Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

@BoldAsYouPlease, oh please, dont bandy words with me, it was a play on words.

Asking you not to throw around words like "criminal" when what you really mean is "I wouldn't pay that much" is not bandying words with you - it's asking you to respect the meaning of the word "criminal", which has a very specific definition with serious implications.

I thought I did so in a courteous manner and I'm sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way, but the point stands.

Actually I have spoken to the guy over email a few times and Wolf brother is right, he was a complete a**hole. I sent him copies of the links to previously sold sets, etc, and he responded by saying he had the only matching set for sell in the world. (wrong) The lowest he would sell is for $9,000. I also asked him if the payments could be split up over two months, if someone decided to buy the set(since he is asking so much)and he was very rude to me. I hope he never sells it...lol..

I think what is bothersome, is that there are TRUE fans of the series that would love to own a complete, matching set. The guy is being unreasonable, by marking it up to such a ridiculous price. I am glad no one has bought it from him.

That being said, he has the right to sell it at the price he wants, but that doesn't mean we have to like it...

Hey althanis,

Based on your reasoning, would you have no comment if he listed it for 9 million? How about 9 billion?

There is a THRESHOLD for being reasonable or unreasonable as defined by the average, thoughtful, rational human being who happens to be a knowledgeable fan of these books backed up by data and objective evidence over the past decade plus of sales both on Ebay, Abebooks, forum sales, etc.

We have EVERY right to comment on his assinine prices and if he reacted negatively to our attempts to educate him then yes, he is being ignorant.

At this point, the only chance he has of selling it is if he happens to meet someone with more money than sense and in my opinion that is just as sad as seeing an innocent mark being swindled.

He can list it for whatever he wants but don't expect me to celebrate it and I sure as hell am going to comment on it to hopefully educate as many people as possible so they won't buy it!

A matching numbered set can be had for 5-6k.

A matching lettered has no value, it is too rare an event to see one for sale to even assign. But last two matching lettered sent for 10k and 15k respectively.

Those are the facts. Good luck to those both buying and selling.

Asking you not to throw around words like "criminal" when what you really mean is "I wouldn't pay that much" is not bandying words with you - it's asking you to respect the meaning of the word "criminal", which has a very specific definition with serious implications.

I thought I did so in a courteous manner and I'm sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way, but the point stands.

BoldAsYouPlease, if English is not your first language, then please accept my apologies. Otherwise please read:

crim·i·nal (kribreve.gifmprime.gifschwa.gif-nschwa.gifl)

adj.

1. Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.

2. Relating to the administration of penal law.

a. Guilty of crime.

b. Characteristic of a criminal.

4. Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.

n.

One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime.

May I ask whether you actually know what "criminial" means? It does have a specific definition, in fact many of them and you have proven yourself ignorant of at least one of them . . . definition #4 to be precise.

While you're at it, might I suggest you also check up the definition of:

1. metaphor

2. idiom

3. slang

4. sarcasm

These words will help greatly in communicating with normal human beings in English on message boards and forums.

In point of fact, Wolfbrother's characterization of you "bandying" words is absolutely accurate.

If you doubt me, check up the phrase "bandy words" and see the definition. It describes exactly what you are doing actually.

BoldAsYouPlease, if English is not your first language, then please accept my apologies. Otherwise please read:

crim·i·nal (kribreve.gifmprime.gifschwa.gif-nschwa.gifl)

adj.

1. Of, involving, or having the nature of crime: criminal abuse.

2. Relating to the administration of penal law.

a. Guilty of crime.

b. Characteristic of a criminal.

4. Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent.

n.

One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime.

May I ask whether you actually know what "criminial" means? It does have a specific definition, in fact many of them and you have proven yourself ignorant of at least one of them . . . definition #4 to be precise.

While you're at it, might I suggest you also check up the definition of:

1. metaphor

2. idiom

3. slang

4. sarcasm

These words will help greatly in communicating with normal human beings in English on message boards and forums.

In point of fact, Wolfbrother's characterization of you "bandying" words is absolutely accurate.

If you doubt me, check up the phrase "bandy words" and see the definition. It describes exactly what you are doing actually.

Thanks for your reply. English is indeed my first language and I'm perfectly aware of both the use and misuse of the words you mention. I'll avoid taking the tone you've taken in a sincere attempt to maintain civility.

None of the definitions of "criminal" that your dictionary provided are applicable. There is nothing shameful or disgraceful in a seller asking for whatever price he/she thinks best. The market will decide if the asking price is too much, not attempts to shame the seller.

We're in a forum discussing the sale and purchase of very expensive books. The possibility of real and serious crimes - fraud or theft, for instance - exists in such sales. The possibility of genuinely shameful or disgraceful behavior (such as the misrepresentation of the condition of a book) also exists. The value of the forum is decreased when accusations of criminality are irresponsibly tossed around. This kind of excess inevitably turns useful forums into pointless flame pits filled with school-yard metaphors, slang and sarcasm.

Getting the thread back on topic from linguistic intracacies . . .

I am putting my matched set up on Ebay this Sunday with the auction starting at 8:00 pm eastern time. It will have a "Buy It Now" of $5500. The auction is for:

Meisha Merlin AGoT #261

Meisha Merlin ACoK #261

Sub Press ASoS #261

Sub Press AFfC #261

Included in the auction is the right to purchase A Dance with Dragons #261 which I have had on pre-order since the first day it was made available. Payment of the list price of $275 plus shipping (~$15) will be made when I receive the book from Sub Press. This is over and above the final auction price. I guess you could consider a deferred payment, if you will. The day I receive Dance, Subterranean Press will be notified to transfer all future rights for #261 series to the winner of the auction. I do not like the idea of auctioning off a book which I do not have in my possession, so I have decided to do it this way. E-mails and all auction materials between the purchaser and myself will clearly state that I, or a representatives of my estate, am legally bound to transfer these rights to you as well as offer the book A Dance with Dragons once the book has been received from Sub Press. You will also receive a forward of any information I receive through e-mail from Sub Press.

Well, I don't know if that is good or bad. I kept doing title searches for Game of Thrones and neglected to search for Song of Ice and Fire. If I had known, I would have pulled my listing (I scheduled it on Friday the 27th and set it to start an hour before the HBO series. Either I am going to see what I can expect for last-second bids or that I'll be missing of a top bidder. Hopefully it will work out for both of us.

Martin just blogged about both the sets up for sale. Congrats, that should really add some interest.

FYI, the other set up is without future rights. Genius for someone with a preordered Dance, but none of the other books. Still, this puts the value way down, compared to Fleche's set. So no worries if the first set goes cheap, I don't think yours will :)

Well, it's with a note from SbPress, saying that they can match it with anyone having a preorder for Dance. There were quite a few copies of dance that was put for sale for the general public. If one of them won this auction, they will have secured a matching set for under 4k. Thats a steal, as the marked is right now.

I was way more shocked about this one (although the same logic applies here) http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649 Without the valuable Meisha Merlins. Insane.

Edit: Darth Revan: did you read the update? "I have not reserved A Dance with Dragons. The main reason I am selling this set is that I can no longer continue the collection."

I hate to talk about this before I have the books in my hands, but I was the winning bidder of the #136 numbered set earlier today. And yes, I had ordered one of the unreserved copies of Dance, so this will give me a full matching numbered set, which is why I did it.

This means in a month or two I'll be selling my mismatched numbered set to help pay for this new set. I'll be selling a set of #184 (first three books), and probably sell separately #400-something of books 4-5 with future rights (I'll wait until I have #5).

I was tempted by Fleche's set before I was sure I could get #136 on my outstanding order for an unreserved Dance, but the first auction made more sense for my situation. Even though I really want the FFC chapbook (I have the bookmarks). If anyone has the FFC chapbook they'd be willing to sell for good money, PM me.

Corey

Archived