You're a Hedge Knight in the Vale

James Steller

Imagine you're a 23 year old man of common background in the Vale. After serving for several years as a sellsword, you were knighted by Lord Jal Wydman so that you could participate in a local tourney. Since then, you have been hired by various lords as a guide through the mountain passes, as you know the safest routes and are very capable of fighting against the mountain clans.

Now, however, you hear that Jon Arryn is mustering an army of Valemen to join the Westerosi force on their way to the Stepstones against the Ninepenny Kings, as per King Jahaerys' orders. You know that there is a great deal of glory to be had in the Stepstones, which a knight like yourself would be eager to earn, but you also risk your life chasing such glory. Not only that, a few opportunities have sprung up in the Vale around the same time.

Ser Lyle Moore, the young heir to House Moore, has impregnated a peasant girl and seeks a way to avoid any kind of scandal which would affect his engagement to the beautiful daughter of Lord Egen. Because you and he know each other from your years as a common sellsword, Ser Lyle offers to pay you to marry the girl, keep her safe, and look the other way when Ser Lyle comes to spend time with his mistress and their growing child. You will be rewarded by becoming a landed knight, and you will be free to have affairs of your own. However, you will run the great risk of mockery as the cuckolded husband of a low-born woman who barely bothers to hide her affair with Ser Lyle, and if there is a child, you will be responsible for raising them.

Meanwhile, a wealthy merchant in Gulltown named Haesten Croucher is going to travel eastwards to Braavos and Pentos on matters of business. He wants a capable bodyguard during his trip, which you know will be a well-paid but tedious task that will last several months. While you know that you will be well-fed and looked after during this considerable amount of time, and you will have a small fortune by its end, you also know that there is no glory or reputation to be earned with this kind of work.

Finally, Lord Jal Wydman's sisters were recently abducted by mountain clansmen, and he is calling for help to find the missing women. You are familiar with the mountain clans, and you know that fighting them on their home ground is a dangerous venture, but you owe your knighthood to this man, and he is now in need of help.

What do you decide to do?

I'd want to go to the Stepstones, but depending on how close I am with Lord Wydman, I could see going that route too. It really would depend on my relationship with Wydman. If I was just one of many sellswords that were knighted for the tourney to make it grander, probably Stepstones. If I was the only sellsword knighted for the tourney and it was for a better reason than "we have an odd number of Knights", I'd probably help Wydman. 

War of Ninepenny Kings can go on without me, it's far far away and I don't remember swearing fealty to either Arryns or Targs.

And Moore can find someone else to hide his affair. Just 'cause I know him doesn't mean I'd be ready to raise his kids as my own or serve the guy. Not to mention that he is going to continue affair with different marriage prospects, that doesn't elicit trust.

That would leave merchant as obvious choice. . BUT I owe Wydman for that one thing.

Since I 'know' the clans and mountains, I offer to track down the sisters and negotiate for ransom, but should he refuse and find men for this not to be hopeless, I'm ready to fight for him as well.

But if it doesn't seem to work, I'll keep an eye for merchants day of travel. .

Marry the girl. Being a landed knight is worth the risk of mockery for one generation. And the woman may not carry to term,  she may die in childbirth or the child might not live or it may be as simple as it is a girl. It is likely Ser Moore will grow tired of her once he is married and she is great with child. Subsequent children are likely to be my own. It's very possible my first biological son will be my heir and a Landed Knight. Regardless I have now an income and home and heart for my old age.

With what little power I have now from this new position (probably only a few retainers but better than as a Hedgeknight) and the goodwill of Ser Moore, I set forth to aid old Lord Wydman. There is likely a dearth of good knights with the war on the Stepstones, so I have a good chance of winning honor, fortune and the Lord's goodwill. I'm better fighting on terrain I know against savages than against the Golden Company far from home. 

Then years latter I send my sons to page and squire with Lord Moore and Lord Wyman. In the hopes my house can be advanced though service or marriage.

I go and help Lord Wydman. I owe the man a knighthood, and we can't have the clansmen rising up while the bulk of the Arryn forces are away. Besides, it's my specialty.

I mention the offer of the marriage to lord Wydman, and my intention to decline. If I'm subtle enough, I may be able to negotiate a marriage with one of the sisters, and a suitible advancement. (sworn sword, maybe even master at arms.)

I then decline the offer of marriage due to this new offer, and decline the offer to go travelling due to the need to spend time with my new wife

First, the King and the Arryns can go screw themselves. I have no oaths to them and I pay my taxes. Besides, whatever glory I can find over there will be most likely be taken from me by my betters, stealing the credit - but even if not,  since it is a foreign war there is likely that the Glory won´t be well known other than "He fought at Stepstones. And is still alive. He must be capable." But I am already knowm as such, since I am hired so often in my forte of expertise. 

Now, all the remaining three options have some clear advantages and - depending on the route I want to take in life, holds different value.

Help Lord Wyrdman gives me honor and pays my debt to him. This is the best choice if you want to feel and be seen as a moral person. Not only will it give me glory most likely equal to Stepstones if I succeed, if not more - at least in the Vale ("Brave Protagoras saves the buxom noble sisters from the terrors of the savage wild-men in the mountains, protecting them from a fate worse than death and is given a hero´s welcome when he returns to the grateful brother" - this is material for several young boys stories), it should give me a lot of appreciation in the Vale too, which might give me opportunities to lordships later maybe, or at least a guarantee that people will hire me for many, many years. . 

Sir Lyle offers by far the best economic rewards - a landed knighthood, yet the price is too high since your family and their improved status in society won´t really be your family but Sir Lyles, which you will act as caretaker of. Why raise your name above the smallfolk if those following your name later wont be of your blood? Still, the life of a landed knight will give me money, wealth and status. I can live in somewhat luxury and even have a couple of servants and sworn swords. This is more where I see myself in 20-30 years, than I want right at this moment as a youth of 23. Still, it is a chance of a lifetime maybe and might not come back.

Heastens offer does at first look poorly compared with the other two, but has two benefits. First, it gives me a certain income for no risk whatsoever and without the disrespect Sir Lyles affair would give me. But secondly and most important - I get to see the world! I can travel to Braavos and Pentos as essentially a well payed tourist. The drawback of course, is that it won´t open up more job opportunities for the future and, of course, that I need to be at Heastens side and ca´t enjoy the city myself - however, he will open places for me I can´t. Better theaters (Do anyone believe Raff would have been let in at the Gate, and in a box no less, without Ser Harys?), better brothels, better inns, better everything. Still, in theory I could make such a journey for myself later in life, but this could be a great time to see 2 of the free cities and sometimes, future plans of travel will never happen due to changes in life. It might be better to grab this opportunity when I have it. 

Personally, Lord Wyrdmans offer is the strongest. I owe this guy and want to return his good will in me and besides, those other options of landed knighthood and travel might come again. Returning the favor to Lord Wyrdman won´t. There is always the risk also that my lack of support to Lord Wyrdman will be painting me in a bad light if the story spreads. So Lord Wyrdman it is. 

Trying to find Wydman's sisters seems very unlikely to succeed, but he did knight me. I'm not interested in covering for a lord's infidelity, and fightig in the Stepstones doesn't feel like a nice cause of death.

I suppose it depends on my relationship to Lord Wydman. If it's good (like, we've kept in touch and he occasionally hires me), then I go help with his expedition. If he knighted me on a whim of drunkenness or carelessness, I'll be Mr. Croucher's bodyguard.

*As I am lowborn scum and not Loras fucking Tyrell I will have no of that noblesse oblige bullshit. So both our courageous falcon and my mentor can seek the men elsewhere.

But then again, being cuckold for hire presents other set of drawbacks, as my family won't be going anywhere, since all the children will be bastards, mine of Lyle's and even if he lets me have a go with his sweetheart and my dear wife children would suffer a stigma. Besides one it is one thing not to be mentioned with awe as great knight and hero and another to be mocked everywhere.

Bodyguard tour of Free Cities is a ideal cushy gig with no significant risks. It will further my association with merchants as I already was famous as a guide and it will provide me with connections on the other side of Narrow Sea, all of which can help me earn more serious money with trade endeavors of my own. And when one's pockets are lined with gold, piece of land and (noble) wife are few steps away irregardless of lack of songs celebrating my deeds.

Id help Lord Wydman, however Id first make sure to tell Lord Arryn personally why I had turned his offer down. Old Arryn is a man who believes honour. I am confident that once the mission conclude either Wydman or Arryn will provide me with a landed knight status

I'd take Sir Lyle's offer, it easily offers the best and most immediate benefits.  And the only drawbacks would be corrected once I had my land and titles, and my dearest met with an untimely demise.  Everyone knows the mountain trails are dangerous...Or maybe just a careless step on the stairs.  It's awful easy to choke on a piece of Pigeon Pie, the Seven know.

I would take Ser Lyle's offer immediately but leave for Lord Wydman's trip into the Mountains of the Moon. My lady would have to settle our estate without me but I will use her dowry to pay for fellow sellswords to guard her and if she falls into an endless sleep while in a bed of blood then the Mother have mercy. Mr. Croucher's offer would not work because the Nine Penny Kings are pirate kings and therefore our ship to Essos would be in danger and likely taken in the crossing. Pirates and slaver's and all of that. 

Archived