Is Jaime a good jouster or not?

Eiko Dragonhorn

9 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

In D&E they mention that there aren't melees at weddings, but there are jousts. It is why Dunk entered the joust when Egg kept saying he would do better in a melee.

True, and I do agree that was probably a joust, I just want some solid info, it's weird to have so few confirmed victories for Jaime with so many opportunities... but I think that's about as close as there is currently. Two problems are that Egg said that 100 years before that tourney and Robert - the groom - prefers melees to jousts. I'll have to check if the World book mentions that tourney later today...

9 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

I don't have my book on me but doesn't jaime say something along the lines of, "Barristan could have atleast mentioned some of the tourneys I won." Implying that he has won multiple tourneys.

The issue with that is that Barristan's own entry includes individual match victories at tourneys... Does Barristan exclude these unnamed victories of Jaime because they were "tournaments of gnats" as Joffrey's nameday tourney in CoK was? Not worth mentioning? Or was it just because Barristan disrespects Jaime for obvious reasons? Even Jaime doesn't go into any detail about his wins...

Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, cgrav said:

I think Jaime's swordsmanship is meant as a symbol for Lannisters: not as "golden" as their reputation. 

In addition to the examples above, Jaime can barely stay on his feet when fighting Brienne, who he's just spent a great deal of time deriding.

The biggest legends are also humble, while Jaime is not.

Jaime being an only average swordsman fits well into his overall arc of leaving behind an uncomfortable identity that he inhabited since being named to the Kingsguard.

As already mentioned, Jaime has just spend a year sitting in his own excrement and underfed, and was in heavy manacles. Furthermore, in book canon the duel is pretty evenly matched, until Jaime's lack of stamina (due to having been confined in a cell for a year) shows. Later, Brienne admits that until he tired, 'it had been all that she could do to keep his blade at bay', and that 'No knight in the Seven Kingdoms could have stood against him at his full strength, with no chains to hamper him.'

Joust is a single blow affair, where horse movement is just a straight foward pattern, so the winners must vary a lot, since there are limited defensive moves.  The books are not gonna tell every win Jaime had, they have more interesting things to do. Conditioning is everything in a fight, one whole year sitting, in the dark, shackled, muscle loss, nutrional/vitamins deficit and all , Jaime should even be able to hold a sword. That fight is a testament of out of "this world" talent.

Archived