Is Doran a paedo?

He hangs out at a swimming pool all day watching little naked kids frolick in the sun, he's from a family of incorrigible sex fiends, and his hands are all fucked-up - supposedly from gout, but possibly from an excessive amount of feverish masturbation. Is Doran Martell a paedophile?

It would be quite the fucking reveal: this character, who we've all previously sympathised with (even those of us who thought he was boring), is secretly a monstrous pervert. We've seen bad characters be revealed to be good, why not the other way around?

I've seen some theories that Oberyn and Elia were incestuous together, and other Martells were rapists, and so on, so sexual deviancy clearly runs in that family. Am I the only one who's wondered this?

You are not, but I do think the general concensus on this forum, with which I agree, is that he is not a pedophile.

He is at the Water Gardens so much because the climate is easier on his gout.

He spends so much time looking at the children at their play because they remind him of the innocence he wants to protect from an all out war, such as the sand snakes and Arianne seek to provoke with the Lannisters.

Also I don't even think it's possible to masturbate so much as to mess up your hands. I think something else would be messed up way before your hands.

1 hour ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

He hangs out at a swimming pool all day watching little naked kids frolick in the sun, he's from a family of incorrigible sex fiends, and his hands are all fucked-up - supposedly from gout, but possibly from an excessive amount of feverish masturbation. Is Doran Martell a paedophile?

It would be quite the fucking reveal: this character, who we've all previously sympathised with (even those of us who thought he was boring), is secretly a monstrous pervert. We've seen bad characters be revealed to be good, why not the other way around?

I've seen some theories that Oberyn and Elia were incestuous together, and other Martells were rapists, and so on, so sexual deviancy clearly runs in that family. Am I the only one who's wondered this?

With this much of detail...yea, probably just you

Liking being around kids is not the same thing as wanting to have sex with them.  Is it possible?  I guess so.  But he would probably spend less time around naked children if that was his goal.

For all the horribleness presented in ASOIAF, I guess you could argue that pedophilia is under-represented, but I think most readers are fine with that.

1 hour ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

You are not, but I do think the general concensus on this forum, with which I agree, is that he is not a pedophile.

He is at the Water Gardens so much because the climate is easier on his gout.

He spends so much time looking at the children at their play because they remind him of the innocence he wants to protect from an all out war, such as the sand snakes and Arianne seek to provoke with the Lannisters.

Also I don't even think it's possible to masturbate so much as to mess up your hands. I think something else would be messed up way before your hands.

I agree with this.

2 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

He does have a blanket to cover his lap, supposedly because of the gout but you never know...

It's the blanket that hides the viper

2 hours ago, BrightStar Of The Day said:

Well, there was that Seinfeld episode

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Anyway, I'm not seeing anybody come back with, "Well, that would explain the subtext in this scene" or whatever, so I'm guessing it's a non-starter

I think you'll just have to go to whatever event George is scheduled to appear at in the near future, and hope that you get a chance to ask a question. I'm sure that for once he'd like to hear a question that's not been asked before, and you just might have one right there!

Whenever this topic is brought up Doran gets defended by all and sundry, probably by some of the same people who call other characters pedos when they are actually attracted to teenagers (and I know people who had 13 year old daughters who were climbing out the bedroom window to meet up with guys for whoopee). 

Those are naked little kids Doran's scoping out. Possession of images of them would get you jailed in Western countries. Other characters are judged by modern standards, so Doran should be, too.

3 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

and his hands are all fucked-up - supposedly from gout, but possibly from an excessive amount of feverish masturbation.

This is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. That a man could masturbate so furiously that he broke BOTH hands (and apparently. extraordinarily, his knees too!)

I would say, that with all that money and power, Doran Martel could probably do a lot more than watch kids in the water gardens if he was so inclined. While Planetos rocks when it comes to magical beings and bold warriors, it totally blows when it comes to child protective services or human rights.

I'd say this theory is probably wrong...

GRRM really needs to finish these books

The first time I read about the water gardens, I thought it was weird, like in pedo weird. 

But since there are no other hints, and the ones you provide are supremely weak or made up, I would say no, he is not a pedo.

You should consider how some people that went trough the tragical loss of a son gets 'intense'  with other people kids.  Even creepy sometimes, but not in a sexual way.

48 minutes ago, ivosan said:

You should consider how some people that went trough the tragical loss of a son gets 'intense'  with other people kids.  Even creepy sometimes, but not in a sexual way.

But he didn't lose a son, did he? Or are you talking about fostering Quentyn with the Yronwoods?

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

GRRM really needs to finish these books

Lol, got that right

No.  Nudity, especially involving children, doesn't seem to be a big deal, and there seems to be a general lack of privacy about such things in any case.  Arya, for example, has had several scenes involving nudity, including one where she stripped naked in the Blackwater to clean off after accidentally sneaking out of the Red Keep, and seemed quite unconcerned about it.  

1 hour ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Other characters are judged by modern standards, so Doran should be, too

If you try to judge attitudes towards children and adolescents in ASOIAF by modern standards you are going to be a lot of banging your head against a wall.  Young people do a whole lot of things that range from inappropriate to highly illegal by modern standards, yet go unremarked by the characters themselves, and even most readers.

When describing Oberyns bisexuality, it's said that he sleeps with "boys" so I wouldn't say that pedophilia is out of the question for the Martells, but there's no strong evidence any of them actually practice it. 

Satin was born, raised, and worked in the same Oldtown brothel, so it's not like "grooming" is an unknown practice in Westeros. Even if Doran doesn't do it, it is a thing. 

Archived