jontargaryan

Wait. so why was Jon called the "White Wolf"?

78 posts in this topic

The obvious answer is because of Ghost, who was white. But how would all the northern lords know of Ghost?

 

 

 

Which lord would care to remember the wolf or the color of the wolf of a bastard?

 

 

 

I doubt anyone outside the Nights Watch ever knew he had a direwolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jontargaryan said:

The obvious answer is because of Ghost, who was white. But how would all the northern lords know of Ghost?

 

 

 

Which lord would care to remember the wolf or the color of the wolf of a bastard?

 

 

 

I doubt anyone outside the Nights Watch ever knew he had a direwolf

Because he has a white direwolf.

Which only a handful of people in that room have ever seen.

I'm still smarting that they couldn't put a little money together to see ghost again.

Edited by TheCasualObserver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's because of Ghost. Pretty much has to be.

It's probably fairly common knowledge, at least in the North, that the Stark Children got Direwolves, and Jon got an albino. It was said they were signs from the Old Gods.

Plus, if there are tales being told about Jon's exploits at the Wall and Beyond, Ghost's probably been mentioned a time or two as well.

 

 

But seriously, they really should have had Ghost in that scene. The only plausible explanation for not having Ghost around is budgetary ... and that's just frigging stupid. Cut some dragons. Cut some of the battle sequences. Cut the wights climbing on the damned walls and ceiling to chase after Bran and company.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is white wolf cos he is Jon Snow of House Stark. Snow is white and since Wolf is the sigil of Starks, thus it makes Jon Snow the white wolf!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

 

Edited by The hairy bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because he's Geralt of Rivia...?    

We should start calling Jon "Gwynbleidd, Arse Blathanna aep Invaernefell".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow is White

Jon Snow's Direwolf is White

It is "Catchy", besides other Stark Kings of Old had nicknames too, "The Implacable", "The Hungry Wolf" etc..

Edited by A Ghost of Someone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The Hungry Wolf

:Dthank god that they didn't call Jon "the hungry wolf"

on a serious note, I read that somewhere, is it true that "the white wolf" banner means that Jon made his own new house by becoming KitN? that's mean that the starks have the grey wolf banner and house jon have the white wolf banner?

Edited by Future Null Infinity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

:Dthank god that they didn't call Jon "the hungry wolf"

on a serious note, I read that somewhere, is it true that "the white wolf" banner means that Jon made his own new house by becoming KitN? that's mean that the starks have the grey wolf banner and house jon have the white wolf banner?

I don't know if that is true. We will have to wait and see, there will be tidbits closer to the fall as they will start filming soon if not already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I don't know if that is true. We will have to wait and see, there will be tidbits closer to the fall as they will start filming soon if not already.

ok, thank you for the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hilt of his sword is white stone with red eyes (based on Ghost) it's his "personal" sigil.

Edited by Winds of Winter blow cold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that they have never heard of the Bastard of Winterfell with an albino dire wolf. If the North has heard of Jon as a good fighter (through Ramsay's words), there is no way they haven't heard of Ghost. 

That said, there is no Ghost at the King in the or North scene, what a shame. CGI budget for the dragon is too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

 

that's good!  I'm pretty sure the people in the North (they remember) know Jon is Ned's bastard.  And all the achievements he has made at the wall.... little Lyanna Mormont certainly knew the score.  That girl was on top of everything!  bless her

People were asking in different thread WHERE was Ghost (his white wolf) through all the battles, etc.... I think it had to be Ghost was at The Wall only because if they brought him to Ramsays battle it would have been ridiculous for him to survive that.  The wolf would have been a plus for them for just a little while until it probably would be slain in that horrendous battle.  Arrows and spears... poor guy wouldn't have a chance.

So just checking, is Summer dead?  I think so, died with Hodor under the tree.  The Direwolves have had  significance but have not heard a great explanation.... seems like when someone's wolf died, they lost something?  Like, there's a tie-in to their wolf and their place in Winterfell.. or possibly their "legitimacy"?  Can't find the right word.  So ultimately, Jon has the only wolf left and he's destined now to - what - rule Winterfell?  Or it means legitimacy for him as a Stark? 

Also, that Lady (Sansa's wolf) was killed in place of Nymeria... perhaps that means she really did not lost legitimacy?  (sorry I can't think of the right word).  While Arya's wolf Nymeria is not dead but roaming wild just like Arya.  My goodness, give me some peace and let Arya be wandering the countryside and find a feral Nymeria who still recognizes her scent, and that reunion would just give me the biggest heart-hug ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2016 at 9:02 AM, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

 

Yes, A+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure it's common knowledge that a Stark bastard has a white direwolf. He's got quite a rep in the North. Besides, the Lords likely saw Ghost when they arrived in Winterfell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, because he has a white wolf. Just because the audience didn't see Ghost much this season doesn't mean he wasn't there at all. I'm sure Jon would've brought him along on his campaign to the other Houses, and that he was at Winterfell when the northern lords declared Jon king. He was just off-screen, because budget.

His sword having a white wolf pommel and the bastard tradition of switching banner colors are great points as well.

Also, Jon had been known as a black brother while in the Night's Watch. After everything that's happened to him, it's a fitting reversal that he will now be known as the white wolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

that's good!  I'm pretty sure the people in the North (they remember) know Jon is Ned's bastard.  And all the achievements he has made at the wall.... little Lyanna Mormont certainly knew the score.  That girl was on top of everything!  bless her

People were asking in different thread WHERE was Ghost (his white wolf) through all the battles, etc.... I think it had to be Ghost was at The Wall only because if they brought him to Ramsays battle it would have been ridiculous for him to survive that.  The wolf would have been a plus for them for just a little while until it probably would be slain in that horrendous battle.  Arrows and spears... poor guy wouldn't have a chance.

So just checking, is Summer dead?  I think so, died with Hodor under the tree.  The Direwolves have had  significance but have not heard a great explanation.... seems like when someone's wolf died, they lost something?  Like, there's a tie-in to their wolf and their place in Winterfell.. or possibly their "legitimacy"?  Can't find the right word.  So ultimately, Jon has the only wolf left and he's destined now to - what - rule Winterfell?  Or it means legitimacy for him as a Stark? 

Also, that Lady (Sansa's wolf) was killed in place of Nymeria... perhaps that means she really did not lost legitimacy?  (sorry I can't think of the right word).  While Arya's wolf Nymeria is not dead but roaming wild just like Arya.  My goodness, give me some peace and let Arya be wandering the countryside and find a feral Nymeria who still recognizes her scent, and that reunion would just give me the biggest heart-hug ever.

I'm logging in on Phone just to talk against this hogwash. The show establishes that, like the books, Robb uses Grey Wind to great effect in battle. Blame their poor budgeting (or different priorities if you feel like being nicer). Not anything about it being ridiculous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should have just killed off Ghost over Summer since Jon is Leeroy Jenkins with Plot armour

Edited by Ruhail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2016 at 8:02 AM, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

 

I was also thinking along these lines. All the stark children have dark haired or at least close to dark haired direwolves while Jon was the only one to receive a white direwolf. Jon is kind of the black sheep in the family, odd duck, the bastard so by calling him a white wolf portrays that he is not a true born Stark but he is a Stark none the less.

Edited by Lady Knows Nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now