Two story inconsistencies.

Adam141414

These two incidents believe me to think GOT has broken its own 'rules'. 

One, was when the mountain attacked Loras in season 1. Loras being the heir to Highgarden, was almost killed. Even though not killed, he was attacked. How did the mountain escape punishment by attacking the heir to Highgarden? House Tyrell would have certainly demanded the mountains head, and if refused by his overlord - Tywin Lannister, then surely that is enough to commence a war between House Tyrell and House Lannister. Surely something more of it should have been made. 

Another is Locke cutting off Jamie's hand. Given Roose Bolton was commencing negotiations with Tywin Lannister to betray the Starks, why did Roose Bolton not throw Locke in a dungeon, in the case Jamie tells Tywin who cut off his hand, as Tywin could have demanded retribution. Instead Roose Bolton sends Locke to hunt down the Stark boys. When The Bolton-Lannister alliance was made, Locke became a dead man walking. If I were Roose, I would have imprisoned Locke in case Tywin demanded the man responsible for maiming Jamie. 

The Locke thing really annoyed me. Especially when two seasons earlier Tywin attacked the Riverlands just because Catelyn had taken Tyrion prisoner. 

Another massive inconsistent part was Stannis in S5. "Finest military commander in all of Westeros" who is then turned into a bumbling idiot who sleeps through half his army leaving with all the horses and supplies and doesn't have any scouts or guards. 

Im pretty sure that the two issues could have been sorted out diplomatically off screen.

The Lannisters and the Tyrells are very close to one another, two very rich and very diplomatic houses wouldnt fight over such a thing.

Tywin seemed like the type who cared very little for his children, and I think that he would trade in his son's right hand for the destruction of his enemies anyday. 

Locke was officially punished for maiming Jamie by being sent to the Wall which gave Roose the chance to send a secret agent there to go after Jon and the Stark boys.

That was actually a pretty clever move from Roose imho,

1 hour ago, aFeastForDragons said:

The Locke thing really annoyed me. Especially when two seasons earlier Tywin attacked the Riverlands just because Catelyn had taken Tyrion prisoner. 

Another massive inconsistent part was Stannis in S5. "Finest military commander in all of Westeros" who is then turned into a bumbling idiot who sleeps through half his army leaving with all the horses and supplies and doesn't have any scouts or guards. 

Haven't read the books, but on the show it made sense to me. It wasn't his lack of military awareness that does him in, it's his blind ruthlessness in his quest for power. He burns his own daughter which causes many of his men to defect, and stubbornly refuses to head back to the Wall when the weather is bad because he knows this will be his only opportunity. 

1 hour ago, LatrineDiggerBrian said:

Haven't read the books, but on the show it made sense to me. It wasn't his lack of military awareness that does him in, it's his blind ruthlessness in his quest for power. He burns his own daughter which causes many of his men to defect, and stubbornly refuses to head back to the Wall when the weather is bad because he knows this will be his only opportunity. 

Sleeping through half your army leaving does not make sense. Nobody thinks to wake him up or even lift a finger to stop people from making off with all the horses that they need. They even take the King's horse. The whole plot was dumb with some of the worst writing the show has had to date. I don't know how you can have a 10 million budget and not pay someone 10 dollars to point out all the plot holes and inconsistent writing in a script. 

To be fair on the Loras part, he did use a horse in heat to mess with the Mountain's horse did he not? Or am I mixing up my stories now? And then after the extracurricular activities went on for a minute, Robert put and end to it. I kinda think that ended it. Loras got away with the sketchy win, the Mountain got away with a few swipes in anger.

4 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

In the books was actually a mercenary leader, Vargo Hoat, who ordered Jaime's maiming, He later had a horrible death by the hands of the Mountain

And don't forget who it was who unleashed Vargo Hoat and his Brave Companions on the Riverlands in the first place - Tywin Lannister.  In the books, it was very much a consequence of Tywin's own actions that ultimately resulted in the maiming of his son Jaime;)

3 hours ago, Snoop Arryn said:

To be fair on the Loras part, he did use a horse in heat to mess with the Mountain's horse did he not? Or am I mixing up my stories now? And then after the extracurricular activities went on for a minute, Robert put and end to it. I kinda think that ended it. Loras got away with the sketchy win, the Mountain got away with a few swipes in anger.

Well, Sandor stepping in and defending Loras from his brother Gregor really saved the day by preventing Loras from actually being injured or killed.  Sandor saved Loras by stepping in but he also saved Gregor from the obvious repercussions he would have suffered if he had hurt or killed Loras.  Sandor also saved Robert from having to do any more in a "no harm, no foul" sort of way.  He really, really earned his winner's purse at that tourney;)   

In Locke's case they probably wanted to get all they could out of Noah Taylor, who's a wonderful and underrated actor.

My biggest inconsistency is Varys supporting Dany. He hates magic and all who practice it. She is a magic fire proof woman who hatched her magic dragons with blood magic. I can buy him giving her the means to invade Westeros with savages so a contender of his choosing can defeat her and take the throne as is theorized in the books, but here it seems like they cut the aforementioned contender and had to backpedal.  

Archived