Semi Finals :Wales/Portugal, France/Germany, and Finals: France/Portugal

Wales/Portugal           Wed. July 6th

France/Germany        Thu.  July 7th

Finals                          Sun.  July 10th

There hasn't been a single time I have participated in these threads that a team I have been randomly assigned to hasn't made it to at least the Semi-Finals. I would have been willing to bet the farm when I drew Wales this would be the first time. This has been the most fun tournament for me by a long shot, and Wales now has a genuine fan for life. 

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

Living on the west coast of the US is usually pretty great in my opinion for the timing of broadcasted sports, but the semis of the Euro are brutal.  These semifinal matches happen right in the middle of my work day.  The only solace is that there are several places near my office that will be showing it, so I can at least catch a bit on lunch.  Still pretty brutal overall.

Vive La France!

Well, if those matches were any later, it would really suck for us over here.

I'm intrigued to see what happens. It's still kind of hard to believe that either Wales or Portugal will be in the finals.

Germany vs France will be a lot of fun as well, but France has to start defending better.

On ‎04‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 9:16 AM, Criston of House Shapper said:

Germany vs France will be a lot of fun as well, but France has to start defending better.

No, I'm perfectly fine with their defending at this point - Aufgeht's 'Schland!

I really hope Wales beats Portugal . Portugal hasnt won one match within 90 minutes and dosent deserve a final. 

France- Germany will be entertaining . Im calling penalties now. Though I am rooting for Germany it would of course be fun if France wins Euro as hosts. 

I'd be more concerned about the German defence without Hummels (and Khedira in midfield). The type of the goals France conceded against Iceland is not something they have to be too wary about when facing Germany, and even less so now that Gomez is out and it's possible that some complacency set in during that second half as well. Plus, this will be the most potent attack Germany have faced to date. It will be interesting to see how they cope with that.

I am somewhat horrified at the prospect of Portugal winning the Euros this year. They are as awful to watch as Greece were in '04. 

Anyway, I throw in my picks for the semi finals.

France - Germany: Germany looks too depleted with three key players (Hummels, Khedira, Gomez) out. Hummels would seem like the easiest to replace from those 3, while there's really no alternative for Gomez in that squad.  So I say France will go through.

Wales - Portugal: The match of the two Real stars. Bale has delivered at the Euros, while Ronaldo had been hugely disappointing (except for the Hungary game). But overall I rate his supporting cast higher than Bale's. So I say Portugal will make it to the Final. And if that tournament continues this way, Portugal will win the final after the penalty shoot out.

Germany's loss of players looks serious until you look at their bench and realize that they've got players in their mid-twenties who won the last World Cup in reserve. There are also some young guys whom I personally haven't heard much about, but given their company, there's a fair chance that one of them comes out and becomes the star of the match. I think the Germans can win without a pure forward if Muller et al start capitalizing on their chances.

I have no idea about Wales vs. Portugal. On paper, Portugal is the better team and some of their players have done quite well. Unfortunately, their strategy appears to revolve around setting up C. Ronaldo to score and the latter keeps botching nearly surefire opportunities. I'd favor Wales, but they lost some of their better players to yellow cards and I don't think they have Germany's depth.

I spent most of the Italy/Germany game chatting to one of my female friends in DMs on Twitter. I was actually half an hour behind in the game, and she's German, and she was mildly spoliering the match. Lord have mercy, it was dull, though, but that penalty shootout was alternately hilarious, surreal and intense.

Archived