Something about that gap ?

Poupsi

GRRM had declared that he wanted to do a 4 years gap (or something like that) in order to better bring asoiaf end game ?

What if he intended to say "I might not be able to do that one but still I have to do the last 25 years gap" ?

What would you say? And what would that be?

Well a gap has to happen. In FfC it might not work for some plots and probably thats why it was avoided, but after WoW he need one long gap. Long Night is coming and winter Planetos hasnt seen in 8K years and I dont buy they cam defeat oOthers in couple of months because last time it took the a generation.

7 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

Well a gap has to happen. In FfC it might not work for some plots and probably thats why it was avoided, but after WoW he need one long gap. Long Night is coming and winter Planetos hasnt seen in 8K years and I dont buy they cam defeat oOthers in couple of months because last time it took the a generation.

Last time they didn't have dragons. We'll have to see how long it takes Dany to make it over there

The gap was needed because he started off the kids off too young originally, if I remember correctly.

You can suppose that Arya would have spent 5 years in Braavos, Sansa possibly in the vale, Rickon on Skaagos or something, Bran becoming the 3-eyed Raven, Dany becoming an adult and Jon being the commander of the Night's Watch.

Problem turned out that other stuff couldn't handle not going anywhere for 5 years, and that there'd be too many flashbacks and too much exposition for what happened in the meantime.

15 hours ago, dariopatke said:

You cant know that for sure and without a gap dragons are too small to fight Others.

Drogon is big enough for Dany to ride. The dragons would make some kind of impact.

15 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Winter will slow travel down a lot, that can expand things that were taking months to taking years.

Agreed. Just look at what's been happening to Stannis.

I think there will be a gap between TWoW and ADoS. It will take some time to find a way to stop The Others so in that gap they will try to find a way which takes some time ofcourse. In ADoS it would continue in the climax.

Or not, and the dragons will swoop them all away in a few seconds. But that is a bit anticlimax in my opinion.

On 7/9/2016 at 3:20 AM, lujo said:

The gap was needed because he started off the kids off too young originally, if I remember correctly.

I got your point. Too many are still too young to  fight, or anything.

Still that wasn't what i thought. What if the endgame needs a gap anyway ?

It is really up to the author, but if he meant that the last character needed that long (even a longer one) gap, what would it be? 

33 minutes ago, Poupsi said:

I got your point. Too many are still too young to  fight, or anything.

Yeah, although it's not my point, it's Martins AFAIK (you can probably google it up). He even jokes about it in AFFC  somewhere when Littlefinger is a tiny bit vexed because basically "he thought he would have a few years to do something, but whatevs".

Still that wasn't what i thought. What if the endgame needs a gap anyway ?

This seems to have been the biggest technical obstacle to writing AFFC and ADWD. The original endgame almost certainly needed the gap. Who knows if we're looking at the original endgame in relation to the gap.

It is really up to the author, but if he meant that the last character needed that long (even a longer one) gap, what would it be? 

Since it's a 5 year gap initaly, you just have to look at the Stark kids to see where that takes them. Where Sansa was heading was to becoming "the most beautiful woman in the world" and also someone who isn't 13 so that she can have sex without it being child molesting. It's also possible that Sweetrobin was also supposed to be older than he is currently, too.

Rickon is little more than a toddler. Arya wouldn't have been 18 but she would have been of an age where she can develop a sexuality without it being unintentionally seen as pedophilia. Same with Bran, possibly.

How quickly Ramsay reduced Theon to Reek also seems kinda like it was supposed to happen over a longer period of time. Cersei going nuts might have been sped up to a bit of an unrealistic speed, and Tommen was possibly supposed to be older.

What I'm getting at is that a bunch of it might have already been abandoned/resolved already. Say he wraps up everything that can't stand a gap in Winds of Winter, then does a time skip - he'll probably be looking at the same problems he would have been lookin at with the original gap.

2 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

The end of the book must have a gap of a few years here and there. The winter is hardly going to last 6 months and then go back to Summer. 

What makes you think it's going to go back to summer? The book is called "A dream of spring"? Why would you dream of spring in the summer? You dream of spring in the winter. No need for gap based on the title.

On 2016. 7. 9. at 1:43 AM, Poupsi said:

GRRM had declared that he wanted to do a 4 years gap (or something like that) in order to better bring asoiaf end game ?

What if he intended to say "I might not be able to do that one but still I have to do the last 25 years gap" ?

What would you say? And what would that be?

A gap between the books (ie a long winter before the final defeat of the WW) sounds like it makes sense for the books. Probably won't be in the show, IMO.

But just imagine the impact on Westeros. In addition to the terror of WW invading south of the wall at some point. Winter really arriving in full force (darkness all the time, snow several feet high, freezing all over) and lasting for a couple of years before the end potentially makes the later books and seasons of the show very dark indeed. We might get a good dose of Old Nan's stories coming true, along with people starving and dying all over, and carnage from battles and wights on top of that. I feel like ASOIAF darkness is just starting to spread, and we'll get scenes that make Euron seem light in comparison.

5 hours ago, lujo said:

What makes you think it's going to go back to summer? The book is called "A dream of spring"? Why would you dream of spring in the summer? You dream of spring in the winter. No need for gap based on the title.

It wouldn't feel complete. The book would hardly end with a ton of characters frozen in the snow and the future of Westeros up in the air. 

Although a Winter that never ends that destroys Westeros would be a fitting end. 

8 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

It wouldn't feel complete. The book would hardly end with a ton of characters frozen in the snow and the future of Westeros up in the air. 

Although a Winter that never ends that destroys Westeros would be a fitting end. 

Maybe the book ends with a white raven bringing news of spring. It probably wouldn't make it all the way back to summer though.

I like the speculation I'm seeing here. The biggest problem for me about the books (and show I guess, if they still faithful to this) is the giant shift that seems unavoidable when the Others breach the Wall. A medieval political thriller suddenly becomes a zombie apocalypse survival story. I'm not really looking forward to that. A gap of time is almost necessary to make the threat of the Others credible; Dany just swooping in and roasting them shortly after they invade Westeros is kinda silly considering all of their buildup.

On the other hand, if the Others are supposed to take over and "win" before the surviving characters begin their quest to destroy them, how boring will that be to read? Just a bunch of POV characters who either succumb to the zombie horde or else just run for their lives further and further south for countless pages. A gap could be useful in avoiding this, but still...if A Dream of Spring is basically cover-to-cover an entirely different tone/genre than the rest of the series, it will probably be my least favorite book in the series.

Archived