What colour are Jon Snow's eyes?

Locksley

Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw. He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black. He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue. His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew that they were purple. Dark purple.

Perhaps no-one looked at Jon's eyes from such a close vantage. Ygritte, sadly, cannot tell any more.

4 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Cold preserves.

It has to be really cold, like "leaving him covered with ice on the ground cold" since his body inner temperature is now zero degrees celsius (i'm euro)...

But it's fantasy and he's going to revive so who cares, dark gray by the books and whatever folks want by theory association... Renly had green changed to blue, tyrion has a rainbow almost... 

Eye colour is important in this story but imo not as much as folks hope

3 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

It has to be really cold, like "leaving him covered with ice on the ground cold" since his body inner temperature is now zero degrees celsius (i'm euro)...

Not just yet, the temperature will decrease only gradually, until it eventually stays at the temperature of the environment. Since the temperatures at Castle Black are below zero, Jon will eventually freeze solid, just like a piece of meat in the freezer, unless they take him somewhere warmer. In this state, his eyes will not rot, only dry out.

3 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

But it's fantasy and he's going to revive so who cares, dark gray by the books and whatever folks want by theory association... Renly had green changed to blue, tyrion has a rainbow almost... 

It may, and it may not be important. The speculation is mostly triggered by having seen eye colour become a plot point, like with YG. We shall see if Jon's eyes might yield a little indigo for someone knowing what to look for.

5 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Ha ha!  You don't have to justify using Celsius.  It is the temperature scale used by 98% of the countries on our planet.

And I agree with you about eye colour.  I doubt that Jon's eyes are anything but grey or GRRM would have provided clues otherwise by now.

Jon's eyes are grey, dark grey like Ned's and Arya's and -by association- Lyanna's.

Jon's grey eyes (and overall look) are important as a point about who his mother was.

(IMO it would be quite lame (as in, fanservice) to give him eyes shades of purple, you know, after the big reveal, and then have characters who knew him well to somehow wonder why they never noticed that. But, it's pretty safe to say it's very unlikely, so I don't need to bitch about it any further :))

19 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Ha ha!  You don't have to justify using Celsius.  It is the temperature scale used by 98% of the countries on our planet.

And I agree with you about eye colour.  I doubt that Jon's eyes are anything but grey or GRRM would have provided clues otherwise by now.

It was meant as a joke... so much discussion about jon's eyes when, imo, they were said to be dark gray like most starks and the importance died there for me...

But because he's "dead" it doesn't matter anymore, jokes, bad ones but jokes

lol yeah i know but since this is an american originated forum i felt i would make the celsius statement, because for the life of me i don´t know how folks in the u.s prefer farenheit or inches to the metric system but... NAPOLEON WAS THE MAN :bowdown:

i do find that the equivalents are wrong in the height department, for example 6´2 is supposed to be 1m 88cm but i´m 1,85 and taller than 6'2 listed american friends i met in college :huh:

On 7/18/2016 at 5:44 AM, Ygrain said:

Ser Gerold Dayne had an aquiline nose, high cheekbones, a strong jaw. He kept his face clean-shaven, but his thick hair fell to his collar like a silver glacier, divided by a streak of midnight black. He has a cruel mouth, though, and a crueler tongue. His eyes seemed black as he sat outlined against the dying sun, sharpening his steel, but she had looked at them from a closer vantage and she knew that they were purple. Dark purple.

Perhaps no-one looked at Jon's eyes from such a close vantage. Ygritte, sadly, cannot tell any more.

Jon'es eyee are dark grey and if it is a matter of people seeing it as grey because he's a Stark.If someone out of the blue says he's  a Targ the same thing would apply.Someone could easily say "Oh yeah,in this light i do see a twinge of indigo if i look real close,or if the light catches it a certain way." That's a bit much don't you think Ygrain?

Why not look to someone who is foreign to Westeros and whose only encounter with a Stark is Jon himself and see what she says.She has no expectations regarding his look,she's only describing what she sees.

“Lord Snow,” Melisandre said quietly. “Will you come with me to the King’s Tower? I have more to share with you.” He looked at her face for a long moment with those cold grey eyes of his. His right hand closed, opened, closed again. “As you wish. Edd, take Ghost back to my chambers ADWD,Mel 1.”

Later in Melssandre's chapter.

All at once he was bigger than before, broader in the chest and shoulders, longlegged and lean, his face clean-shaved and wind-burnt. Jon Snow’s grey eyes grew wider. “Mance? ADWD,Mel 1.”

Coming from a woman with no expectation to see anything except what's before her. No violet,no purple,no indigo.Just gray eyes.

1 hour ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

It was meant as a joke... so much discussion about jon's eyes when, imo, they were said to be dark gray like most starks and the importance died there for me...

But because he's "dead" it doesn't matter anymore, jokes, bad ones but jokes

lol yeah i know but since this is an american originated forum i felt i would make the celsius statement, because for the life of me i don´t know how folks in the u.s prefer farenheit or inches to the metric system but... NAPOLEON WAS THE MAN :bowdown:

i do find that the equivalents are wrong in the height department, for example 6´2 is supposed to be 1m 88cm but i´m 1,85 and taller than 6'2 listed american friends i met in college :huh:

You crack me up LSR...

18 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

And when Melisandre breathes the fire of life back into Jon it will ignite the cold fires within his eyes and they'll be purple when he's reborn. :P

Who knows? Never left anything in the freezer far too long? :D

• 9 months later...
On July 18, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Schwarze Sonne said:

Everyone in the books described Jon's eyes as dark grey, so dark they looked almost black.

Rhaegar Targaryen's eyes were dark indigo. Viserys' eyes were pale lilac, Daenerys' were violet. Ashara Dayne's eyes were also violet. They aren't exactly purple color if we were to be more specific. Purple is more red-tinted while violet is more blue-tinted.

Hair color can also change how eye color looks like. Prince Aegon Targaryen (the fraud) had different eye color when his hair were dyed blue. Tyrion noted that Aegon's eyes seem to be dark blue, but looked black by lamplight, and purple in the light of dusk.

Jon had dark brown hair and that could play a huge role to how his eye color looks like to other observers. Dark indigo and dark grey are also very difficult to differentiate (Jon's eyes look so dark they seem like black, very dark indigo also looks like black with blue-tint). And everyone who observed Jon did so with their biased perception of Jon's Starkness.

This!

From the text we have Jon's eyes are dark grey.

I will be very surprised if at some point before the end of the series they aren't described as being purple in someway.  Perhaps during the break of the next Dawn?  

If George specifically tells us early in the series Jon's eyes have some purple to them we can all see how that is just a bit too much info for the reader to get about Jon.  The reveal will come towards the end.  Instead George has given us a few other examples describe other peoples eyes as being so so dark they look purple or so purple they look dark.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:03 PM, Locksley said:

Hey everyone,

Sorry to make such a mundane thread here but I currently have all my ASoIaF books lent out to my friends so I can't just pick up GoT and reference it for the answer to this question. I can't remember what colour Jon Snow's eyes are supposed to be. I think I remember them being brown, but I'm not positive on that. Anyone?

Definitely not purple.......

Archived