Will you still hang out at the forum while reading WoW?

Sigella

On July 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Sigella said:

This for me too. I'm also a quick reader, but since english is not my first language it will probably take 2 days of binge-reading. After that I'll make a complete re-read at a slower pace to get the finer stuff. After that I'll be active here again. And most likely doing a second re-read on the side...

I wont do the "trapdoor spider" but I'm practicing my "dont talk to me"

But the question then is for how long? I'm not visiting until after a re-read.

Yikes... I do not envy you. Can't you pre-order it in a bookshop? If you're reading it in english it has to be available, right?

This is exactly me :read:

Seriously? :blink:

But then how are you gonna savor the re-read? Are you even gonna?

I'm pretty sure the release of WoW will cause an economic "Week of Winter" due to large groups not working and not doing anything but reading... ;)

Yeah. Crazy, I know. I put a note  where the maps are and where the house names sections start and then one for each chapter along the way. Also, I highlight as I'm reading and maybe add a small post-it note to the pages so I can find them quickly if I find a clue later. I usually end up removing any that could be red herring info. 

Totally Weird. I know ^_^

2 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I'll probably do a re-read either a year or two years later. I read at an insane pace and can pick up anything so there's no need for a re-read to catch the finer details. For me, it'll just be because I'd be waiting for ADOS

For humankind's sake I hope you breed Walder Frey style.

I'll want to finish it first.. My dilemma is, I only read at a medium- ish pace (and I probably can't avoid some interruptions). Highlighting and post-its are good ideas.. better than my usual random scraps of paper stuck between the pages.:rolleyes:

Next, I have the family arthritis developing in my hands.. I'll have to get a portable lectern thingy that can go from room to room with me.. I have a kindle, but while a large book is impossible for my wrists the kindle will be hard on my thumb joint for intense reading (the"pages" are so short). A-a-a-nd nothing is the same as reading a real book. So, I guess I'l need both.:D

I'd better start stocking up. Let's see..

post-its and highlighter

lectern-thingy

ear plugs

coffee

freezer food

Bottle of something-strong-for-calming-nerves-after-inevitable-interruptions

.. and discussion will still probably be way ahead of me by the time I get here.;)

I don't know if I could stay away, you guys have become my addiction :D. Anyway, I'm probably somewhat spoiled already, seeing as how I also watch the show. I don't how far afield the show has gone from the book, but there are bound to be some similarities. Those will be the first things I look for.

Binge read it in one day. Then wait two or three to start again and read it casually over a few days. Then come back. I don't post here much but I like to read what other people think. My main reason for not posting is I don't feel the need to reiterate what someone else has said.

Any idea on the release date? I haven't checked in a while.

1 hour ago, Cryler said:

Binge read it in one day. Then wait two or three to start again and read it casually over a few days. Then come back. I don't post here much but I like to read what other people think. My main reason for not posting is I don't feel the need to reiterate what someone else has said.

Any idea on the release date? I haven't checked in a while.

Nope. But I check often  :drool:

http://grrm.livejournal.com

If the show forum proves anything it's that most everything is going to be leaked before it happens. That didn't bother me much with the show, but with the book I want a surprise or two. As soon as a release date is announced, I'll probably disappear from the forums. The night is dark and full of spoilers and someone will get a pre-release edition, some leaks from the publisher or something and it'll be all over. As upset as people get about being spoiled, a fan forum is the last place you should be if you don't want to be spoiled. Frankly I don't even think it's fair that the people isolating themselves should somehow get to dictate what people do and don't talk about. Some people don't mind getting spoiled andwant to digest each partial detail as they come available. Nothing wrong with that. It's your decision to visit these forums or not.

When the release date is announced, I'll probably start a re-read over again. I'll have to grind it out through Feast and Dance, as my re-reads tend to falter on those two novels, but that'll be important. Once the novel comes out I'll speed read it in the period of 24-48 hours I expect. Then I'll settle in fore a more leisurely read to find all the details and likely start popping back on the forums. I expect the House of Crackpot will be out in full force again, but that's the nature of the beast.

On 7/5/2016 at 6:50 AM, Sigella said:

I was just thinking how I certainly aren't gonna even visit westeros.org while reading WoW - which lead me to wonder what other people are planning.

My reason for not to is spoilers. The only exception would be a quick wiki if I'd have to look something up.

Whats your plans?

On 7/5/2016 at 7:12 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

Nope. I will be absent from the forum for about 4 days of binge reading during December 2017.

Exactly this!  I will absolutely devour TWoW like I just crawled out of the desert and it's cool, clear water!  During that short time I won't frequent the board but then I'll be back to discuss it.

On 6-7-2016 at 3:16 PM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Are you serious? Each book took me a week to ten days. 

I read the first four books in a week. Then I immediately reread them in 2 weeks, and again in a months. Then I head a year long break waiting for ADwD, and read them again in 10 days. It was intense, but satisfying.

I heard that it takes about three months from the time George turns in the manuscript until the books hit the shelves. His turn around time is much faster since he turns in a complete manuscript. I don't think I would expect spoilers until maybe three weeks before pub date. That's when I will drop off the forums. Also, that's the best way to avoid those strange people who pretend to know and are just trolling.

Depending on how many interruptions occur and how well my eyesight is working, it may take me 40 hours to speed read the first time, but I will lose details. I use some color -coded page markers and a mechanical pencil so it will be fairly easy to find the pages that I blurred past. I may go back on the forums before I reread those pages.

I also like to put up some decorations to tide me over the few weeks immediately prior to publication. I can look at them and think, "Well,  it's only two weeks, ten days, one week, etc." I think waiting when you know it's coming a certain date is almost harder than what we are going through now.

10 hours ago, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

I read the first four books in a week. Then I immediately reread them in 2 weeks, and again in a months. Then I head a year long break waiting for ADwD, and read them again in 10 days. It was intense, but satisfying.

I read the the complete Twilight Series, plus one novella, in less than a week. You have to consider the fact that it was winter, there was snow up to my tookus, it was colder than The Others, and I had my oldest grandson and his friends, who were teenagers at the time. I retreated to my bedroom with my books in self-defense.

Quite frankly TWoW will probably make me come to the forums - especially the ASOIAF General section - more often than I do currently. Back in 2012-2013 I posted in ASOIAF General almost exclusively, but eventually with no new material to work with you start to see the same threads over and over again. TWoW is what this forum needs.

The night is dark and full of spoilers :D

I certainly will, first to share the joy that WoW is finally here, second to discuss. I think it's impossible to avoid spoilers in the times of Internet and social media. And why avoid them? Even if one learns smth from spoilers, reading it by yourself is a totally different experience.

What I certainly is do, I'll take a couple of days off to read the book.

Archived