The Winds of Winter progress monitor thread

grufolo

The winds of Winter should have been released before show season 6 started, then it was delayed, but since GRRM hoped to finish it before the show started in 2015-16, shouldn't it be coming withing 2016 at least? Can we use this thread to keep track of book #6 editorial news?

I am starving for information, and it seems i can't find any at the moment, is there a place reporting the deadlines set as time went for the release?

9 hours ago, grufolo said:

The winds of Winter should have been released before show season 6 started, then it was delayed, but since GRRM hoped to finish it before the show started in 2015-16, shouldn't it be coming withing 2016 at least? Can we use this thread to keep track of book #6 editorial news?

I am starving for information, and it seems i can't find any at the moment, is there a place reporting the deadlines set as time went for the release?

IIRC, the whole "It will be done by the end of the year" thing went on for ~5 years last time. Just to keep things realistic.

S7 of the show is airing later this year than usual, probably mid-to-late May.  So GRRM has until around Feb to announce Winds if he wants to get it out before the show airs.  He can't miss another deadline, right?  <_<

37 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

I'm not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that he wrote three chapters in six months and I literally laughed. Poor us.

He said on his blog he was joking when he said that.  But if you read his "Talking About the Dance" blog post where he detailed his progress on ADWD, he went from 542 pages in Jan. 2006 to 596 pages in March 2008....54 pages in 2 YEARS!  :wacko: 

He blamed rewrites for that, but still, that's even worse than the 3 chapters in 6 months he claimed was a joke.  That kind of progress is just horrifying to think about.    

2 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

S7 of the show is airing later this year than usual, probably mid-to-late May.  So GRRM has until around Feb to announce Winds if he wants to get it out before the show airs.  He can't miss another deadline, right?  <_<

He said on his blog he was joking when he said that.  But if you read his "Talking About the Dance" blog post where he detailed his progress on ADWD, he went from 542 pages in Jan. 2006 to 596 pages in March 2008....54 pages in 2 YEARS!  :wacko: 

He blamed rewrites for that, but still, that's even worse than the 3 chapters in 6 months he claimed was a joke.  That kind of progress is just horrifying to think about.    

As slow as GRRM may be, he wished to have it ready for last Fall, so over nine months later i expect GRRM to be much closer to having it done than he was then, when he still hoped it to be done quickly.

I really am trying to figure out how much of it may still need working on after such a long interval of time. Do you think it's a couple of chapters or it's just some finishing and rewriting here and there?

It's not worth putting much stock in anything. The delay for Feast was blamed on the scrapping of the 5 year gap and we were told Dance would be out in about a year. Dance's delay was blamed on the Meereenese knot, with the implication that huge chunks of Winds was completed and the wait wouldn't be so long. Here we are 5 years later. Not to mention the hubbub about an October and December deadline that he thought feasible.

Best to just be pleasantly surprised. Especially since the minute you put down that book, it's on to the next one.

Based on what I have read, heard and analyzed:

At best: Late 2016 - early 2017.

At realistic worst: Late 2017 - early 2018.

There are some good predictions based on previous books & tempo.

And asking GRRM about it is similiar to asking a child about Einsteins theories. Not only doesn´t he know, but he will be unable to give you even the slightest hint. He simply doesn´t know.

Archived