All it's needed to destroy the "R + L = J" theory is one word:

Khal Heldo

2 minutes ago, Neptunium said:

You're assuming that Ned was being truthful to Robert, and that Edric Dayne is a 100% reliable source on the subject.

And what are the reasons to both men blatantly lie about the same subject?

Who said anything about lying.

If you remember, Robert was really cheery about Targearyen toddlers being brutally murdered by Gregor. What do you think he´d done to Jon he believed to be a result of Rheagar rape?

Edric is 4 years younger then Jon. Jon was brought to Winterfell before his second nameday. Edric therefore wasnt even born when Jon was already in Winterfell. As for why did House Dayne told him that? Well, Arthur Dayne was in Tower of Joy because Rheagar was his friend. After all, his righful place should have been in Kings Landing together with Gerold. He was there to protect Rheagar paramount, Lysanna, and their child. Eddard went from tower of Joy straight to Starfall to return sword Dawn back where it belonged. Small child would require a wet nurse and if Eddard and Howland Reed told Ashara Dayne about Jon true origin, House Dayne would be honor bound to protect such secret by also providing artificial mother to Jon so Robert would not suspect anything.

Just now, Khal Heldo said:

And what are the reasons to both men blatantly lie about the same subject?

I don't think Edric Dayne's lying, but I see no reason why he would know. When the Tower of Joy was going down, Edric Dayne wasn't there, and he was an infant. I don't see any reason why he'd be a reliable source.

Ned lying about Jon's parentage is the foundation behind R+L=J (or at least I'm not aware of any variation of the theory where R+J is true, but Ned genuinely believes that Jon's his own son).

4 minutes ago, Neptunium said:

Ned genuinely believes that Jon's his own son

Not in one chapter does he tell that to himself. Only time he discussed his parentage with Cat was when he said "Jon is of my blood and that is all you need to know".

18 minutes ago, nikopol said:

Not in one chapter does he tell that to himself. Only time he discussed his parentage with Cat was when he said "Jon is of my blood and that is all you need to know".

Read the full sentence :-D

"...or at least I'm not aware of any variation of the theory where R+J is true, but Ned genuinely believes that Jon's his own son"

It was my bad attempt at a joke haha

10 minutes ago, Neptunium said:

I don't think Edric Dayne's lying, but I see no reason why he would know. When the Tower of Joy was going down, Edric Dayne wasn't there, and he was an infant. I don't see any reason why he'd be a reliable source.

Because he was raised by Wylla?

13 minutes ago, nikopol said:

Who said anything about lying.

If you remember, Robert was really cheery about Targearyen toddlers being brutally murdered by Gregor. What do you think he´d done to Jon he believed to be a result of Rheagar rape?

Edric is 4 years younger then Jon. Jon was brought to Winterfell before his second nameday. Edric therefore wasnt even born when Jon was already in Winterfell. As for why did House Dayne told him that? Well, Arthur Dayne was in Tower of Joy because Rheagar was his friend. After all, his righful place should have been in Kings Landing together with Gerold. He was there to protect Rheagar paramount, Lysanna, and their child. Eddard went from tower of Joy straight to Starfall to return sword Dawn back where it belonged. Small child would require a wet nurse and if Eddard and Howland Reed told Ashara Dayne about Jon true origin, House Dayne would be honor bound to protect such secret by also providing artificial mother to Jon so Robert would not suspect anything.

The headcanon of R+L=J believers scares me sometimes.

Archived