Is the story we are watching now "official" royal propaganda?

illinifan

I just read this neat theory based on Sam's scene in the library.  http://io9.gizmodo.com/sam-tarly-has-a-theory-about-why-game-of-thrones-gyrosc-1783193308  

Are we actually viewing events the way that official regime wants Westros (and us) to see the events?  Is that why Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are the heroes of the story?  

One theme I love in the stories is the idea that history can be seen through different perspectives and it is written by the winners.  The most fun was obviously the play in Braavos and how it is not the story that we've heard. 

I tend to think that it isn't the sanitized version of events.  Both Jon and Dany's character flaws are on display.  But I do think that we will get a sanitized "official" version of events before the series ends.  I'd love to hear a heroic (and untrue) ballad about the Battle for Winterfell myself.

Except beings circles, I'm not sure they are the same. The things in the opening credits seem to be a planetarium. But the books' chapters are all written as the personal journals of different peoples. So I could imagine someone, a maester probably, would have collected all these journals and made a series of books. And Sam would be the perfect measter for that.

9 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Except beings circles, I'm not sure they are the same. The things in the opening credits seem to be a planetarium. But the books' chapters are all written as the personal journals of different peoples. So I could imagine someone, a maester probably, would have collected all these journals and made a series of books. And Sam would be the perfect measter for that.

When Sam practice archery he told Jon how guy with whom he practice have great stories and someone should wrote them. Jon said to him, maybe you should wrote them. It could be some kind of clue.

19 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Well, that would mean Sam absolutely hates the Dornish because he's depicting them like shit. 

He is a Tarly, as the son of a Marcher Lord hating the Dornish was his mother's milk. Of course he would depict them like shit. The show depicting Tarly hating on the Wildlings in specific is odd, considering that the Reach as a region has never seen one, and has no reason to care. The Dornish have raided them for generations, and the Marcher lords were always there to beat them back.

Sam depicted his father as worse and more bigoted than he already was in his story?  Perhaps Randyll Tarly is more reasonable.

And I am not sure how much I buy of this theory.  If the political endgame is some sort of personal union between King Jon and Queen Dany and this is official propaganda, woudn't both be less flawed than the show depicts them?  The official regime history wouldn't describe an important battle where the King leads his troops into a trap because he is suffering an emotional breakdown which was conpunded by seeing his brother murdered in front of him.  I however do think that we will continue to see the censured and rewritten version of history just like we saw the play in Braavos and the competing histories about Rhaegar.  I would personal love a sanitized and official version of the Battle of Winterfell which does not represent the battle we saw.

4 hours ago, illinifan said:

Sam depicted his father as worse and more bigoted than he already was in his story?  Perhaps Randyll Tarly is more reasonable.

Everyone hates the wildlings. And more so those obsessed with law and order. I totally see Randyll Tarly hating the wildlings. In books, like in show, he sent his son to the Wall, only to die there.

On 07/07/2016 at 7:44 PM, Lyin' Ned said:

Well, that would mean Sam absolutely hates the Dornish because he's depicting them like shit. 

It is D&D who must hate Dorne. Book Dorne have the Sand Snakes, Arianne, Doran. And they are quite interesting. The problem is most people don't see Dorne's link with the rest of the story (meaning Aegon and Daenrys). And they are quite late in the story. So are raising less interest than the early characters.

1 hour ago, illinifan said:

The Sand Snakes and Arianne are boring in the books as well.  And Quentyn is a complete idiot.  The end.

And Dorne is where Dany lands which is why it is important.  That is the role it plays in the endgame.  

Quentyn was an idiot. Doesn't mean his death will not be without consequences. Sorry for you if you did find Dorne boring. Personally, I enjoyed every part of ASoIaF. Some needed more time and more reread to appreciate. Don't assume everyone has the same reading and opinion as you.

Archived