Bakker XLV: Optimal Tip-to-Tip Damnation (no TGO Spoilers)

lokisnow

On July 30, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Ghjhero said:

Amazon has updated the delivery date to August 15th, one day AFTER I leave to go back to school. This is exactly what I was hopingwouldnt happen, this cutting it close!

The No-God has relented!!! tGO has arrived! The slog of slogs begins again!

I note Orbit has put the Unholy Consult op for pre-order on Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unholy-Consult-R-Scott-Bakker/dp/0356508714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470601159&sr=1-1

This is a new listing. Probably means the US edition will not be out later than July either.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I note Orbit has put the Unholy Consult op for pre-order on Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unholy-Consult-R-Scott-Bakker/dp/0356508714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470601159&sr=1-1

This is a new listing. Probably means the US edition will not be out later than July either.

That link goes to TGO for me. A search for TUC says it is currently unavailable. Might have been a blip?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0356508714/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZPIZL1L5MH4S&coliid=I2DSJBHDNJMJU3

Does this work for you? Problem is Amazon links often re-rout to the Amazon country you are actually in.

Otherwise go to amazon UK, search on R. Scott Bakker and select by publication date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3AR.+Scott+Bakker&qid=1470731842&sort=date-desc-rank

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0356508714/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZPIZL1L5MH4S&coliid=I2DSJBHDNJMJU3

Does this work for you? Problem is Amazon links often re-rout to the Amazon country you are actually in.

Otherwise go to amazon UK, search on R. Scott Bakker and select by publication date.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_date-desc-rank?rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3AR.+Scott+Bakker&qid=1470731842&sort=date-desc-rank

The links didn't work but going there and searching did. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Maelys I Blackfyre said:

Only had the Aspect-Emperor series at Chapters, so I picked up the Judging Eye. We'll see how it goes, having never read any of his other stuff before, besides a few excerpts from The Darkness That Comes Before... A few pages in, already getting a kind of Malazan feel from it, though.

19 minutes ago, Madness said:

I'm very curious to grok an innocent reader's perspective on The Aspect-Emperor tetralogy without having read The Prince of Nothing trilogy.

I can't even imagine how that would work...

On 9/25/2016 at 7:35 PM, Maelys I Blackfyre said:

Only had the Aspect-Emperor series at Chapters, so I picked up the Judging Eye. We'll see how it goes, having never read any of his other stuff before, besides a few excerpts from The Darkness That Comes Before... A few pages in, already getting a kind of Malazan feel from it, though.

That uh, makes little sense. LIke jumping into the wheel to time at book 8.

15 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Kinda cool thing happened to me today. I just started reading The Darkness that Comes Before a week or so ago, and this has been my first introduction to Bakker's work. Almost on a whim I went to a yard sale earlier today and found an entire set of The Second Apocalypse books (minus The Warrior Prophet) for like $20, all first print editions.

Still reading the first book, but I've got more or less the complete set now. Here they are all lined up next to my GRRM first editions.

I suppose I'll have to track down a matching copy of The Warrior Prophet if I wind up liking the series. The one in the bundle was a paperback.

Someone who owns all those books in hardcover selling them is a bit weird.   I mean, given the sales on the books, it's quite possibly someone here or on the Second Apocalypse forum. 

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So as somebody very new to the series, I have a quick question. I've heard different things from different places, and I don't want to look this up myself and risk spoiling something. Is the conclusion of the Aspect Emperor series supposed to be the end of TSA, or is Bakker planning a third cycle of books?

Yes, there are plans for two books to follow, although that may end up being more.

2 hours ago, Damned with the Wind said:

Someone who owns all those books in hardcover selling them is a bit weird.   I mean, given the sales on the books, it's quite possibly someone here or on the Second Apocalypse forum. 

Not to be too morbid but people selling dead relatives'  stuff don't know the value of some things and just want to get rid of them. I think I'd rather that was the case than someone being in a situation where they have to sell them (although they'd be selling them on ebay rather than bargain basement). I'm pretty sure there are collectors who swing by charity shops to find such gems in terms of books, vinyls etc on the off-chance of finding such gems.

Better they land in the hands of someone who likes the books rather than someone who just gets them to sell on at a profit!

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Could have also belonged to a minor. Their folks flip through one of the books their kid is reading, see the stuff about black semen and monster-rape, sell the books and ship the kid off to Bible bootcamp.

Ha. That would be the appropriate response - possibly burn the book just to be safe though.

Archived