Mad Max Fury Road in Black and White

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Don't see a reason for this though maybe I have to see it first to understand why. This movie and it's colors were gorgeous. I don't see how a black-and-white version of the tornado sandstorm can possibly compare to the original.

I would like to see it, as I'm a huge fan of this movie, but I suspect you are right. The color in this flick was fantastic. Also I can't see buying a really expensive box set of the series to get it as The Road Warrior is really the only other movie in the series that I really like.

Odd. I definitely have already seen this and through an officially sanctioned way, though I can't remember the specific details. It might've been a time-limited thing on youtube or something? It was only a few weeks after the movie came out in theaters.

Anyway, it looked fine but didn't add much to the overall experience for me. Some of the scenes did look better this way, more elemental and primitive (especially some of the quiet shots, likeMax and Furosia in the truck), but others were diminished by the lack of vibrancy.

35 minutes ago, Fez said:

Odd. I definitely have already seen this and through an officially sanctioned way, though I can't remember the specific details. It might've been a time-limited thing on youtube or something? It was only a few weeks after the movie came out in theaters.

Anyway, it looked fine but didn't add much to the overall experience for me. Some of the scenes did look better this way, more elemental and primitive (especially some of the quiet shots, likeMax and Furosia in the truck), but others were diminished by the lack of vibrancy.

Interesting. What was the Bullet Farmer scene like in black and white (the one where the atmosphere is blue and the truck is stuck in the mud)? I feel like  a black and white version of that scene would be lesser overall especially after being immersed in scenes filled with bright reds and oranges before that.

On 7/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, WarGalley said:

Don't see a reason for this though maybe I have to see it first to understand why. This movie and it's colors were gorgeous. I don't see how a black-and-white version of the tornado sandstorm can possibly compare to the original.

Probably not, but other scenes might be better instead.  Well, I know what I'm buying as soon as I can.  

I remember getting all pumped to see Frank Darabont's Mist in b&w and then not being overly impressed by it. I'm definitely interested to see such a great film in a new way, but what really has me excited is that this is part of a box set and we'll finally get some commentaries from Miller.

19 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Interesting. What was the Bullet Farmer scene like in black and white (the one where the atmosphere is blue and the truck is stuck in the mud)? I feel like  a black and white version of that scene would be lesser overall especially after being immersed in scenes filled with bright reds and oranges before that.

Yeah, as I recall, it and a lot of the action scenes did not seem as good. The color really added to those moments. And since most of the movie is action, the whole thing didn't do much for me. 

Although, as I mentioned, I thought the quieter moments were often improved. The black and white really showcased how desolate that world is; its just that during the action that's not what the focus is on.

Maybe they've done something different for this release, but whatever it was last year had all the dialogue and had been scored.

The more I think about it, I think it was an embedded video in an article about it in the AV Club or Slashfilm or one of those sights.

Why are they doing this, money of course! Same reason all of the other directors cuts, extended version, un edited versions etc come out of this and other movies.

I will say that a scene or two in black and white can have a dramatic impact, not sure on a whole movie though.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Maybe they've done something different for this release, but whatever it was last year had all the dialogue and had been scored.

The more I think about it, I think it was an embedded video in an article about it in the AV Club or Slashfilm or one of those sights.

Seems weird they'd put the whole thing up. I do agree I've at least seen footage of the film in black and white online.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I thought the deal was that it was also meant to be silent or more accurately without dialogue too?

Fury Road had dialogue?!!?  :lol: 

• 2 months later...

Archived