Howdyphillip

Semi Finals :Wales/Portugal, France/Germany, and Finals: France/Portugal

170 posts in this topic

Well, Portugal making it as third placed team from the group stage is pretty much down to the new format. 

Anyway, the answer to the question whether Weigl or Can will fill in for Khedira on the German team has apparently been answered with Schweinsteiger.

The parallells between the godawful Greece of 2004 and the godawful Portugal of 2016 are frightening. Let us all hope the outcome this time favours football.

Looking forward to the game tonight.

I hope it'll be the best game so far. Both should feel their respective strengths are in creativity.

Can does get the start. Looks like he will be in the midfield as well with kimmich still at RB. Kante not starting for France doesn't make much sense to me :/ 

Edited by Mark Antony

It's Schweinsteiger and Can and no Götze for Germany! I don't know what to think, yet. I'm just glad that Draxler is playing.

France have been my pre tournament favorites, a sentiment they managed subvert slightly in the group stages. While Germany proved to be more solid, though uninspiring, than expected.

I defintely aprove of playing Kroos in a more forward position.

Edited by Lykoshi

I think it will be a draw and Germany will go out on penalties.

I'm afraid it will be a 5 - 0 rout by France as in the semifinal of the U 21 Euros (Por - Ger), where Can completely lost it and was deservedly voted the worst player on the pitch.

Oh and my feeble support goes to the team that features the last (afaIk) player of Albanian descent.

Go Mustafi!!!

Edited by Lykoshi

39 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Can does get the start. Looks like he will be in the midfield as well with kimmich still at RB. Kante not starting for France doesn't make much sense to me :/ 

It's a bit odd. I mean, Deschamps has apparently decided that only two of him, Matuidi and Pogba are going to play in the middle which is quite right imo, but since he seems to then be playing Sissoko on the right, surely he'd be better off playing Payet there and Matuidi on the left, a position he's played to great effect before?

I mean, it might just be a case of not wanting to unsettle Payet by shifting wings, even though he can play there, but Deschamps' love of Sissoko does baffle me.

10 minutes ago, Lykoshi said:

I think it will be a draw and Germany will go out on penalties.

I'm afraid it will be a 5 - 0 rout by France as in the semifinal of the U 21 Euros (Por - Ger), where Can completely lost it and was deservedly voted the worst player on the pitch.

Oh and my feeble support goes to the team that features the last (afaIk) player of Albanian descent.

Go Mustafi!!!

Yes, but here Can is not supposed to lead. In the Portugal match he was supposed to lead, and was trashed after the game by the media and some of his team mates (like Ginter) iirc.Playing him in midfield makes sense, since he just sucked as FB/WB, and Kimmich and Hector have played their parts rather convincingly. I am curious how the old man next to him will perform, and how long Schweinsteiger will be on the pitch.

Great start, fantastic atmosphere. :)

I think that Germanyso far is better and most likely to win.

France started well, but Germany laying the law down now.

Can see it swinging again later, but it might need a change. France look like they really need Kante after all, no control in midfield whatsoever. Pogba's done fuck all.

They've been all over France in midfield but so far they haven't really looked like scoring. That'd be the concern I suppose with the team they've gone for

If they hadn't stopped robbing Poland of all our players at just the wrong time they might have Lewandowski now.

Just now, polishgenius said:

If they hadn't stopped robbing Poland of all our players at just the wrong time they might have Lewandowski now.

i think klose would have scored by now. 

3 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

i think klose would have scored by now. 

He would have loved a couple of those Kimmich crosses.

That's two French free kicks and both have been on target. The difference between this match and the one last night so far has been immense.

Superb by Howedes.