Who is the third head of the dragon?

Thia Stark

So, in light of recent events in GoT I think we can confirm that Jon Snow is one head of the dragon (in both books and show) and we know that Daenerys is the another one. We don't know with certainty when this will come up, but we can assume that the three heads of the dragon will have some importance in the War for the Dawn, they'll most probably be the three dragonriders. Here is a list of potential candidates for the 3rd head:

- Aegon VI Targaryen: the most obvious one, but he's probably a Blackfyre. Although, we don't know for sure that the heads of the dragon have to be (trueborn) Targaryens

- Tyrion Lannister: the most obvious choice for those who believe in the fAegon theory, especially if you believe that he's the Mad King's son. He's also one of the three main protagonists of the story so it would be fitting

- Jaime Lannister: if he and Cersei were fathered by the Mad King. PRO: he IS on a redemptive story arc. CON: everything else

- Bran Stark: if he wargs a dragon, although there's no chance that he has Targaryen blood

- Jon and Dany's future child: "Because f* you that's why." - GRRM. But seriously, I would be so pissed off if that were to happen

I'm sure there are a bunch of other crackpot theories about who could be the third head, but these are, in my opinion, the most likely. If I had to bet on one of them, I would say Tyrion, but I also wouldn't rule out Bran, as I don't like the idea of just one family being special little snowflake-dragonriding-badasses and all the other being like... yeah... just gonna wait for the Targs and their dragons to save us

I am not sure if this belongs here...

In any case I believe that Jon is the 3headed dragon to quote myself;

In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

Crackpot time: I don't necessarily subscribe to this, but maybe it'd be kind of cool if it was Arya. I know it makes little to no sense (although it does make way more sense that Jaime being the third head).

But the original plan for the novels was to get Jon and Arya together, which would bring us to a one-king-two-wives parallel with Aegon I. They would be related and everything! Plus there's Arya's warging abilities, and all her parallels and comparisons to Lyanna (who was part of another trio with Rhaegar and Elia). Also we would be having an exact half ice, half fire trio (one and a half Targaryen, one and a half Stark), so the whole Song of Ice and Fire conundrum would be reinforced. Plus, no one would be expecting that.

But, then again, it'll probably be Tyrion. But it doesn't matter if he's really Aerys' son; GRRM said that the heads don't necessarily need to be of the blood of the dragon. Besides, more than one secret Targaryen would be sloppy and tasteless, narratively-wise.

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 6:39 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

On Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I was reading a post from Apple Martini (Jon Snow at the Crossroads of Resurrection Mythology) and then I had an idea. In many mythologies around the world one deity has 3 separate *faces*. One deity can be three other deities at the same time. So I had the idea: How about Jon being the three headed dragon with different hypostasis?

Like:

Jon Targaryen, Jon Stark, Jon Snow

Jon the wolf, Jon the Dragon, Jon the crow

Jon the King in the North, Jon the Targ king, Jon LC of NW

Jon the Song of Ice and Fire, Jon the Prince that was Promised, Jon the Azor Ahai Reborn

What do you think?

I really like this! I have felt since my very first read through of the novels that the story is all about Jon.

Initially I felt like the 3 dragon riders were Dany, Jon and Tyrion, but after much thought, I'm not convinced that Dany's actual role with the Dragons is to be more than their mother and eventually lose control of them. Aegon is a fake and I'm not even sure he's a Blackfyre. I think Varys is our Blackfyre in this story. Tyrion is interesting because many things hint that he could be a Targaryen, but more that he is actually very much Tywin's actual son. Maybe the incest twins are Targaryens so if Cercei takes the 50/50 coin toss role and is mad, then Jaime could turn out to be a huge hero, but I'm not sure if that will relate to dragons for him. I'm not convinced the three dragons will even all have riders or make it to the final battle! I'm not convinced Dany's three dragons are the only dragons in the story, as there is so much foreshadowing of ice dragons. If it is about dragon riders I think Bran makes sense and Sam is the wild card.

But if we separate the idea of dragon riders and three heads of the dragon, then one person with three major characteristics makes sense. Jon! It always comes back to Jon for me.

So the idea of the Stark connection, Night's Watch/Wildling connection, and Targaryen connection is really interesting!

Jon the Wolf, Jon the Crow, Jon the Dragon!!! I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

Jon is the third head. Aegon was the second, and Daenerys is the first. 

The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do.

There is another candidate: Stannis Baratheon.

Maester Aemons words (AFFC, Samwell IV):

The prophecy . . . my brother's dream . . . Lady Melisandre has misread the signs. Stannis . . . Stannis has some of the dragon blood in him, yes. His brothers did as well. Rhaelle, Egg's little girl, she was how they came by it . . . their father's mother . . . she used to call me Uncle Maester when she was a little girl. I remembered that, so I allowed myself to hope . . . perhaps I wanted to . . . we all deceive ourselves, when we want to believe.

• 4 weeks later...

The three heads are Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon. 

It's all in AGOT

She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs

Then we have: 

the egg beside Drogo's Heart (Drogon) => love, heart, affection  => Daenerys

the egg beside Drogo's Head (Raehgal) => rationality / knowledge / wisdom => Tyrion

the egg between Drogo's legs = (Viserion) => sword (potentially sex?) => Jon

So the people emboding the Heart, the Head and the Sword will be the dragon riders.

Granted that Daenerys already rides Drogon (and he was Drogo's wife), I think it's quite safe to assume Tyrion fits the Head symbolism and Jon the Sword one (even if we assumed Tyrion, who clearly doesn't represent the sword, might represent sex and therefore ride VIserion all the same, we would be obliged to riconsider, because Jon could never fit the head/rationality/knowledge symbolism, so the solution doesn't work (we could think fAegon would be the Sword, but if he were, the show wouldn't cut off his storyline ... that's just basic common sense. The show and the books may differ, but they wouldn't go different ways when it comes to something as important as the three dragon riders, especially given that the ending will be the same).

In fact, in S6, there are hints confirming this.

Spoiler

In 6x02, Tyrion first frees/bond with Raeghal when he goes for the dragons

In 6x10, Tyrion has been named Hand of the Queen by Daenerys, so that his role as 'man of  reason', as Head besides her (whose impulsive behavior embodies the Heart) has become official.

So far we have, then:

Daenerys actually rides Drogon, the egg near Drogo's Heart and she clearly embodies, with her impulsive behavior as shown in the show (and in the books), the Heart (1/3 of the AGOT symbolism)

Tyrion embodies the rational/wise/cultured advisor besides her, exactly as the person who rides Raeghal should embody the Head, according to that AGOT paragraph... and he bonded with Raeghal first in 6x02 (in the books we don't have this scene): it seems, then, that in the show he is meant to ride Raeghal (2/3 of the AGOT symbolism);

-  both Tyrion and Daenerys hint at her future military allegiances and at a possible political marriage / love interest (she while talking with Daario, he when he tells her Daario 'won't be the last'): Jon, being a soldier, a warrior and King in the North, is clearly apt to fit the Sword symbolism and, in theory - if they want to get there / if GRRM meant it that way also - even the sexual part of the symbolism (3/3 of the AGOT symbolism). 

We have even that part, in the 6x10 dialogue, where Tyrion says that he'd offer her his sword, but he doesn't own one (methaporically meaning that he is not fit / not meant to be the Sword) and she dismisses it saying 'it's your counsel I need' (= you embody the Head, not the Sword)

Daenerys, the Heart, has her Head: she needs her Sword now. 

It doesn't matter that in the books we didn't have the 6x02 scene: I don't think the books and the show would go separate ways about a thing as important as this one: whoever rides - physically or methaporically - Raeghal in the show, will likely ride it in the books also. Therefore, if the show goes like Tyrion=>Raeghal (as 6x02 and 6x10 may suggest), I guess it is because D&D know that in the books it will be the same.

In this perspective, we should consider that Viserion is usually referred as the 'white' dragon (as Jon owns the white dire wolf). And we should consider that Raeghar was a valiant knight, tall and melancholic (Jon's traits) but he was also very bookish - to the point he was mocked about it in his youth - and very intelligent and underneath the plate he wore a golden ringmail (Tyrion's traits). This might explain why who rides Raeghal has to embody the 'Head' and not the 'Sword', even if he's named after a valiant warrior. The fact Jon is Rhaegar's son doesn't automatically make Rhaegal his dragon, because Jon doesn't fit the Head symbolism.

Also, incase the above mentioned quote is fitting, my thesis fits the above mentioned quote too: The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. 

The first head devours the dying = Daenerys with Drogon is supposed to kill white walkers (I know it doesn't say 'dead'... but the WW are living dead).

the reborn emerge from the third = Jon is the reborn hence the third head of the dragon. 

I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do = Tyrion's role is (still) unclear, which fits the theory that Tyrion is the sphinx (hence the riddle, not the riddler).

Finally (weakest point of all), Rhaegal is described as a combination of opposites: "Rhaegal was made of the green of summer and the bronze of fall". Tyron has got mismatched eyes (green and black) and his haird and beard are half blond, half black.

Archived