought after item.

This is just ridiculous.

Numbered set for 4500??? Lettered for 10k?

At what point will this bubble burst? Or is it a bubble? If season two is even more successful or Game wins an Emmy or 2, how high can this go?

Or is this just because of the incredible hype surrounding a hit HBO series debut AND Dance with Dragons hitting the NY Times #1 after a 6 year wait?

How high will prices go once the series is complete? And will the release of the SP Game and Clash create more "complete sets" thus driving down the prices slightly? In other words, will people really care that the series they own will be missing the Meisha Merlin versions if they can "complete" it with the SP Game and Clash.

Well, I've had a lot of interest in this numbered set, but all well below what they are going for on eBay. I'll entertain offers for another week. If nothing good comes up, I'll just keep them for another few years. See if he price goes up more :) I'm actually in no hurry to sell them, so I can wait. Thx for the interest guys.

Well, I've had a lot of interest in this numbered set, but all well below what they are going for on eBay. I'll entertain offers for another week. If nothing good comes up, I'll just keep them for another few years. See if he price goes up more :) I'm actually in no hurry to sell them, so I can wait. Thx for the interest guys.

e-mail me at theswordofthemorning at yahoo.com and let me know what you are looking for.

lol yeah... im wondering about my brain circuitry myself, but i see numbered going to 10, and lettereds going to 20 or 25, in the next 10 years, theres not really any precedent, look at dark tower limited set value, and they didn't even have the unprecedented support that this has

its not just hbo, tons of ppl are playing the board game, and the card game, AND the new war-game, and with emmy's likely coming, i found it pretty easy to justify, even though I'm in 1st year med school

plus i just wanted them, lol, I'm obsessed with these books, and didn't want to risk having to pay even more than current ebay price a year from now

it was a private transaction last night... haven't received them yet though, they'll be shipped tomorrow so I'm still a little nervous, but paypal/credit card has me covered!

I just bought a full unbroken numbered set for 5050... so the value has creeped a little higher :P

Woooo I'm in the club!! Now just to find a lettered set for $250 :P

WOW!!!

Is it ever going to end? Damn, I should have bought more years ago!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't care about the numbered. Somebody pay bigger money for the lettered!

Some people have both Justinian . . . :thumbsup:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you won't see another lettered set anytime soon. That last one was first I'd seen in a decade, it may be a decade more before we seen another one . . . and it won't be for 10k. :drool:

lol yeah... im wondering about my brain circuitry myself, but i see numbered going to 10, and lettereds going to 20 or 25, in the next 10 years, theres not really any precedent, look at dark tower limited set value, and they didn't even have the unprecedented support that this has

its not just hbo, tons of ppl are playing the board game, and the card game, AND the new war-game, and with emmy's likely coming, i found it pretty easy to justify, even though I'm in 1st year med school

plus i just wanted them, lol, I'm obsessed with these books, and didn't want to risk having to pay even more than current ebay price a year from now

it was a private transaction last night... haven't received them yet though, they'll be shipped tomorrow so I'm still a little nervous, but paypal/credit card has me covered!

Well . . . welcome to the club and congratulations. I see you're thinking like me in terms of potential growth in future. It's interesting you brought up the Dark Tower Series as that is the only other series I can think of to compare. Stephen King's signature has long since been worth a great deal because his popularity relative to the frequency with which he signs books is ridiculous. I believe that a complete MATCHING numbered set of all 7 Dark Tower books had asking prices in the 20,000 dollar range. Not sure if it ever SOLD for that price though . . .

First year medical student eh? Congrats on that. 5k is a lot of scratch at that level. Depending on your residency you won't be making much money for another 7 to 10 years at least. I'm an otolaryngology attending myself.

I know this is off topic, but what the heck is "otolaryngology " :)

I agree, these are quickly getting into unobtainable/unaffordable territory. I'm still in shock. 5k? I had also given a lot of thought as to the future value of these sets compared to the buying prices today. But I never thought they'd go up this fast. Good for some, not so good for many others.

lol, otolaryngology is mainly the study of the ear, hearing and balance right?

I did my masters in hearing loss genetics, interesting that we have that connection :P

one good thing for me is that med school is cheap, just 6500 a year here in newfoundland, so that helps, and I'm going in with no debt from undergrad or Msc

where did you go? where are you doing residency?

Hi Guys,

Otolaryngology broken down into the latin roots is simply the study of the ear and throat. In reality it should be more accurately otorhinolaryngology which is then the study of the ear, NOSE, and throat. There are historical reasons for why rhino is left out but I don't want to bore anyone.

In any case, it encompasses all diseases of the head and neck excepting the brain (neurosurgery) and the eye (ophthalmology) and is usually also known more colloquially as Head and Neck Surgery or Ear, Nose, and Throat or ENT although many in our specialty dislike ENT (it's like calling your cardiologist . . . HEART).

Dave, I finished my residency 5 years ago. :) I'm now on staff at Loma Linda Medical Center which is located in southern California in the United States. If you are only paying 6500 dollars you are lucky medical training is so cheap in Canada. Here in the U.S., tuition at a private medical school will run you 20k to 25k per year and will kiss 40k when you add in living expenses and miscellaneous. No, that doesn't include a drug habit. No, that doesn't include buying 5000 dollar George RR Martin collectible books.

Think about that 200,000 dollar debt and the fact that most physicians gave up their 20s and half their 30's studying and working 80 to 100 hour weeks when you complain about how much money we make . . . understanding that the average physician makes not much more than 220k a year and about half that is taken away in taxes, social security, etc.

We do what we do because most of us love taking care of people the way we would want ourselves or our loved ones taken care of . . . not because we want to buy that Ferrari or 10,000 square foot beach front mansion. Most of us couldn't afford those in the best of times. George RR Martin limited edition books though . . . we might be able to save the scratch to swing that. :)

Now back to the original topic.

Things seemed to have quieted down a little on the Ebay front. I would love to have a screen accurate Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader but that would run around 10 to 15k. If it comes down to it and I can find someone to do one for me, I might finance it with my lettered set . . .

I love the books but this is a movie accurate 7 feet 1 inch Vader with working lightsabre and chest plate here . . .

Just thinking out loud. :)

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and $6500 for med school is not a Canadian thing. In fact, as of 14 years ago, that was the avg tuition for any university program. I have heard for years that universities in NFLD are much more affordable and just as respectable as any other in Canada. Good for you Happy!!!

Hey, it's marked down from $9500! What a deal.

This sort of thing isn't unusual; you ask for a ton of money and hope somebody bites. If nobody does you can always sell it for less money later. And, hey, if somebody buys it you make out like a bandit. Remember, all it takes is one!

Archived