NBA Offseason: Oklahoma! Where the MVP Free Agents Come Falling From the Sky

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Been reading about some of the nonsense between Stephen A. Smith and Durant. Came across a mention in that dreck that Durant is represented by Roc Nation Sports. I was just wondering why at this point in his career a max player like Durant would even bother with representation. What with all the max parameters being set in stone, why would you flush 10% down the toilet? It's not like they can negotiate a better deal. Seems to me you'd be better off with just a personal assistant at a much cheaper price.  

Regarding Wade to the Cavs, there are only two ways I see it working.

1. Wade decides to spite Miami for not giving him the "godfather" contract and agrees to sign with the Cavs for their mini-MLE.  Technically possible, but I'd consider it unlikely.

2. LeBron and JR both agree to take less money in order to fit Wade in.  This is much more likely.  JR is represented by LeBron's best friend Rich Paul, so it's not ridiculous to assume that JR would be willing to take less to stay with the Cavs this year in exchange from an under-the-table agreement to get a bigger deal next year.  Technically this would be against the rules, but it's basically impossible to prove, and JR can simply say he agreed to take less so that they could sign Wade.  They'd also have to deal Iman Shumpert, but his contract is basically a bargain now, so they could probably actually get something in return.  

Isnt there still more to contracts than simply length and salary? Agents are going to know that legaleeze language.

And then there's endorsement deals they handle, which is where the important money is anyway for a player of Durants' stardom.

I also have suspicion that a lot of an agencys  job is to be a hype machine similar to what a record label provides for a musician. 

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Regarding Wade to the Cavs, there are only two ways I see it working.

1. Wade decides to spite Miami for not giving him the "godfather" contract and agrees to sign with the Cavs for their mini-MLE.  Technically possible, but I'd consider it unlikely.

2. LeBron and JR both agree to take less money in order to fit Wade in.  This is much more likely.  JR is represented by LeBron's best friend Rich Paul, so it's not ridiculous to assume that JR would be willing to take less to stay with the Cavs this year in exchange from an under-the-table agreement to get a bigger deal next year.  Technically this would be against the rules, but it's basically impossible to prove, and JR can simply say he agreed to take less so that they could sign Wade.  They'd also have to deal Iman Shumpert, but his contract is basically a bargain now, so they could probably actually get something in return.  

There is a third option being discussed. Wade could go to the Nuggets and get traded to the Cavs in December. Unlikely, but theoretically possible. 

4 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Isnt there still more to contracts than simply length and salary? Agents are going to know that legaleeze language.

And then there's endorsement deals they handle, which is where the important money is anyway for a player of Durants' stardom.

Ah yes, I didn't consider that second point. It's the shoe deal that makes the agent still valid in the NBA, that makes sense.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

There is a third option being discussed. Wade could go to the Nuggets and get traded to the Cavs in December. Unlikely, but theoretically possible. 

That one is tougher simply because it will just reek of collusion.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

That one is tougher simply because it will just reek of collusion.

Yep, but it's being suggested as a possibility. 

Hasn't the NBA recently signaled that they might do away with some or possibly all of the collusion rules? They're kind of worthless at this point anyways and everybody violates them. 

I prefer the rumors about DeMarcus Cousins going to the Cavs rather than the D-Wade rumors. He's got more to offer at this point in their respective careers and we already know that LeBron and D-Wade aren't actually a great skills fit; it only worked in Miami because they were both so talented and had solid chemistry. The chemistry's presumably still there but D-Wade's skills are not.

Although having Cousins and JR Smith on the same team seems like a recipe for some bad stuff to happen at some point.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yep, but it's being suggested as a possibility. 

Hasn't the NBA recently signaled that they might do away with some or possibly all of the collusion rules? They're kind of worthless at this point anyways and everybody violates them. 

I haven't heard anything like that, but you are right that they are violated a lot, especially by certain teams like Miami.  It's also worth noting that players can collude and it's not against the rules.  Like, LeBron and Wade and JR can agree to all take less money to fit Wade in.  The Cavs, however, can not promise JR Smith more money next year in exchange for taking less this year.  Of course, as long as no one ever finds out they did, which they likely would not, it wouldn't matter.  And they wouldn't even have to make that promise to LeBron, as it's obvious that he'll get paid whatever he asks to be paid at this point in his career.  If he takes less, it's because he chose to.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I prefer the rumors about DeMarcus Cousins going to the Cavs rather than the D-Wade rumors. He's got more to offer at this point in their respective careers and we already know that LeBron and D-Wade aren't actually a great skills fit; it only worked in Miami because they were both so talented and had solid chemistry. The chemistry's presumably still there but D-Wade's skills are not.

Although having Cousins and JR Smith on the same team seems like a recipe for some bad stuff to happen at some point.

Why not both?  The Cavs work Wade into the team with their cap space created by LeBron and JR taking less, then they flip Love for Cousins at some point.

28 minutes ago, briantw said:

I haven't heard anything like that, but you are right that they are violated a lot, especially by certain teams like Miami.  It's also worth noting that players can collude and it's not against the rules.  Like, LeBron and Wade and JR can agree to all take less money to fit Wade in.  The Cavs, however, can not promise JR Smith more money next year in exchange for taking less this year.  Of course, as long as no one ever finds out they did, which they likely would not, it wouldn't matter.  And they wouldn't even have to make that promise to LeBron, as it's obvious that he'll get paid whatever he asks to be paid at this point in his career.  If he takes less, it's because he chose to.

There is a long running joke in Miami that in exchange for taking a super low contract, Wade gets a cruise liner from Arison after he retires. 

@Fez,

How would they even get him? Swap Love? 

35 minutes ago, Fez said:

THIS^^^^

Could make for an amazing showdown of superteams come the Finals. Two really contrasting styles as well, with Cleveland just dominating inside, and the Warriors filling it up from downtown.  

I'm skeptical that Cousins would really improve the Cavs that much vs the Warriors.  Cousins + Thompson could definitely bully the Warriors on the glass, but I'm not at all convinced he would really be a good fit on either offense or defense.  Plus, the Cavs won in large part because they played both free and disciplined in the Finals, and Cousins has never really pulled that off in his NBA career. 

As a Thunder fan, I'd like to see Love for Enes Kanter. I think that's a trade that makes both teams better.

Also, I think Cousins would be great for the Cavs, and a better fit and big upgrade over Love. I also think that would be a singularly shitty thing to do to Kevin Love. If they're going to trade Love, they should at least have the decency to send him somewhere he signs off on after he inked a long term extension with them.

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm skeptical that Cousins would really improve the Cavs that much vs the Warriors.  Cousins + Thompson could definitely bully the Warriors on the glass, but I'm not at all convinced he would really be a good fit on either offense or defense.  Plus, the Cavs won in large part because they played both free and disciplined in the Finals, and Cousins has never really pulled that off in his NBA career. 

To be fair, Cousins has spent his entire career playing for the biggest clusterfuck of a franchise in the NBA.

Archived