Alton Sterling shooting.

James Arryn

Video revealing police shooting a man in Baton Rouge is circulating the Internet, causing waves. I haven't watched the video because I try to avoid that stuff, but it's supposed to be very graphic and another disturbing example of questionable police violence with an African-American.

Supposedly he was shot several times after being pinned down, following some kind of altercation outside a store where he sells videos and CD's. The video was taken from inside a car and the person filming immediately hid his phone or camera, else we might never have seen this.

I think this is going to be another big one. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Video revealing police shooting a man in Baton Rouge is circulating the Internet, causing waves. I haven't watched the video because I try to avoid that stuff, but it's supposed to be very graphic and another disturbing example of questionable police violence with an African-American. Supposedly he was shot several times after being pinned down, following some kind of altercation outside a store where he sells videos and CD's. The video was taken from inside a car and the person filming immediately hid his phone or camera, else we might never have seen this.

I think this is going to be another big one. 

I saw the video.  it's pretty disgusting.

17 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I don't usually want to link a video I haven't seen, but would an NSFW cover it if I did?

yes.  It's graphic only in the sense that it's a guy being pinned down by two cops and summarily executed.  

there's no gore that I could see or anything like that.

10 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

For every one that you see, there's a dozen that you don't. How often must this happen without the public being aware of it because we don't have somebody on hand filming.

Evidently the cops were wearing body cams, but they supposedly "fell off" during the struggle.

Yup, this.  Sterling's criminal history immediately became part of the story.  Without the video, it becomes too easy for the powers that be to write it off as a lawful shooting of some gangbanger with a gun.  

21 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

yes.  It's graphic only in the sense that it's a guy being pinned down by two cops and summarily executed.  

there's no gore that I could see or anything like that.

Cheers man, but thankfully I'm spared.

LKG: My thoughts exactly. They went pretty far down the road, too. He was reaching for his gun, criminal, cameras fell off, etc. Without the filming, the eyewitnesses who strongly disagreed with the police version would have been dismissed as cranks if they were ever even heard of. Really depressing. 

A second video has been released.  It's even more disturbing.  I didn't realize how many times he'd been shot.  I had to close my eyes because I couldn't bear to watch it again.  The store owner has previously stated that the cops removed a gun from his pocket (Louisiana is an open carry state, btw), and this video might support that. 

Well I am sure the department is very grateful for the outsiders videos after their own officer''s cameras fell off.

My question is how many officer's were supposed to have cameras involved in this.

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Got the video here, be forewarned though, it's disturbing:

This is pretty disgusting. Every time I see something like this it makes me think of the old adage about mice. For every one that you see, there's a dozen that you don't. How often must this happen without the public being aware of it because we don't have somebody on hand filming.

Evidently the cops were wearing body cams, but they supposedly "fell off" during the struggle.

"Fell off"???

What a load of bullshit.

At some point convenient camera malfunctions need to be treated as circumstantial evidence of guilt and/or an additional charge making the sentencing more severe when wrongdoing is found. Current the cameras are worse than a joke, they are always sabotaged when the police do something wrong but are treated as though having them ensures appropriate behaviour. At least there are so many other cameras around now it's hard to get them all.

25 minutes ago, karaddin said:

At some point convenient camera malfunctions need to be treated as circumstantial evidence of guilt and/or an additional charge making the sentencing more severe when wrongdoing is found. Current the cameras are worse than a joke, they are always sabotaged when the police do something wrong but are treated as though having them ensures appropriate behaviour. At least there are so many other cameras around now it's hard to get them all.

If the cameras keep "falling off" or otherwise "malfunctioning" at very convenient times that will have to happen.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the cameras keep "falling off" or otherwise "malfunctioning" at very convenient times that will have to happen.

I feel like you're already at the point where you can say it is continually happening. This is far from the first.

There was another one tonight in Minnesota. His name was Philando Castile. He was shot 4 times while sitting in the passenger seat in front of his girlfriend and his 4-5 year old daughter. They were pulled over for a broken taillight. He notified the officer that he had a weapon on him, one that he has a license to carry concealed. He was getting his license like he was told to do, he was then told to put his hands up, and while he was putting his hands up the officer shot him. The girlfriend then turned the camera on and you see her boyfriend gasping for air with his white shirt covered in blood. The cop then starts saying he told him not to blah blah blah. The girlfriend uploaded the video to her facebook page, facebook took it down and her account is now deactivated and she is still in custody. Fucking cops man. 

Sad, i dont see why the man had to be shot when he was pinned. no taser? im all for cops  protecting themselves if their own life is in jeopardy, but this is almost as bad as the one with the cop who tried planting the tazer on the man he just killed. guns in the hands of people to willing to use them will result in many more of these stories.

4 hours ago, Harakiri said:

There was another one tonight in Minnesota. His name was Philando Castile. He was shot 4 times while sitting in the passenger seat in front of his girlfriend and his 4-5 year old daughter. They were pulled over for a broken taillight. He notified the officer that he had a weapon on him, one that he has a license to carry concealed. He was getting his license like he was told to do, he was then told to put his hands up, and while he was putting his hands up the officer shot him. The girlfriend then turned the camera on and you see her boyfriend gasping for air with his white shirt covered in blood. The cop then starts saying he told him not to blah blah blah. The girlfriend uploaded the video to her facebook page, facebook took it down and her account is now deactivated and she is still in custody. Fucking cops man.

This link to a CNN article has a link to the video:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/index.html

Archived