The Winds of Winter progress monitor thread

grufolo

15 hours ago, SuperMario said:

You will get no accurate information regarding the release date other than on GRRM's own blog. Everything else is just conjecture.

Just what SuperMario said. George had said that the only Winds info to trust is what is on his site. Not a Blog

Also, last month at Balticon, GRRM was asked during an interview with John Picacio (ASOIAF artist) what part of "Kong" he was working on and George said a Cersei chapter. No other Winds details, though. 

George will be at Midamericon  at the end of August, so I would expect IF we get any updates, it could be then. 

11 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

The Winds of Winter may or may not be released this year or sometime in the next five. How is that for info?

Schrodinger's Winter.

How long will it take the book to come out after an announcement that GRMM has finished writing? Will he announce, and then edit for six months, before release, or can he hold off news of editing and suddenly say the book will be published, say, three weeks from now? Is it possible that we can still get a summer release? 

I have a bad feeling that he hasn't written much beyond the sample chapters which seemed like they were written for A Dance with Dragons anyways.  But who knows, I could be totally wrong.  I was really upset that The Winds of Winter was not released prior to season 6, but after watching season 6 it doesn't matter.  I guarantee that 90% of the things we saw this season will not occur in the novel.  The reason I know this is because 90% of the things on the show make absolutely no sense.

I have tried to fill this waiting time by reading another series by Robert Jordan called "The Wheel of Time".  I've read 6 of these novels so far, and if you think A Feast for Crows or a Dance for Dragons was slow moving, try reading these.

In the meantime, I have picked up another series by Patrick Rothfuss called the Kingkiller Chronicle.  It's really, really good and has a nice pace to it.  The first novel is called "The Name of the Wind".

4 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I have a bad feeling that he hasn't written much beyond the sample chapters which seemed like they were written for A Dance with Dragons anyways.  But who knows, I could be totally wrong.  I was really upset that The Winds of Winter was not released prior to season 6, but after watching season 6 it doesn't matter.  I guarantee that 90% of the things we saw this season will not occur in the novel.  The reason I know this is because 90% of the things on the show make absolutely no sense.

I have tried to fill this waiting time by reading another series by Robert Jordan called "The Wheel of Time".  I've read 6 of these novels so far, and if you think A Feast for Crows or a Dance for Dragons was slow moving, try reading these.

In the meantime, I have picked up another series by Patrick Rothfuss called the Kingkiller Chronicle.  It's really, really good and has a nice pace to it.  The first novel is called "The Name of the Wind".

A lot of the sample chapters are super old, and at the start of the story- in TWOW. Considering he had a personal deadline that he missed of finishing before this season, I don't think he didn't write beyond the sample chapters. Most importantly he said he wrote hundreds of pages and dozens of chapters. http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

The problem is, suppose he wrote hundreds of pages, which is what he said he did, and what we have no reason to disbelieve, the book might need several other hundred pages to finish. These books are huge. Consider rewrites and GRRM consistently missing deadlines and it isn't really that easy to expect what will happen.

I think 2017 because usually books take him about 5-6 years.  At least the last two. But we can't really know at this point.

17 hours ago, grufolo said:

As slow as GRRM may be, he wished to have it ready for last Fall, so over nine months later i expect GRRM to be much closer to having it done than he was then, when he still hoped it to be done quickly.

I really am trying to figure out how much of it may still need working on after such a long interval of time. Do you think it's a couple of chapters or it's just some finishing and rewriting here and there?

He said he was about 25% done in April 2013, that would be about 375 pages for a book he claims will be ~1500 pages total.  I believe he said once that he completes about 300 pages a year on average, so 375 + 900 (300 x 3 years since that interview) should put him at around 1300+ pages by now...unless he's been bogged down by rewrites, which is entirely possible.

I'm betting on July 2017 for a release date myself.  I don't think he will beat the S7 premiere.  We will get another January blog post where he apologizes for being slow and begs fans not to give him grief over it again imo.  

For the optimistic at heart if you click on more appearances on Martin’s blog you will notice that there is a rather large gap between December 4, 2016 and May 10, 2017.

When I saw that I thought to myself ummm, book promotion. Only time will tell.

8 hours ago, Qhorin Halfhand and Yoren said:

A lot of the sample chapters are super old, and at the start of the story- in TWOW. Considering he had a personal deadline that he missed of finishing before this season, I don't think he didn't write beyond the sample chapters. Most importantly he said he wrote hundreds of pages and dozens of chapters. http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

The problem is, suppose he wrote hundreds of pages, which is what he said he did, and what we have no reason to disbelieve, the book might need several other hundred pages to finish. These books are huge. Consider rewrites and GRRM consistently missing deadlines and it isn't really that easy to expect what will happen.

I think 2017 because usually books take him about 5-6 years.  At least the last two. But we can't really know at this point.

I'm really hoping that the nonsensical storytelling from season 6 of the tv series has really motivated George to release a story that actually makes sense.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

For the optimistic at heart if you click on more appearances on Martin’s blog you will notice that there is a rather large gap between December 4, 2016 and May 10, 2017.

When I saw that I thought to myself ummm, book promotion. Only time will tell.

I did happen to notice that ;). I check his blog 2-43 times a day.

I don't know why, but I just can't shake the hope that the book is closer to finishing than he realizes. I know it is childish, but I kinda do feel like a kid waiting for Christmas where the wait was always the worst and longest time of all existence. All of this positivism is highly unnatural and out of character for me, so yes, I confuse myself on a daily basis :dunno:

On 07/07/2016 at 11:15 AM, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

This probably belongs in TWOW sub forum. 

It would, if there were anything to report.

If and when there is news, we will start a thread in that forum. When there is no news, as now, there is no point or purpose to discussion and so there will be no threads in any forum.

Archived