Wait. so why was Jon called the "White Wolf"?

jontargaryan

On 7/5/2016 at 4:02 PM, The hairy bear said:

The Stark banner is a grey wolf on a white field. It is traditional among bastards to reverse the colors of their banners, so Jon's banner would have a white wolf. If you add to this that he has an actual white wolf around, the nickname was very obvious.

The most known example of a bastard reversing the colors was Daemon Blackfyre, who was known as "The Black Dragon". Jon being the White Wolf also echoes this.

This, any other answer is simply wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2016 at 11:10 PM, jontargaryan said:

The obvious answer is because of Ghost, who was white. But how would all the northern lords know of Ghost?

Which lord would care to remember the wolf or the color of the wolf of a bastard?

I doubt anyone outside the Nights Watch ever knew he had a direwolf

This is a very good question, I think.

The best explanation I can come up with is that on the way from Castle Black to Winterfell, there may well have been some talk about Ghost and what color he is.  For example, the wildlings were with them, and my strong understanding is that there are wildlings who are familiar with Ghost.  Once the word was out, I think the "legend" would grow and spread very quickly, just like the stories about Robb and Grey Wind.

On 5.7.2016 at 3:50 PM, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Because he's Geralt of Rivia...?    

We should start calling Jon "Gwynbleidd, Arse Blathanna aep Invaernefell".

Had the same thought. Most likely D&D played Wild Hunt while writing the scripts for S6 and thought it sounded cool. :D

5 hours ago, snow is the man said:

They should have had ghost just sitting down at the table during that scene. Even have him just laying down sleeping would have been fine

Sitting down at the table??

You mean like, in a seat at the table??

4 hours ago, snow is the man said:

ha ha. I mean on the floor

HARR!!!

Yeah, that's what I figured, but it was a funny mental image.  That scene, with Ghost literally in a seat at the table.  I'm chuckling again right now just thinking about it.

5 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Hey they are very close

Very true.  My guess is that Jon would have been fine with it.

In fact, he probably would have been happier with Ghost there, and everyone else gone, but sometimes duty calls.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Very true.  My guess is that Jon would have been fine with it.

In fact, he probably would have been happier with Ghost there, and everyone else gone, but sometimes duty calls.

true. To be honest I don't think jon wants to be "king of the north". When that girl started saying that he had an "oh shit" look to him.

7 hours ago, snow is the man said:

true. To be honest I don't think jon wants to be "king of the north". When that girl started saying that he had an "oh shit" look to him.

Agreed.

A LOT of people believe Jon is going to end up with Dany, ruling Westeros together, but I don't believe that, for quite a few reasons.

Jon has resisted leadership and tried to reject "power" at every opportunity, as I recall.  He had no interest in being Jeor's steward to be prepared for leadership (had to be forced into it, he just wanted to be a simple ranger, that's all), and had to be basically dragged into being Lord Commander, too.

He was the de facto "leader" of the forces of the north at the Battle of the Bastards, but did NOTHING, so far as I recall, in a leadership role there.   He charged into battle, literally alone, and then his forces later followed after him to support him.  If they had a "strategy, " I'm totally unaware of it, it just looked like "full frontal assault" to me.

And Jon's a loner.  BIG TIME.  There are quite a few reasons I don't believe Jon will end up with Dany, and this is one of them, he has no interest in ruling, in my strong opinion, especially in peace time.   Plus, of course, after his very bad experience as Lord Commander, I think he's even less likely to accept a role as a ruler than he would have been before.

And that's all fine by me.  Jon's a warrior, not really a leader, a commander, or king, in my view.

9 hours ago, Cron said:

Agreed.

A LOT of people believe Jon is going to end up with Dany, ruling Westeros together, but I don't believe that, for quite a few reasons.

Jon has resisted leadership and tried to reject "power" at every opportunity, as I recall.  He had no interest in being Jeor's steward to be prepared for leadership (had to be forced into it, he just wanted to be a simple ranger, that's all), and had to be basically dragged into being Lord Commander, too.

He was the de facto "leader" of the forces of the north at the Battle of the Bastards, but did NOTHING, so far as I recall, in a leadership role there.   He charged into battle, literally alone, and then his forces later followed after him to support him.  If they had a "strategy, " I'm totally unaware of it, it just looked like "full frontal assault" to me.

And Jon's a loner.  BIG TIME.  There are quite a few reasons I don't believe Jon will end up with Dany, and this is one of them, he has no interest in ruling, in my strong opinion, especially in peace time.   Plus, of course, after his very bad experience as Lord Commander, I think he's even less likely to accept a role as a ruler than he would have been before.

And that's all fine by me.  Jon's a warrior, not really a leader, a commander, or king, in my view.

I think he is a leader but will not enjoy it at all. There is a video on youtube that explained jons change after he came back from the dead. It is basically that he wanted to be left alone and then when he met up with sansa he just wanted to protect his remaining family. Remember he really didn't want to deal with the boltons and if ramsey had not sent that letter he would have gone south and left it all behind. When  rickon was killed it essentially made him just say screw it. Then when he was about to be trampled to death by the wildlings it was him being reborn and found out he wanted to live.

I do think he will be with dany but I don't think he will want to be king and do so for the good of everyone else.

3 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I think he is a leader but will not enjoy it at all. There is a video on youtube that explained jons change after he came back from the dead. It is basically that he wanted to be left alone and then when he met up with sansa he just wanted to protect his remaining family. Remember he really didn't want to deal with the boltons and if ramsey had not sent that letter he would have gone south and left it all behind. When  rickon was killed it essentially made him just say screw it. Then when he was about to be trampled to death by the wildlings it was him being reborn and found out he wanted to live.

I do think he will be with dany but I don't think he will want to be king and do so for the good of everyone else.

Upon reflection, I think instead of calling Jon the White Wolf, they should have called him the Lone Wolf.

HAR!!

Well, I guess we'll see about Jon and Dany.  I understand my opinion goes very much against the rani of conventional wisdom.

For what it's worth, though, if I were writing it, there's no way Jon and Dany would end up together.  I just think they are a bad match, in many ways.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:08 AM, Winds of Winter blow cold said:

The hilt of his sword is white stone with red eyes (based on Ghost) it's his "personal" sigil.

Also, have you noticed Ghost is not only white like the driven snow and the North, but also Targ hair!

And Yeah, they know about Ghost.

On 7/6/2016 at 5:44 PM, imaginepageant said:

Obviously, because he has a white wolf. Just because the audience didn't see Ghost much this season doesn't mean he wasn't there at all. I'm sure Jon would've brought him along on his campaign to the other Houses, and that he was at Winterfell when the northern lords declared Jon king. He was just off-screen, because budget.

His sword having a white wolf pommel and the bastard tradition of switching banner colors are great points as well.

Also, Jon had been known as a black brother while in the Night's Watch. After everything that's happened to him, it's a fitting reversal that he will now be known as the white wolf.

True. Most comprehensive answer

On 6/6/2017 at 8:16 PM, The Sunland Lord said:

Looking from northmen perspective it's clear the reason why the "White Wolf"-Ghost is a white direwolf and Jon is his master. 

From story perspective, since wolves signify something more than just wolves, Jon's direwolf is choosen to be white to hint Jon's Targaryen ancestry (they all are known to have pale, white hair), and the red eyes signify fire. Pretty basic stuff but that's why it's meant to be symbolic.

Basically Ghost fulfills Jon's Stark-Targ symbiosis perfectly.

I musta skimmed this too fast. I love the Targ symbolism 

Archived