Realm of the Elderlings Discussion (spoilers)

oberonus

I was just doing a re read of Hobb's books while waiting for the final Fitz and Fool book, when something dawned on me. Did the Fool really need to go to out islands to free Icefyre for the Dragons to come back in this world? his torture and death seem to have been needless. The sea serpents had hatched before Icefyre was freed. in the Rain wild Chronicles, they make it to Kelsingra without Icefyre or Titanglia and eventually mature to full dragons thank to the journey and the silver well they find.

Assuming Icefyre wasn't found.. wouldn't all that have still happened? Which means the Pale Woman failed long before Fitz and co made it to Asvenjal island. 

I think they needed an old school dragon to show them how to not fuck up the whole dragoning thing.  They seem like a bunch of selfish dicks for the most part, but I think even Icefyre has a vested interest in seeing the species survive.  Having a mature dragon to guide them in the beginning of their growth (even from afar) I think is helpful.  

Been a while since I read them there books (at least the middle three) but that's the impression I took from it. 

There is also the Pale Woman to contend with, if The Fool hadn't gone to Aslevjal she would still have been alive and who knows what she could have done? She could have completed her dragon, for example and done terrible damage with it.

Another thing I consider is that the dragons aren't the be all and end all of the Fool's plan. They are part of it, but he is also trying to unify the world. The Six Duchies are allied with the Mountain Kingdom and the Outislands, they negotiated trade agreements with Bingtown. In the South there is the big Jamailia, Bingtown, Rain Wilds, Pirate Isles coalition. Each book seems to present an ever more unified world,and that is The Fools plan IMO. Going to Aslevjal was an essential part of that to secure the marriage of Dutiful and Elliania

It turned out that no, Icefyre's rescue was not essential and since he is quite the asshole and practically left pregnant Tingtalia for dead, he might have been damaging.

However at the time the serpents that had hatched did not appear viable and still Icefyre has memories the others have lost.

They definitely became less dickish after becoming full dragons but once they are I can see why they have the arrogance they have.

I forgot about icefyre's memories. They actually mention that in the epilogue of the last book 

Archived