Foreshadowing in Feast for Crows Appendix

Interesting that in Feast for Crows instead of The Boy King or the King on the Iron Throne its listed as follows.

The Queen Regent
CERSEI LANNISTER, the First of Her Name, widow of {King Robert I Baratheon}, Queen Dowager, Protector of the Realm, Lady of Casterly Rock, and Queen Regent

I always thought it odd, now it makes sense.

How so?

In the books Cersei is the Queen Regent, she has power until Joffrey and later Tommen come of age, but due to the events at the end of AFFC she is removed from power and Kevan becames Regent in her stead. In the TV show they never really discuss the "regent" aspect of things. Joffrey was old enough to rule in his own stead and with Tommen it never seems to have come up.

It's the 'First of Her Name' part that makes it strange. I too had noticed it in AFFC, and thought it strange or Cersei being arrogant. The regents shouldn't get to fashion themselves 'Nth of their name', only the rightful king/queen.

5 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

It's the 'First of Her Name' part that makes it strange. I too had noticed it in AFFC, and thought it strange or Cersei being arrogant. The regents shouldn't get to fashion themselves 'Nth of their name', only the rightful king/queen.

Exactly right. Only a ruling monarch gets that, which until Qyburn crowned her, she never was.

Great topic.  have you considered because all the children and "legitimate" heirs are dead (they WERE illegitimate bastards of incest but for the sake of argument) then it's a special title which warrants that?  She's standing alone.  I wonder what happens when there is NO heir. 

King dies, younger sibling takes over.  No younger sibling, how about older one?  Then, cousin?  Or uncle?I'm not sure but there was not a lot to work with.  JAIME may have been a possibility even if he were not King's Guard, and of course Tyrion but who would want that?

It may have fallen to her legitimately FOR THE TIME BEING.  I then wonder, what needs to happen to get her out of there?  WHO has to produce an offspring to assume the throne?  Jamie or Cersei?  Tyrion?  It's weird.  Kevan Lannister is so far removed - he is Cersei and Jaime's uncle.  I don't think that would count for legitimacy. 

On the Baratheon side, Stannis and Renly are dead.  Stannis had only Shereen who is dead and Renly had only many mud babies.  We never hear much about the Baratheons or Storm's End or what is up with that family..... and they are an ANCIENT house.

Archived