Musical theme during KL in 6x10

LatrineDiggerBrian

First off, I'm a massive fan of Ramin Djawadi. The show wouldn't be the same without his score, and it wouldn't pack near the same emotional punch that it does. Often times I listen to his GoT themes on my own time.

That said, I absolutely HATED his piano piece during the King's Landing stuff in the finale. It just felt so so wrong and stuck out like a sore thumb to me almost immediately. It wasn't in line with the rest of his Game of Thrones music and didn't do anything for me emotionally. I knew it right away and it annoyed the shit out of me for the entire sequence. It was so bad, I literally thought that HBO might have mistakenly aired an early cut of the episode that had sample music subbed in.

It's funny, it reminded me so much of a scene from True Detective S2. It was where Detective Ani Bezzirides goes undercover and infiltrates a whore house. Anyway, there was this classical music piece playing over the whole "harrowing" sequence, trying to mimic something from a Brian Depalma movie. However, like the KL scene, it was completely hollow and didn't work on so many levels. When I looked up who the director was for the episode, you guessed it, it was Miguel Sapochnik. 

So after the episode is finished, I read how Miguel Sapochnik was the one who initially suggested the piano to Ramin. Dude...you're a great a director, but composer you are not! Don't mess with a genius, just let this guy do his thing, don't try and make it like The Godfather or some other fucking classic movie you like. Let the guy make something original that someone will imitate some day.

Ugh...it's only appropriate that in this season where everything went wrong for me that even Ramin's score could get off track. The worst part about it is it seems like every fucking person besides me absolutely loved it! That means we'll probably be hearing the piano non stop next season, or whatever bizarre instrument some director recommends to Ramin. How about the Kazoo? Maybe we'll get a kick ass heavy metal sound track when Dany arrives to King's Landing on her dragons because that's how it went down in the director's favorite movie.

EXACTLY...

Halleluiah.. The music is usually very very good.

Sansa and Reek running, The music when they showed the Dothraki scene initially was so awesome. I got goosebumps...

Then they give us this shit music that sounded like a cat walking on a piano.. the key presses one by one was so irritating and high pitched..

Usually it is is a combination of many keys at a lower volume..

When Lancel crawled to the wildfire, the music was actually good. The horrible thing was that it was purely piano..

OP,

The internet is full of people claiming it was the best music in the show (WTF!!). I guess our opinions will just fade away..

God I cant bear to hear more of this piano crap next year :(

I think it was a beautiful piece, and even worked quite well within the scene itself. But it was completely unlike any other music in the show. For some people I think that made it stand out so they're calling it the best music in the show. But for others that difference is a little jarring. I'm torn myself because it was a nice piece but I don't know if it fit.

10 hours ago, robasp2 said:

EXACTLY...

Halleluiah.. The music is usually very very good.

Sansa and Reek running, The music when they showed the Dothraki scene initially was so awesome. I got goosebumps...

Then they give us this shit music that sounded like a cat walking on a piano.. the key presses one by one was so irritating and high pitched..

Usually it is is a combination of many keys at a lower volume..

When Lancel crawled to the wildfire, the music was actually good. The horrible thing was that it was purely piano..

OP,

The internet is full of people claiming it was the best music in the show (WTF!!). I guess our opinions will just fade away..

God I cant bear to hear more of this piano crap next year :(

The music as usual was great in S6 and I hope Ramin wins an Emmy for it. 

Unfortunately, we're at the point where this show has gone so commercial that nothing that happens in it can be questioned. There is a new crop of band wagon viewers that watch because all of their friends do and are going to like 100% of everything that happens in the show no matter what. That's not to say I don't respect people who liked season 6 in its entirety and who enjoy the musical piece because it sounded great to them. But honestly, at this point they could put a horse turd on the screen for the hour and people will love it and say they cried, and the reviews will all be positive.

10 hours ago, protar said:

I think it was a beautiful piece, and even worked quite well within the scene itself. But it was completely unlike any other music in the show. For some people I think that made it stand out so they're calling it the best music in the show. But for others that difference is a little jarring. I'm torn myself because it was a nice piece but I don't know if it fit.

I think the piece on its own could work very well, especially in a different context. But in the context it was used, it just didn't add up to me. Not just the fact that it didn't fit Game of Thrones, but I felt the tone was off emotionally.

Archived