The gap west of the wall. An easy point to cross south?

Hi all. I'm a big fan of the TV series and have just started on the books. I have a question based off the world map of the north/wall:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/iceandfire/images/3/37/Ice_and_Fire_World_Map.png/revision/latest?cb=20130127004523

Looking at the lovely maps of Westeros I notice that the wall doesn't entirely span the whole length of the north. It hits a river and stops while the river continues to the end of the coninent. I'm not an expert, but it strikes me that this is surely an easy weak point for wildlings to cross to the south? Or even a barrierless part that White walkers can cross? Or have I missed something? While I'm aware not everything is explained, has anybody got an answer or exlaination for how the Free Folk or White walkers are kept from swimming south here please? Thanks.

On that note can white walkers cross rivers and oceans?

1 minute ago, eldanielfire said:

Hi all. I'm a big fan of the TV series and have just started on the books. I have a question based off the world map of the north/wall:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/iceandfire/images/3/37/Ice_and_Fire_World_Map.png/revision/latest?cb=20130127004523

Looking at the lovely maps of Westeros I notice that the wall doesn't entirely span the whole length of the north. It hits a river and stops while the river continues to the end of the coninent. I'm not an expert, but it strikes me that this is surely an easy weak point for wildlings to cross to the south? Or even a barrierless part that White walkers can cross? Or have I missed something? While I'm aware not everything is explained, has anybody got an answer or exlaination for how the Free Folk or White walkers are kept from swimming south here please? Thanks.

On that note can white walkers cross rivers and oceans?

There's actually a mountain there, that's why the Night's Watch tower that stands there is called Shadow Tower, because it stands in the shadow of that mountain. I guess it's a pretty steep mountain that's impossible to climb. 

They don't go into water, maybe they could cross rivers and oceans if they had boats, but I don't think that's too relevant as the Wall will most probably fall and that's how they'll get south.

1 minute ago, Thia Stark said:

There's actually a mountain there, that's why the Night's Watch tower that stands there is called Shadow Tower, because it stands in the shadow of that mountain. I guess it's a pretty steep mountain that's impossible to climb. 

They don't go into water, maybe they could cross rivers and oceans if they had boats, but I don't think that's too relevant as the Wall will most probably fall and that's how they'll get south.

Thanks for the quick answer. Is the mountain north or south of the river? Or on both sides? (sorry, but I like to have complete mental images in my brain)

The river does go from north of the wall to the south to get to the ocean. Then can't Wildlings sail/row down it to travel south?

If I'm not mistaken, the river is at the bottom of a really deep gorge in that region. It has to be crossed via the Bridge of Skulls, so called because it's so hazardous there's bones littered throughout the Gorge beneath it. There was a battle at that bridge when wildlings tried to cross it in book three. Theoretically, they could follow the river all the way from where it's feasible down to the ocean. But the Gorge seems too deep to just cross without being a huge risk. It's probably easier to climb over the Wall than to climb down the wall of the Gorge, swim across, and climb back up.

ETA: My point is, they can and do try to cross the bridge, but it's hard.

You are correct that the wall does not span from edge to edge. I, and I am sure some other posters here, think that is how the momma direwolf made her way down from the north-north to just outside Winterfell in the very beginning of the series.

Archived