Major Houses Dying out...

So next season all missing characters need to be resolved so that houses may be resolved to sort out   alliances. FIRST QUESTION, with the proximity of Storm's End to King's Landing and Dragonstone, who is currently the Lord of Storm's End and who's side are they on??? SECOND QUESTION Are the SandSnakes really in control of Dorne? These are variances from the book that the show needs to resolve so we can figure out whats what. Does anyone else feel like Gendry may reappear and that his mom might be someone more important than just a bar whore?

6 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I always thought it absurd that all these ancient houses that have supposedly been around for hundreds if not thousands of years only have one branch somehow.

Yet if you watch any of their social gatherings, it's a wonder they have any branches left at all.

The issue with the family branches goes back to the books. I mean, what sense did it make to send off the second sons to basically exile just because they are second sons? Why would Benjen take the black, especially since Ned was only male Stark left after the war? The books set the system up for this so this is what we get. You would think that at some point a Stark would have established another house under fealty to The Starks, and had Starks of their own.

6 hours ago, Tyrionthedragonrider said:

Does anyone else feel like Gendry may reappear and that his mom might be someone more important than just a bar whore?

Gendry's reappearance is quite possible. GRRM has already said he'll be back in the books. In the show there's a possibility he's been written out, but to many that would create too much of a question mark when he was a major character in S2-3. Arya's arc is still ongoing in the Riverlands and bringing Gendry back in would be plausible. 

As to his mom.... I have seen theories that suggest she might be more. Some people have argued she is Cersei (Cersei's firstborn boy in the show is presumably not dead but really Gendry etc etc). I think it is plausible that Varys might have looked after Gendry in secret and not let him fall through the cracks because his mother was highborn in some way -- after all Varys did let the Goldcloaks kill several of Robert's bastards, so why was Gendry different. But it helps his arc as a bastard and a representative of the "lowborns" that his mother was baseborn. If he turns out to be highborn on both sides, I think it would be less helpful to the overall themes of the book/show regarding social equality and bastardry.

On 2016. 7. 3. at 4:00 AM, MoonKnight21 said:

Does anyone else see the story move to desolution of the feudal system and instillation of a more democratic society?

Not quite. The great houses are being wiped out, but they will likely be replaced by slightly lower level houses (ex the Tarlys have been bruited about as replacement for the Tyrells). And despite Dany's rhetoric about breaking the wheel, we haven't seen what she wants to replace the feudal system. Perhaps the ending will be something like a semi constitutional monarchy with Dany as queen, but Dany would have to give up some of her own powers. 

12 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Stannis knows too. 

If we can get Gendry to Stannis at Winterfell post-Shireen's burning he can be legitimized in the books especially since Edric wouldn't be within reach of Stannis. 

It helps that Gendry is more like him than Robert and he's also a follower of the red religion.

Gendry is Stannis' spiritual son.

This is provided that Stannis lives throught the Great Blizzard of 300. Which is certainly in doubt.

12 hours ago, Tchzaelous said:

Varys knows, so no issue there.

All Hail King Gendry, First of His Name, Rower of the Rhyonar, Sailer of the Seven Seas of Westeros, and the man who never skipped Arm Day.

Varys has other motives, unlikely he would tell anyone.

8 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

This is provided that Stannis lives throught the Great Blizzard of 300. Which is certainly in doubt.

Varys has other motives, unlikely he would tell anyone.

He's helping Dany take over Westeros. Since this is the show forum I doubt anything about the Blackfyre connection here, as anything relating to that seems to have been axed without the Griffs present.

The smartest move you could make is to install your own loyal Lords to take up the abandoned castles. Gendry is a known bastard of Robert's by someone on her small council.

26 minutes ago, Tchzaelous said:

He's helping Dany take over Westeros. Since this is the show forum I doubt anything about the Blackfyre connection here, as anything relating to that seems to have been axed without the Griffs present.

The smartest move you could make is to install your own loyal Lords to take up the abandoned castles. Gendry is a known bastard of Robert's by someone on her small council.

I still don't think Gendry will be legitimized. The idea of an unknown bastard such as him being elevated all the way to Lord of a Great House doesn't seem right. And since its to the point where his current location is unknown even to us, then Varys might just assume he's dead.

During one of the season 3 scenes a girl calls Lady Olenna "Nana". (The girl is presenting her with some embroidery). I think the show  is presenting it as though it will be extinct, but even on the show there are other Tyrells.

I don´t think we can have any dimension of how much damage the WW+winter can cause, I think it´s quite possible almost everything dies before life wins, if it does, so I can see many of these houses and others being wiped out.

9 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Which is why this will probably be an ADOS event 

I always figured Stannis was going to do whatever he does, live or not, at Winterfell and Melisandre would burn Shireen independently. Possibly to resurrect Jon. Death paying for life and all. From her POV chapter she's already doubting Stannis and thinking Jon may be the one.

14 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I always figured Stannis was going to do whatever he does, live or not, at Winterfell and Melisandre would burn Shireen independently. Possibly to resurrect Jon. Death paying for life and all. From her POV chapter she's already doubting Stannis and thinking Jon may be the one.

Well no she hasn't actually started doubting Stannis is the one and that Jon may be it. 

Signs may be pointing at Jon now but she's ignoring them because she sees what she wants to see 

On 7/5/2016 at 3:16 AM, sj4iy said:

The Bolton line is also extinct, and I would imagine that the Arryn line is teetering on the brink of extinction with Robin being its only heir.  Right now it's essentially civil war all throughout Westeros.  Power voids will no doubt happen and be filled by those who are opportunistic and strong enough to do so.

That's supposing Robin is a true born heir and not a Littlefinger bastard.

On 7/8/2016 at 1:13 PM, dbunting said:

The issue with the family branches goes back to the books. I mean, what sense did it make to send off the second sons to basically exile just because they are second sons? Why would Benjen take the black, especially since Ned was only male Stark left after the war? The books set the system up for this so this is what we get. You would think that at some point a Stark would have established another house under fealty to The Starks, and had Starks of their own.

But this has always been a medieval problem, Either the oldest heir inherits everything (and you keep everything you earned for your family together) or you divvy it up between your progeny and they divvy it up between theirs, until you are all farmers 3-4 generations down the road.  The medieval lords married off younger sons to seal alliances, or sent them off to the Church to be priests.  Then somebody had the bright idea of the Crusades, which was essentially a way to send off second and thirds sons to win new territories for themselves...or die trying.  

On 7/8/2016 at 2:04 PM, rhoynestar said:

Not quite. The great houses are being wiped out, but they will likely be replaced by slightly lower level houses (ex the Tarlys have been bruited about as replacement for the Tyrells). And despite Dany's rhetoric about breaking the wheel, we haven't seen what she wants to replace the feudal system. Perhaps the ending will be something like a semi constitutional monarchy with Dany as queen, but Dany would have to give up some of her own powers. 

Please no Tarlys!!!  Or at least let it happen only after Randyll´s death...what a d$%&!!!

On 7/9/2016 at 8:32 PM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Well no she hasn't actually started doubting Stannis is the one and that Jon may be it. 

Signs may be pointing at Jon now but she's ignoring them because she sees what she wants to see 

I don´t think Shireen burns in the books, I don´t think Stannis would do it, besides the fact she is back in Winterfell, and there, I don´t think Jon will allow it.  Though the possibility exists of a Life for death type of thing while Jon is down and out, but why Shireen?  Why not somebody else?  I don´t think its going to happen.  Typical show fluff.

Archived