How long could Cersei realistically hold King's Landing and Casterly Rock?

In the full descriptions of the major castles of westeros, its noted that Casterly Rock is actually a fortress built into a mountain. Visenya Targaryen even remarks that its was a good thing the old king of the rock came out to face Aegon on the feild of fire, rather than hiding in the mountain, even dragons cant melt a whole mountain.

This is all book based, but maybe Cersei realizes she cant hold KL versus daragons, so she decides to burn it and retreat to the rock. This is also much closer to Euron and Iron fleet. This would be her best defensive plan. Jaime will probably kill her before she can act, however.

Cersei is one of the characters I like most. She is such a treacherous person, isn't she ?. In a fit of rage she burnt the sept of Baelor to the ground. It allowed her to get rid of her enemies but she can no longer count on anyone. The people despise her, and Dany is well equipped. It means that Cersei will be queen for a brief period of time. I think she will be killed by Jaime. It would be wonderful if it was similar to the way he killed the Mad King. 

On 7/8/2016 at 3:36 AM, Cragen said:

I think Cersie will send Lannister army north, she wants Sansa head on pike. She would form some kind of alliance with Euron. We have only 13 episodes left so I think southern war will be over by end of season.

Depends on what Cersei finds out about first.

If Cersei learns Daenerys is arriving before she finds out about goings on up North, she'll go for Daenerys to protect her hold on the Iron Throne.

On the other hand, if Cersei finds out about the North before she finds out about Daenerys, then she'll probably go for Sansa's head.

If she finds out about them both at more or less the same time ... it's hard to say whether she'd want to go for Daenerys or the North first. Probably Daenerys, on the grounds that she's a much more immediate threat.

34 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

Depends on what Cersei finds out about first.

If Cersei learns Daenerys is arriving before she finds out about goings on up North, she'll go for Daenerys to protect her hold on the Iron Throne.

On the other hand, if Cersei finds out about the North before she finds out about Daenerys, then she'll probably go for Sansa's head.

If she finds out about them both at more or less the same time ... it's hard to say whether she'd want to go for Daenerys or the North first. Probably Daenerys, on the grounds that she's a much more immediate threat.

I assume that KitN has happened before Dany can come to Westeros.

19 minutes ago, Cragen said:

I assume that KitN has happened before Dany can come to Westeros.

Sure, it's happened. But who knows when word of events in the North gets to the south, much less to Cersei?

Remember, she only found out about Sansa being married to Ramsay because Littlefinger went and told her about it. And that was before winter, and the North/Boltons had been nominally in allegiance to the Crown. Now? It's Winter, and again, the only person who might be sending word to Cersei is Littlefinger himself.

And, the Citadel - center of learning and knowledge - didn't know that Jeor Mormont had died nor that he had been replaced by Jon. Nor did they know that Maester Aemon was dead and the Night's Watch needed a new Maester.

News travels ... erratically ... in Westeros.

I heard speculation that Casterly Rock is one of the places that we will see next year.  Daario was right that Dany should cut off Cersei from retreating to Casterly Rock.  Rather than attacking King's Landing straight out, Dany should take Casterly Rock first and surround King's Landing from three sides while the Iron Fleet blockades from the sea.  

That of course means making an alliance with the North (which we think is coming).  I would actually lure the Lannister army to the North and stop them at Moat Caitlin. 

7 hours ago, Kytheros said:

Sure, it's happened. But who knows when word of events in the North gets to the south, much less to Cersei?

Remember, she only found out about Sansa being married to Ramsay because Littlefinger went and told her about it. And that was before winter, and the North/Boltons had been nominally in allegiance to the Crown. Now? It's Winter, and again, the only person who might be sending word to Cersei is Littlefinger himself.

And, the Citadel - center of learning and knowledge - didn't know that Jeor Mormont had died nor that he had been replaced by Jon. Nor did they know that Maester Aemon was dead and the Night's Watch needed a new Maester.

News travels ... erratically ... in Westeros.

Remember.  We do not actually know the timing of these things and how they all fit.

And the idea that news is not instantaneous is interesting.  I cannot wait until the events up North reach the rest of Westros.  How does Sam react to what happened at the Wall for instance?

6 hours ago, illinifan said:

Remember.  We do not actually know the timing of these things and how they all fit.

And the idea that news is not instantaneous is interesting.  I cannot wait until the events up North reach the rest of Westros.  How does Sam react to what happened at the Wall for instance?

Combine some degree of timing uncertainty with the erratic travel of news, plus the show's recent wild disregard for travel time, and Dany very well could end up in Westeros before Cersei gets informed of events up North.

I'm not saying that Dany definitely ends up in Westeros and news of her arrival spreads first, but I'm saying that such a possibility cannot be ruled out at this point in time.

8 hours ago, Kytheros said:

Combine some degree of timing uncertainty with the erratic travel of news, plus the show's recent wild disregard for travel time, and Dany very well could end up in Westeros before Cersei gets informed of events up North.

I'm not saying that Dany definitely ends up in Westeros and news of her arrival spreads first, but I'm saying that such a possibility cannot be ruled out at this point in time.

I doubt it because it would make no sense in terms of storytelling.

11 hours ago, Kytheros said:

It's a moot point anyway. Cersei simply doesn't have the manpower to go after Sansa. Jaime has her only armed forces, to send him north would leave King's Landing, Casterly Rock and herself defenseless. Especially now with winter having arrived, sending Jaime north would be suicidal. Even if she knows nothing of Dany, she knows she has enemies in Dorne and the Tyrelles, she needs Jaime close at hand. As long as Sansa stays in the North, Cersei can't touch her unless she comes up with some sort of assassination type strike.

she shouldnt have been crowned at all at least not without  a civil war in her hands. The people in kings landing were with the high sparrow, the only people she had behind her were the king's guards and whatever lannister troops were there

On July 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Lorenzo98 said:

Cersei is one of the characters I like most. She is such a treacherous person, isn't she ?. In a fit of rage she burnt the sept of Baelor to the ground. It allowed her to get rid of her enemies but she can no longer count on anyone. The people despise her, and Dany is well equipped. It means that Cersei will be queen for a brief period of time. I think she will be killed by Jaime. It would be wonderful if it was similar to the way he killed the Mad King. 

Tywin Lannister to Cersei:

“I don't distrust you because you're a woman; I distrust you because you're not as smart as you think you are.”

I can’t ever like someone who thinks they’re smart but isn’t smart enough to know they aren’t that smart after all.

26 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

And eat what exactly? The Queen of Thorns will be sending no more food to King’s Landing. It’s hard to overstate how important this is.

In season 2 I believe Littlefinger said that the granary in kings landing was sufficient for a winter and when question about a long winter he said he will have a few less peasants 

the way I see it, the winter will affect everyone. The land that Lannisters control was not affect by war much, besides a few seige a that Robb did, most of the war was around the Tully land

Not to mention, Lannister are still the richest family and she can easily trade with other free cities like Bravos. I'm not saying she will be a good ruler but I do think she will be able to hold it with an iron fist. 

32 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Not to mention, Lannister are still the richest family and she can easily trade with other free cities like Bravos. I'm not saying she will be a good ruler but I do think she will be able to hold it with an iron fist. 

The Crown stopped repaying their debt to the Iron Bank of Braavos.

The show is getting more and more expensive. Especially with the actors pay increasing. Next season will feature a lot of CGI. Ships, dragons, citadel, white walkers. Maybe even a Wolfpack. So something will have to give. The thing to give is to knock off some of the main players. Cersei & Jamie are both two of the highest paid actors on the show and neither are probably important to the endgame. They get paid on a per episode basis. So I'm guessing Cersei's reign May last all of 4 episodes if that many. If we truly only have 7 then 6 episodes left, it's definitely time to off Cersei and turn our attention towards the final battle and the Jon/Dany alliance. 

Judging from the Aeron Greyjoy chapter Martin released, Euron is a complete psycho.  Could he propose an alliance with Cersei only to betray her to Dany in the end. It makes sense from a strategic standpoint. Could Euron be her Valonquar?

On 7/10/2016 at 3:52 PM, xjlxking said:

In season 2 I believe Littlefinger said that the granary in kings landing was sufficient for a winter and when question about a long winter he said he will have a few less peasants 

the way I see it, the winter will affect everyone. The land that Lannisters control was not affect by war much, besides a few seige a that Robb did, most of the war was around the Tully land

Although I love ASOIAF, and I believe GRRM is a creative genius, I don't believe some of his ideas are practical, unless certain laws of nature are very different in Westeros than they are in what we call "the real world."

The granary thing is one of them.  Uhhhhh...wouldn't that food GO BAD after a couple of years, or less???  I've always thought it was wildly unrealistic to claim that the people of Westeros could stockpile enough food for millions (yes, millions) of people to survive winters that can last for, what, 6 years? 7? 8?  The food would be rotting and going bad, wouldn't it?  What are certain animals doing, hibernating for years?  And note that this is in a very technologically primitive "time and place" setting.  It's not like they have enormous freezers.

I guess some people would survive, mostly along the coasts (like Eskimos survive in very cold climates, fishing, I suppose) but the small folk, in the middle of the continent???  Some peasant family in the middle of the Riverlands?  I think winters that last 6-8 years in Westeros would be "extinction events" for about 80 percent of the population, and THEN there's not even time to build up the population before winter hits again, cuz less than ONE generation later (actually, only about 3 to 8 years or so, I believe), here comes the long winter AGAIN!!!!

I honestly don't see how the population of Westeros could ever have reached into the  millions in the first place under such conditions.

5 hours ago, Cron said:

Although I love ASOIAF, and I believe GRRM is a creative genius, I don't believe some of his ideas are practical, unless certain laws of nature are very different in Westeros than they are in what we call "the real world."

The granary thing is one of them.  Uhhhhh...wouldn't that food GO BAD after a couple of years, or less???  I've always thought it was wildly unrealistic to claim that the people of Westeros could stockpile enough food for millions (yes, millions) of people to survive winters that can last for, what, 6 years? 7? 8?  The food would be rotting and going bad, wouldn't it?  What are certain animals doing, hibernating for years?  And note that this is in a very technologically primitive "time and place" setting.  It's not like they have enormous freezers.

I guess some people would survive, mostly along the coasts (like Eskimos survive in very cold climates, fishing, I suppose) but the small folk, in the middle of the continent???  Some peasant family in the middle of the Riverlands?  I think winters that last 6-8 years in Westeros would be "extinction events" for about 80 percent of the population, and THEN there's not even time to build up the population before winter hits again, cuz less than ONE generation later (actually, only about 3 to 8 years or so, I believe), here comes the long winter AGAIN!!!!

I honestly don't see how the population of Westeros could ever have reached into the  millions in the first place under such conditions.

Yeah, without a doubt. I like the idea behind a long winter and all, but if you think too much on it, you start to realize that it's not really possible 

As far as the reserves are concerned, i imagine it's things that can be preserved for a long time. Wheat can be preserved for a few dozen years. Other possible food would be things like chickens or other live stock but even than the sheer number of people to feed is really hard to imagine 

Archived